Victoria Beckham: Coming to America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
seems like only Anna Nicole's and Ozzy's drunken stupors are able to get the require ratings

:down: attention span of the public

Victoria Beckham show ripped, barely watchedStory Highlights
"Victoria Beckham: Coming to America" finishes third in time slot

Show about David Beckham's Spice Girl wife ripped by critics

Posh Spice says she's "just a normal girl from London"
Next Article in Entertainment »

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Victoria Beckham's bid to woo Americans has backfired with damning reviews of a reality TV show that she hoped would overturn her image here as a sour-faced diva.

Viewing figures show Victoria Beckham's TV show came in third Monday night.

The New York Post called Monday night's show "an orgy of self-indulgence" and described Beckham as "vapid and condescending."

Beckham, 33, wife of British soccer legend David Beckham, arrived in Los Angeles last week in a media blitz promoting the couple as style icons and mega-celebrities both on and off the soccer field.

David Beckham has signed a $250 million contract over five years with the Los Angeles Galaxy soccer team.

Victoria Beckham, Posh in the 1990s British girl band The Spice Girls, had hoped Monday's prime-time reality special "Victoria Beckham: Coming to America" would showcase her humor and personality to a nation which has heard much but knows little of her outside pictures.

"I think people will really get to see what I'm really like. I'm just a normal girl from London. People can have preconceptions because of the photographs they see of me and the stories they read," she told reporters last week.

Don't Miss
Fans, media crush welcome Beckhams to America
Alessandra Stanley in The New York Times said that such reality shows "rely on a fish-out-of-water conceit but in Beverly Hills she is a fish-in-Evian, one rich, blonde, spray tanned wife-of among many."

Viewing figures released Tuesday showed that the NBC program documenting Beckham's house-hunting, attempts to get a U.S. driving license and lessons on surviving an earthquake was the third-most watched show in its time slot Monday.

Some 4.9 million people tuned in, but more watched repeats of ABC's "Wife Swap" and two CBS sitcoms.

"Beckham, who is bizarrely constantly posing even in her own home, offers insights about how major a certain purse is or how her new phone has changed her life," Linda Stasi wrote in The New York Post.

Gail Pennington of the St Louis Post-Dispatch wrote: "To the Brits, they are Posh and Becks. To most Americans they're -- who?"

Beckham, who plans to push her jeans, sunglasses and perfume lines in the United States, said last week she hoped Americans would appreciate her dry, British sense of humor.

"If people like it, that's great. If they don't, I'm not losing any sleep over it," she said of the TV special. E-mail to a friend

Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be publishe

Maybe I should've watched it. Everyone I've spoken to here talked about how awful it was and how much more they hate her now. :huh:

meegannie said:
Maybe I should've watched it. Everyone I've spoken to here talked about how awful it was and how much more they hate her now. :huh:

It is going to be rebroadcast here tonight on both NBC and Bravo channels

check your local listings
if anyone wants to watch

I watched most of it on YouTube today. I thought it was pretty obvious that the show was meant to be funny, not a serious documentary, yet nearly every review of it I've read and every single person here I've heard talking about it has completely missed the fact that she was taking the piss out of herself. :huh:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/tv/2007/07/victoria_beckham_coming_to_ame.html

"
Victoria Beckham: Coming to America was utter crap

The programme and its subject - the Beckhams' relocation to the US - were boring, mendacious and requiring the invention of a new vocabulary to describe its unreserved vapidity."

mandy1973 said:

And, seriously, how HOT did David look in that photo shoot at the start?
omgblinky3sm.gif

I am SO buying that copy of W when it comes out. :drool: Xs 1000

Ahhh, man I missed it :( I would have liked to have seen it. I tried to watch it at nbc.com but I received the message that I was unable to view from my location. (GWN)

Oh well.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked that people are actually interested in her. Back home she is seen as an excessive spending, thick Essex bird that was in the right place at the right time that has minimal talent.

As a UK columnist put it -

"The programme and its subject were utter, utter crap - boring, mendacious and requiring the invention of a new vocabulary to describe its unreserved vapidity. For the next documentary, the crew should just film themselves kicking an empty tin can down the street for 60 minutes. I assure you it will be indistinguishable from an hour spent filming the human non-event that is Victoria Beckham.

Back
Top Bottom