Verve- 11/6/07 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishteen

I have to see them live
Me, too. HAVE TO!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #17
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:17 AM
Somebody force them onto a plane and make them play a concert in Melbourne.

Do it now.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

For someone who has seemingly jumped on the anti-Oasis bandwagon, you sure seem to have studied the liner notes of Oasis albums quite thoroughly. Closet fan perhaps?
I own Definitely Maybe & What's the Story and a couple old singles, and have a copy of the surprisingly good Noel-only MTV Unplugged somewhere on VHS. I've also worked with people in the past who were superfans and I've been subjected to much of the later material, especially All Around the World (a.k.a. Let's Pretend We're The Beatles Pt. 14) since it was sold for use by a telephone company.

I never said they were a bad or untalented group. I just don't think they're very original, they have snotty, shitbag attitudes, and just aren't worthy of all the massive adulation. I think the other big Brit Pop bands of the time (Blur, Supergrass, Pulp, The Verve, etc) have evolved by a greater measure and have more impressive discographies overall .
Old 11-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

I own Definitely Maybe & What's the Story and a couple old singles, and have a copy of the surprisingly good Noel-only MTV Unplugged somewhere on VHS. I've also worked with people in the past who were superfans and I've been subjected to much of the later material, especially All Around the World (a.k.a. Let's Pretend We're The Beatles Pt. 14) since it was sold for use by a telephone company.

I never said they were a bad or untalented group. I just don't think they're very original, they have snotty, shitbag attitudes, and just aren't worthy of all the massive adulation. I think the other big Brit Pop bands of the time (Blur, Supergrass, Pulp, The Verve, etc) have evolved by a greater measure and have more impressive discographies overall .
Fair enough, but surely the adulation they recieve is balanced by the sheer hate and prejudice they too often recieve. People ripped into SOTSOG without listening to the bloody thing.

And if you're gonna borrow from your idols, at least do it well, and they do......they are updating the past, and enchanting millions at the same time....
Old 11-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

I just don't think they're very original, they have snotty, shitbag attitudes, and just aren't worthy of all the massive adulation. I think the other big Brit Pop bands of the time (Blur, Supergrass, Pulp, The Verve, etc) have evolved by a greater measure and have more impressive discographies overall .

I'd love to hear an Oasis fan try and mount an Oasis v Blur argument now. They just haven't even been comparable for so long.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:52 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

The funny thing is that I just rediscovered The Great Escape, which was seen as a bit of a letdown after Parklife, and it's such a great album. While Morning Glory went on to be the big smash hit, Blur's effort has just as good songwriting and instead of trying to ape the sound of The Beatles, follows their sense of adventure and ability to try any type of music instead.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:35 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Somebody force them onto a plane and make them play a concert in Melbourne.

Do it now.
I know how you feel. I've listened to that show like 3 times. I can't get enough of those songs sometimes.

Brau, I forgive you for being grumpy about Radiohead.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:28 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I'd try an Oasis v Blur argument, but I'm still et to hear all of Blur's material, whcile I think I've heard pretty much all that Oasis has commercially released.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:26 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Careful, you'll switch allegiance.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:00 PM   #25
The Fly

Local Time: 05:17 PM
The Verve!! What an amazing group. Towards the end of the nineties id say they were probably one of , if not the biggest and definitley best band in the world. Urban Hymns sold millions worldwide and they played some legendary landmark gigs.
Hopefully they're gonna pick up where they left off. All three of their albums are classics and are well worth checking out.

As for Oasis they were huge in the nineties, sold millions of records worldwide and played some of the biggest live concerts that have ever happened anywhere, They were also the biggest band in the world for a good few years, and even still today they have a huge following worldwide and still play big gigs and still sell millions of records.

Blur although they were popular for a few years, and have made some good albums, they have never really had success on the same scale as The Verve and not even come close to Oasis.

Remember Oasis played to 250,000 at Knebworth, Morning Glory sold 18 million worldwide, even U2 would be proud of that. Blur don't even come close.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:17 AM
bloody shame i can't get ever download this file. "free service is at full capacity".
Old 11-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by StoneRoses
The Verve!! What an amazing group. Towards the end of the nineties id say they were probably one of , if not the biggest and definitley best band in the world. Urban Hymns sold millions worldwide and they played some legendary landmark gigs.
Hopefully they're gonna pick up where they left off. All three of their albums are classics and are well worth checking out.

As for Oasis they were huge in the nineties, sold millions of records worldwide and played some of the biggest live concerts that have ever happened anywhere, They were also the biggest band in the world for a good few years, and even still today they have a huge following worldwide and still play big gigs and still sell millions of records.

Blur although they were popular for a few years, and have made some good albums, they have never really had success on the same scale as The Verve and not even come close to Oasis.

Remember Oasis played to 250,000 at Knebworth, Morning Glory sold 18 million worldwide, even U2 would be proud of that. Blur don't even come close.

I don't think anyone was talking about sales figures or popularity here. We all know how big Oasis WAS.

But Blur certainly deserves more credit for expanding their sound with every subsequent release, and challenging themselves to try new things instead of rehashing what has already been done better by their idols. They also haven't had a severe drop-off in quality over the years. Think Tank, minus their lead guitarist, was still as brilliant as anything else they'd put out to date.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
bloody shame i can't get ever download this file. "free service is at full capacity".
go here:

http://ocstwosway.blogspot.com/
Old 11-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by StoneRoses
Blur were never as huge as Oasis at their peak, but they most certainly were a lot bigger than the Verve.

But yes, as lazarus said, Blur don't come close to matching Oasis in sales or scale at their peak. They were for a couple of years there easily the biggest band in the world. Musically though there is a variety to the catalogue and maturity in the evolving sound of Blur that just does not exist with Oasis, who are over and over again just recording a mix of good Oasis sounding Oasis songs, average sounding Oasis songs and bad sounding Oasis songs.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:57 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Standing On The Shoulders of Giants and Heathen Chemistry featured Oasis exploring ground they had not yet covered, with many of the tunes having a psychadelic and country tweak to them.