Videos That Moved You

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
I was rereading the Johnny Cash "Hurt" thread and I got to thinking: what are some other music videos that have really gotten to you? I think at one point they really were a whole separate art form and not just eye candy/commercials (and in rare cases, still are today--"Hurt" is a great example).

Here are a few that really made me take notice:

"Everybody Hurts" R.E.M.--I usually cry when I see this video. It's very simple but very deep. It illustrates the song SO perfectly.

"Hey Jupiter" Tori Amos--the bizarre balance between delicacy and destruction, with the fire and the running and the little girl...again, whoa.

"Tonight Tonight" Smashing Pumpkins--the Pumpkins always made cool videos, but this one was just so over-the-top cool and optimistic and eye-catching, just like the song.

"Scar Tissue" Red Hot Chili Peppers--weird and depressing and dirty. Very cool, and another great representation of the song itself.

There are tons more--what do y'all think?

everyone will laugh at me. i'll come back when i think of something less pathetic

I agree with you about the Hey Jupiter video - very powerful. Not to be trite, but U2's "One" video w/ Bono in a bar really moves me. :)

All of the above...

and when I was younger, Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time. heh.

At this particular moment in time... Robbie Williams "Feel" :silent: :reject:

:laugh: I feel it baby.

WOWY
One-Bar and even more now the Bob Hewson version:sad:
Johnny Cash- Hurt
Losing my Religion- REM
Born in the USA - Bruce(first song I ever sang :lol: )
Secret Garden- Bruce

Feel is good...but the new one :no:

Back on topic,

Save A Prayer by Duran Duran. Laugh at me all you want, but when the five of them turn and face the sun or something at the temple I feel so moved.

I haven't heard/seen Johnny Cash's "Hurt" yet. Something else to look forward to.:)

I will have to recall videos from the past, but just recently Pink's song/film clip "Family" made me cry.
I seem to recall a scene in the film clip of The Pretenders 'I'll Stand By You" Chrissey is bathing the ailing man. It's very tender.

RAdiohead'a "pyramid Song". Ugh..so damn beautiful for a computer generated piece of work. :sad:

U2 - The Ground Beneath Her Feet
U2 - Please
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Dirty Vegas - Days Go By

there's a lot of videos that i thought were moving, but none of them even scratch the surface of the emotion in Hurt...
still_hurt.jpg

if you haven't seen it yet... here's a link
http://www.johnnycashmusic.com/music.html

Lens Recap: The Story Behind Johnny Cash's 'Hurt'

Despite clip's dark imagery, director Mark Romanek views it as celebration of life.

by Gil Kaufman for mtv.com

Many music videos tend to be about escape and illusion ? the illusion of fame, wealth, sex, glamour and fantasy. The video for Johnny Cash's "Hurt" isn't about any of those things. It deals with a theme not so common in music videos: reality.

In the short history of music videos, few have had the emotional heft and visual impact of the clip shot by director Mark Romanek in the Tennessee home of the ailing country legend.

"This [concept] is completely and utterly alien to what videos are supposed to be," Romanek said. "Videos are supposed to be eye candy ? hip and cool and all about youth and energy. This one is about someone [moving] toward the twilight of his career, this powerful, legendary figure who is dealing with issues and emotions you're not used to encountering in videos."

The video for the cover of the Nine Inch Nails ballad from last year's American Recordings IV: The Man Comes Around features a morose-looking Cash singing the lines "What have I become, my sweetest friend?/ Everyone I know goes away in the end," before fatalistically promising to leave behind his "empire of dirt."

A montage of moving, dimly lit images of a weathered Cash playing piano and guitar in his memorabilia-stuffed home is mixed with glimpses of the flood-damaged House of Cash museum and archival footage of the country legend as a young man. Romanek, who has directed videos for Madonna, Beck and Audioslave, as well as last year's film "One Hour Photo," said he made the clip with no commercial expectations or calculations, fully expecting that it would not be shown on major video outlets.

"I begged [the album's producer] Rick Rubin to let me shoot something to that track," said Romanek, who heard the song several months before the album was released and fell in love with its stark sound.

After several attempts to convince his friend Rubin to let him shoot the clip, even offering to do it for free, longtime Cash fan Romanek finally succeeded in scoring the gig. But after plans to film it in Los Angeles fell apart due to Cash's health, Romanek had only a few days to conceive and shoot the video before Cash left for his annual health sabbatical in Jamaica.

"I wanted to do two things," he said. "I wanted to celebrate this legend and his achievements but also be very candid about what Johnny's life is like right now." Cash suffers from a nervous-system disease, autonomic neuropathy, which renders him susceptible to pulmonary disorders.

Romanek hopped a red-eye to Nashville on a Wednesday night and spent the next day scouting locations in Cash's house and at the museum, quickly putting the concept together in his head. Though he's known for such elaborate videos as Michael and Janet Jackson's "Scream," Romanek thought the "Hurt" video should be firmly focused on the 70-year-old man in black, with no gimmicks and no trick shots.

"His music has always been extremely candid," Romanek said. "That's what I wanted to draw from. I didn't want to make a phony video. I wanted to tell the truth but not be insensitive, because Johnny is not in the peak of health right now."

The one consolation to the warts-and-all approach was the metaphorically arresting footage of the House of Cash museum, which appears to have fallen into decrepitude. Though the imagery makes for high drama when run alongside snapshots of Cash, Romanek admitted that the museum was more a victim of a flood rather than neglect.

The rest of the video is a haunting portrait of a clearly fragile Cash juxtaposed with archival glimpses of a hale and hearty hell-raiser hopping trains, visiting his abandoned childhood home and taking walks with his family. The intercut footage came from several boxes pulled from Cash's private collection and lent to Romanek, who spent weeks combing through hundreds of hours of tape. "I've gotten letter after letter from people saying that the video made them weep and they can't stop watching it," Romanek said. As further proof of its success, the perennially cool but commercially hard-to-pigeonhole Cash is suddenly in rotation on MTV2 and VH1 and the song has crept onto the playlist of Los Angeles alternative rock tastemaker station KROQ-FM.

"I'm most proud of the fact that it's causing this visceral, emotional reaction," Romanek said. "That's the whole reason to make any sort of film. You don't often have the opportunity to do that with a music video because that's not usually what you're being asked to accomplish."

thanks for backin me up! that video don't get nearly enuff luvin

Yeah, the video for "Hurt" is very interesting...I like it.

And yes, the song "Everybody Hurts" doesn't make me cry, but the video sure does. Every time I see it, it never fails to move me to tears.

The video for Kelly Rowland's "Stole" moves me, too...the whole concept against the song's words...just...:(.

Christina Aguillera's "Beautiful" video has the same kind of effect as the "Stole" video...I don't actually cry, but I do kinda get a lump in my throat-I guess it's just because of all this crap that happens to the people in Christina's video and the fact that they still will rise above it...I dunno...it kinda relates to some of the crap I dealt with in my old town from other kids...it's helpful to me, personally. :shrug:.

Those are some I can think of at this moment.

Angela

paxetaurora said:
"Heart-Shaped Box" by Nirvana...that one is really weird but if you can get past the surrealism, it really bleeds.

Yep.

Same thing kind of with Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" video.

That video may be one of THE most twisted videos I've ever seen in my life.

But when you think about the concept of the video...it's kinda creepy and sad.

And yes, I agree with the mention of Metallica's "One" video. Seeing that guy alone at the end, just saying "S.O.S. Help me."...*shudders* Chilling.

The version of U2's "One" that moves me the most is the drag one-there's one part in there where there's this whole thing with shadows on a wall...and I don't know what it is about those shadows...but it made me feel sad for some reason.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom