Virgin, Utah Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo fellas. :wave:

Did I just miss an Arcade Fire running diary?

I listened to Frusciante's Curtains the other day. it was pretty good, nothing too special. Hopefully the other ones will be better.

Wow, that's quite the pessimistic view after only two albums.

I recall in the 80's how people didn't think R.E.M. would be able to match Murmur, but they ended up doing ok, I'd say.

Well, it took them about 9 years and 6 albums to do it, but OK. :p (I love Murmur)

There's just something special about Funeral. It doesn't feel like any other record I've heard. I hope I'm wrong, if but Neon Bible and their EP is anything to by I'm probably not.

I think I love Neon Bible as much as the first album, if not more. The songs on Funeral are greater on an individual basis, especially Rebellion, oh my God, but NB is a more cohesive package.

Blood on the Tracks is the ultimate win :up:

PFan, you should check out Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection.

Yo fellas. :wave:

Did I just miss an Arcade Fire running diary?

I listened to Frusciante's Curtains the other day. it was pretty good, nothing too special. Hopefully the other ones will be better.

I went through both albums that you sent me (have yet to do the EP and B-sides), as well as Frusciante's The Will to Death and Who's Next. I'm now on Blood on the Tracks.

Curtains is all acoustic, right? I've not gotten there yet, but The Past Recedes is a great track off that album.

I think I love Neon Bible as much as the first album, if not more. The songs on Funeral are greater on an individual basis, especially Rebellion, oh my God, but NB is a more cohesive package.

Blood on the Tracks is the ultimate win :up:

PFan, you should check out Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection.

Rebellion definitely has a consistent tone to it, and while Funeral does too, I agree with you.

I really loved the opening track as well as Idiot Wind. The other two were pretty good, but those two are my favorites so far. On to track five...

Curtains is all acoustic. It takes a special type of album to keep my attention if it's all acoustic, you know? This one just didn't have it, but there were some great tracks on there, like the one you mentioned.

I'll read back to see your Funeral opinion.

This is actually how I regard both of these albums as well, and why I tend to give NB the edge.

As for Elton John, you can't go wrong with Tumbleweed, Captain Fantastic, or the self-titled album, but Goodbye Yellow Brick Road cannot be ignored.

My list of "Albums to Listen To" is currently 55 long.

This summer will be enjoyable.

If you wanna start with Radiohead, Pfan, I suggest you start with either In Rainbows (it's a great representation of their more stream-lined sound mixed with their electronica) or OK Computer (the masterpiece). The Bends would also be up your alley, too - an amazing Britpop album from the mid '90s and my favorite for quite some time.

Please tell me you just have your years messed up.

Life's Rich Pageant? Document?

While Murmur is still my favorite, those two albums are five star classics and cannot be discounted.

Document I'll give you. It's not a cohesive masterpiece like Murmur but very strong just the same. I honestly have never been able to get into Life's Rich Pageant. :reject: Automatic For The People is the only one I prefer to Murmur.

Please tell me you just have your years messed up.

Life's Rich Pageant? Document?

While Murmur is still my favorite, those two albums are five star classics and cannot be discounted.
:lol:

can i make a confession? (i make a lot of music confessions here, hehe) i hardly own any of their albums. back in the mid-90s, i bought four of their albums. i got out of time, automatic for the people, and monster. i also just bought murmur on a whim cuz it was their first album. it turned out to be really good :lol: i've never bought any other albums of theirs :reject: never even downloaded any.

This is actually how I regard both of these albums as well, and why I tend to give NB the edge.

As for Elton John, you can't go wrong with Tumbleweed, Captain Fantastic, or the self-titled album, but Goodbye Yellow Brick Road cannot be ignored.

Also, I don't think they knew how to end their songs on Funeral. Listen to the endings of Wake Up, Crown of Love, Laika, or Power Out and compare them to the ends of Black Mirror, Ocean of Noise, No Cars Go, and Keep the Car Running.

A step in the right direction, for sure.

Curtains is all acoustic. It takes a special type of album to keep my attention if it's all acoustic, you know? This one just didn't have it, but there were some great tracks on there, like the one you mentioned.

I'll read back to see your Funeral opinion.

Yeah, Frusciante can really do some cool acoustic stuff, but I hear what you're saying.

He actually has done some live shows fully acoustic too. I posted a link the other night of him playing Bowie's Modern Love acoustically, and it's not half bad.

There's also one funny part of a gig where he claims he ripped off Bowie's Andy Warhol with the intro to Under the Bridge.

If you wanna start with Radiohead, Pfan, I suggest you start with either In Rainbows (it's a great representation of their more stream-lined sound mixed with their electronica) or OK Computer (the masterpiece). The Bends would also be up your alley, too - an amazing Britpop album from the mid '90s and my favorite for quite some time.

I actually agree with LM on this one - start with The Bends, then OK Computer.

Also, I don't think they knew how to end their songs on Funeral. Listen to the endings of Wake Up, Crown of Love, Laika, or Power Out and compare them to the ends of Black Mirror, Ocean of Noise, No Cars Go, and Keep the Car Running.

Wake Up sounds like they tried a Baby O'Riley style ending and failed. Never liked it, despite a great first three minutes or so.

this is true. goodbye yellow brick road is the only one i have on cd (the rest i just swipe from my mom's vinyl collection if i want to listen) and i love them :drool:

Document I'll give you. It's not a cohesive masterpiece like Murmur but very strong just the same. I honestly have never been able to get into Life's Rich Pageant. :reject: Automatic For The People is the only one I prefer to Murmur.

Oh, I think Document is exceptional all the way through and just as cohesive, and perhaps a tad better than Life's Rich Pageant.

Of course, of those three I still like Murmur the best as well.

AFTP is the absolute masterpiece for the "second half" of their career, so to speak.

:lol:

can i make a confession? (i make a lot of music confessions here, hehe) i hardly own any of their albums. back in the mid-90s, i bought four of their albums. i got out of time, automatic for the people, and monster. i also just bought murmur on a whim cuz it was their first album. it turned out to be really good :lol: i've never bought any other albums of theirs :reject: never even downloaded any.

:madwife:

That's me coming after you.

This I simply do not agree with at all. Wake Up has arguably their best ending. "You'd better look out for love!!!" Come on.

Ocean Of Noise though...fuck yeah. I can dig that.

I actually agree with LM on this one - start with The Bends, then OK Computer.

Starting with either those two or In Rainbows is cool with me. I just think In Rainbows is a good mix of their Bends/OK-era sound with their Kid A/Hail mentality.

This I simply do not agree with at all. Wake Up has arguably their best ending. "You'd better look out for love!!!" Come on.

Ocean Of Noise though...fuck yeah. I can dig that.

That line is great, but they do the "let's just speed the song up and shout a line at the end" ending at least 3 times on that album. It kind of works on Wake Up, I'll give you that, but almost ruins Crown of Love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom