Verve-Rolling Stones suit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomtom

Acrobat
What part of Bittersweet Symphony is supposedly a copy of a Stones song? I think the Stones song is "The Last Time" but having heard the latter song many many times I cant tell any similarity at all, never mind blatant sampling. Do you think the Stones were justified in suing the Verve over it?

what the verve sampled was not the actual original stones recording, it was a reversed loop sample of a version of the song that was recorded for an album called The Rolling Stones Songbook.

so basically, they sampled a symphonic remake of the song.

but if you are going to steal from the rolling stones, you should be smart enough to know you will be paying for it eventually.

I love the stones, but they were assholes for doing that to the verve, a very good band.....urban hymns is a classic album

U2One said:
I love the stones, but they were assholes for doing that to the verve, a very good band.....urban hymns is a classic album

I don't think the Rolling Stones had that much to do with it. I believe that part of their back catalogue (the Sixties stuff) is owned by Allen Klein and he sued The Verve.

And:
Originally posted by
bono_man2002

Excuse me for having no real clue on this subject...but....Its taken them this long to decide that the songs sound simalar?

No, this was already decided in court in 1998 or so.

The Verve were a very good band. Very talented. Wish they could've held it together. :(

BrownEyedBoy said:
I thought this wasn`t fair for "The Verve". They totally got robbed on this. :barf:
Music is still a business. People generally don't enjoy having their material used and not being compensated for it. 'For art's sake' my ass. :madwife:

Canadiens1160 said:
Music is still a business. People generally don't enjoy having their material used and not being compensated for it. 'For art's sake' my ass. :madwife:

Exactly. If I were a recording artist and someone took something I had written, reversed it and shoved it through some sampler without seeking the proper permission, I'd sue too.

GibsonGirl said:
Exactly. If I were a recording artist and someone took something I had written, reversed it and shoved it through some sampler without seeking the proper permission, I'd sue too.

But would you sue for 100% of the royalties?

GibsonGirl said:

If they would´ve had an orchestra perform the riff all over again and not say a word about how it was "sampled" the Stones would have NEVER found out.

Back
Top Bottom