Viking Kittens!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that is ridiculously amusing. especially when the kittens bust out with the "aaaaaaaaaaahhh-ahs!"

:laugh:

what can I say....?

Who makes these things?
truly, acid flows through their veins like blood

can't wait to show this to the boys...Led Zepp fans..hahahahahaha

'From out of the north like an icy wind....
The vikittens, the vikittens, the vikittens..."
Some should remake the old TV series. I'd give the ginger kitten the lead..:lmao:

Our local basket-ball team are called the Vikings....the supporters arrive looking a bit like that. I think they should show that on a big screen before each game......that would make the other team nervous...miaow..at least distract them a bit!

Thanks Not George :hug: :happy:

well, after seeing this I forwarded it on to people in my office and as of today, it has officially been mentioned on the wall street journal's web site because of you people. See below.

-----------

VALHALLA MALL, I AM COMING!: Our office, like most any with high-speed Web links and e-mail, is awash in Web ephemera. Weird e-mail tales, you'll-never-believe-this Web sites and random Flash games are found amid online journeys or sent in by friends, and then we pass them along. Most peter out after being forwarded to a couple of pals; a few -- Henry Raddick's Amazon.com reviews and this insanely addicting golf game are two examples -- rocket around the entire office until most actual work has ground to a halt. Sometimes we read weeks later about other people finding these tidbits and marvel at how cool we were; other times we hang our heads in shame after discovering everyone else in cyberspace was bored of something before we heard of it. (Most famous example: "All your base are belong to us.")

A minor but still diverting addition to the roster arrived early last week, courtesy of a colleague [note from Sharky: that's me]. If you haven't seen it already, here is "Viking Kittens" to entertain you and some number of your friends and colleagues, according to the above rules. (One pal's amused reaction: "Oh, God. I think I'm having a seizure." Our also-amused reaction: We never realized just how stupid the lyrics to "Immigrant Song" are.) "Viking Kittens" is the work of Joel Veitch, whose site features a number of clever animations -- our favorite's the one in which kittens sub for the White Stripes. (In response to an e-mail, Mr. Veitch noted that "after a couple of years of analyzing the mechanics of virality on the Web I can confidently assert that the Internet loves kittens.")

But what struck us was that even as "Viking Kittens" plays merrily along, one can buy mugs and T-shirts emblazoned with their image by clicking right below the animation. That did seem a little different, meme-wise, from the days of Mahirmania. (Remember Mahir Cagri, the "I kiss you!" guy? Back in 1999 we called him the first case of Web nostalgia, and three years down the road we think that was right.)

"Viking Kittens" has only been around for a couple of weeks, meaning it's one Web fad that's probably still on the upswing. Yet it already has its own merchandising -- Mr. Veitch sells mugs and T-shirts for "Viking Kittens" via cafepress.com, an oft-used outlet for Webloggers and others with a Web hit on their hands. Mr. Veitch says he started offering "Viking Kittens" merchandise about a week after the kitties went live, after getting a lot of e-mail asking him to do so.

Does being able to immediately buy a "Viking Kittens" mug ruin the fun of having discovered another Web oddity? Back in the age of "Cool Site of the Day" and "Justin's Notes From the Underground," we imagine lots of folks would have said that yes, it did. But now? If you say it does, we can't imagine you're very happy with 2002's Web.

Also, keep in mind that lots of folks whose odd projects prove popular online get socked with big Web-hosting bills, as this Metafilter discussion points out. Mr. Veitch knows this all too well: He says the White Stripes kitties got him booted off his Internet-service provider for "abuse" -- namely, too much traffic. He says he managed to get his service back "after an extended period of groveling" and now keeps from being done in by his own success by spreading the traffic around between four personal accounts, the free space that came with his ADSL connection, and extra capacity donated by friends and fans.

Mr. Veitch says he isn't exactly getting rich, estimating that sells about 15 to 20 items a day connected to his various projects. He says "Viking Kittens" merchandise is a hit, but that's speaking rather relatively -- he estimates he makes one "Viking Kittens" sale for each 3,500 page views. His verdict? "It's unlikely to become a living wage, but it's a nice source of beer money."

As for us, we don't mind at all that Mr. Veitch is canny enough to move fast with a tie-in -- particularly given the mayfly life of most Web fads. We love the giant corporate Web that lets us shop for books in the middle of the night, listen to baseball games across the country and read dozens of newspapers a day. We also love the older, look-what-I-stumbled-across Web, which lives on thanks to all the Webloggers and e-mailers spreading the word about strange, beautiful and funny sites. And it bothers us not one whit to find these two Webs side by side, or even intertwined.

Not George Lucas said:

Wow. I'm dumbfounded. Seriously. Just... Wow.

It was just the online wall street journal. not the serious real wall street journal. we're nothing special.

that's what you get for posting a link like that.

Back
Top Bottom