Verve fans- Download this!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i wasn't expecting this.

full band version, and yet it's completely different...it's a rock song now.

it's pretty cool.

Wow... I do really like this. The arrangement is so great...

The vocals occasionally sound like Kelly Jones from the Stereophonics, though, but I think the raspiness also adds something to the delivery.

:up:

:lmao: @ Brau

Okay, how's this:

I LOVE YOU, Mr.BRAU because this seriously rocks!! THANK YOU!!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

:hyper:

http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=130824
X-clusive: Richard Ashcroft “My New Record’s Sh*t Hot”

Richard Ashcroft has been speaking exclusively to Xfm Online about his “raw” comeback record and 2006 headline shows, saying it’s his “duty to write tunes”.

Returning in the coming months with the first material since 2002’s ‘Human Conditions’, Richard Ashcroft gave Xfm an insight into the currently-untitled record’s sound.

“It’s sounding shit hot,” the former Verve frontman explained. “I’m pleased with it. It’s got a good mix to it: there’s some good raw rock ‘n’ roll on it, some moments of beauty and lushness, but there’re some tracks that are pretty raw, pretty heavy.

“And I think, lyrically, for me it’s hitting the spot,” he continued. “There’s a lot of different topics and things I’m going into, and for a time I was thinking about that very English way of writing tunes back from ’65 and ’66. The Stones, The Beatles, [all the songs] have a bit of Dylan twisted-ness in the sound, but they retain an Englishness to them.”

“That’s what I wanna be, a great English songwriter. I don’t want to be anything else, I realise that now. That’s my job, that’s my duty, to write tunes, not to f**k around.”

Ashscroft also revealed that while his past two solo albums have been highly produced, lavish affairs, the new as-yet-untitled record (while keeping some of the epic scale) will be a lot more rough sounding.

"There's still moments of beauty and lushness in there," he continued, "But there's definitely some tracks there are pretty raw, pretty heavy yeah."

And with the album set to hit stores in the coming months, naturally there’re already plans afoot for the man to return with some special headline live shows.

“I’ll be headlining my own shows in January, but keep your eyes out for some very small low-key stuff and working up for a big gig in Wigan, or somewhere in that region, in the summer.”

This version is AMAZING :drool:

Thanks Brau. Your personalities and my personalities totally have to hang out sometime :love:

Anyone mind reposting?

I've only heard "Urban hymms" but consider "The drugs don't work" one of my favourite songs of the 90s.

I think I might use Ashcrofts new album as a way of getting into them more. I really like his description of what it's gonna be like.

The Pitchfork review of the album is like they went through my music collection and insulted every band in it individually.

Last edited:
i bought urban hymns about a month ago and can't stop listening to it. solid album from start to finish. i definitely want to by "Northern Soul" but still want to hear opinions from people here who've listened to it.

The Verve have definitely grown on me in the past month or so, and, because of this, I've been a bit sour on Mick Jagger & the Rolling Stones....

typhoon said:
The Pitchfork review of the album is like they went through my music collection and insulted every band in it individually.

I am so bothered by this "review" I would love to see what this guys current playlist is. Richard Ashcroft is great. I have been a fan since early verve days. I was so excited to hear Keys To The World. The title track is amazing, and has such a great groove to it. I guess you can tell how lame Marc Hogan of Pictchfork is when the only thing in his silly little brain comes up with is a comparison to C+C music factory!!! Are you kidding me!!! Ever hear of Peter Gabriel?? No definitley could never be along that kind of vibe, simply go to your early 90's dance pop cd collection that most likely gets you going every morning. I think so many of these "reviewers" are so jaded. They just are sad because they never made it into the business furthur than an online blog of sorts. Sorry to go off on a rant. I just really love Richard and wish that he had something more going in the states so I could see him solo, and not have to pay over $100 to see him open for Coldplay this spring.

U2One said:
i definitely want to by "Northern Soul" but still want to hear opinions from people here who've listened to it.

Northern Soul is the best Verve record.

It blends the sonics of "A Storm In Heaven", with the songwriting that was to come on "Urban Hymns."

The first song will blow you away. Play it LOUD.

MrBrau1 said:

Northern Soul is the best Verve record.

It blends the sonics of "A Storm In Heaven", with the songwriting that was to come on "Urban Hymns."

The first song will blow you away. Play it LOUD.

You couldn't be more right. I only just got the album and I'm absolutely hooked, especially to the opener.

Anybody else have the new solo record? That Pitchfork review just about made me cry. I'd like some more opinions.

Can someone repost the link to the song? The D/L is not avaible anymore. Thanks! Appreciate it!

Love the Verve, Urban Hymns is a desert island record for me and Northern Soul isn't far behind.

Axver said:

You couldn't be more right. I only just got the album and I'm absolutely hooked, especially to the opener.

roll on with that!
'a new decade' is one of my favorite songs ever. nick mccabe's guitars growling all over the place. it levels mountains...:drool:

You don't happen to have any other tracks from this session? Quality is amazing. Richard sounds great.

Thank a million...

Back
Top Bottom