Virgin, Utah Superthread - Page 35 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #511
The Male

Local Time: 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Also, I've never had much of an issue with Boy's production. It's funny and sad that it sounds better than albums like JT, Achtung, and HTDAAB.
AGREED.

Producers, turn up the damn bass. Listen to Boy and tell me you shouldn't. It propels the record.

Now.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #512
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:25 PM
Quote:
I don't know what I was hearing in 2004. Maybe my hearing's just improved a lot since then or I know what to listen for or something. Because it's absolutely undeniable from a technical perspective that the worst produced U2 album is HTDAAB. It's the whole "loudness wars" thing. The clipping on Crumbs is all the proof I need. I know when I bought the album, I wasn't aware of this sort of stuff and just thought the clipping on Crumbs was due to a slightly defective CD on my end.
i hate loudness wars. you know what's awesome? there's a satellite station i listen to often that sounds LOWER than the rest.

quietness wars

Old 06-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #513
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:
I don't know what I was hearing in 2004. Maybe my hearing's just improved a lot since then or I know what to listen for or something. Because it's absolutely undeniable from a technical perspective that the worst produced U2 album is HTDAAB. It's the whole "loudness wars" thing. The clipping on Crumbs is all the proof I need. I know when I bought the album, I wasn't aware of this sort of stuff and just thought the clipping on Crumbs was due to a slightly defective CD on my end.
That's my favorite track on the album and I don't know what clipping is. I've listened for defects and haven't heard any.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #514
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
i was about to say that

unfortunately i think ab and zooropa need a remaster only cuz they sound so...muffled i think. zooropa especially. atyclb sounds fine, it just sucks
Eh, ATYCLB does need a bit of work, though since I never play it, I can only think of Beautiful Day's guitar sounding like shit, like the higher notes are being played down a really tinny, low quality telephone line. But yeah, off memory it's produced better than Achtung and Zooropa. I have more of a problem with Achtung, simply because songs like Zoo Station and UTEOTW would be so much better if the production weren't so dire.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #515
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
AGREED.

Producers, turn up the damn bass. Listen to Boy and tell me you shouldn't. It propels the record.
Turning the bass up has never, ever been a problem from my standpoint.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #516
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:55 PM
Quote:
bonnie!
Khanga!

Quote:
Hey cats.
boo the cats!

Hi bonnie

I still prefer them to the Pies!
Old 06-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #517
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
The UYMFA collective truly loved when the Train would make a stop. Feel free to PM me your guess.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #518
The Male

Quote:
All I listen for is whether or not the instruments are mixed properly. On AB, they're not. On HTDAAB, they generally are.

It is too damn loud though. This is a fact.

Now.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #519
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Our reactions were normal. I mean c'mon. 4 Years between albums?, We'd been waiting. Ever since we got that little 5 second snippet/preview of Vertigo....and then the beach clips before that. Maybe we believed Bono's hype?.

I just think. I know its in my case. i've gone out and discovered a lot of new/different music. And I've gone from being basically "centered around U2 for 4 years", to opening my eyes to a whole new world!

The new album might have the same reaction when it leaks, it might not. I know i'll be jumping out of my skin again when track 2 is leaked (well we'll already have track 1, the lead single weeks in advance )
Old 06-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #520
Blue Crack Supplier

AB kills Edge's guitar. See: Zoo Station, EBTTRT, UTEOTW, TTTYAATW, LIB.

When you kill your best thing, that's not good.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #521
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
banghead:
We at a Metal concert? Be careful.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #522
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
That's my favorite track on the album and I don't know what clipping is. I've listened for defects and haven't heard any.
I've noticed it from the very first listen, but as I said, initially thought it was due to a defect on my CD. It's quite noticeable in the intro.

Also, I can't stand how Bono sounds every time he sings the letter 's' in Crumbs, simply due to the production.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-01-2008, 11:38 PM   #523
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Turning the bass up has never, ever been a problem from my standpoint.

What would Out Of Control be without its kickass bass intro? On Achtung, it would just be this grungy mess with a guitar surfacing from the murk just in time for the drums to kick in.

Now.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:38 PM   #524
Blue Crack Addict

Well, I'm out for the night.

By the time I'm back, Ax will as usual be the only one around.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:38 PM   #525
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Eh, ATYCLB does need a bit of work, though since I never play it, I can only think of Beautiful Day's guitar sounding like shit, like the higher notes are being played down a really tinny, low quality telephone line. But yeah, off memory it's produced better than Achtung and Zooropa. I have more of a problem with Achtung, simply because songs like Zoo Station and UTEOTW would be so much better if the production weren't so dire.
how to fix atyclb and htdaab: make them out of print

Tags
superthread