Vegetarians - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #76
Refugee

Local Time: 07:22 PM
No, there is no way to be completely free from animal products in our society. I drive, for instance. And, cars actually use chemicals and parts that are full of animal products. It stinks.
Honey is also a huge issue for some vegans. Any comments on that from anyone here who is a vegan?
While I hate the torture of animals, I perhaps damage my karma in that I kill ants whenever they come into my apartment - damn living on an ant hill.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #77
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
No, there is no way to be completely free from animal products in our society. I drive, for instance. And, cars actually use chemicals and parts that are full of animal products. It stinks.
Honey is also a huge issue for some vegans. Any comments on that from anyone here who is a vegan?
While I hate the torture of animals, I perhaps damage my karma in that I kill ants whenever they come into my apartment - damn living on an ant hill.

I don't eat honey.

Gelatin is the worst Did you know it's used in movie/photo film?

Old 07-06-2007, 04:27 AM   #78
Refugee

No, I did not know that. How ridiculous. It's in the most insane products - products that do not appear like they possibly need a gel-like substance.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:24 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:22 PM
I've been a vegetarian for over six years now, and I love it. It was a perfect storm of reasons that got me into it:

--was very ill from stress in grad school, lost a bunch of weight, couldn't handle eating much at all, and was willing to try anything. My doctor said to go for it.

--significant other got violently ill from some corned beef that we both ate

--started practicing yoga, which advocates a nonviolent, veggie diet

--had a friend who was vegetarian, and she mentored me and helped me learn about the lifestyle

--have watched my hometown area be destroyed environmentally by corporate pig and cattle farms

--it was Lent, and I needed something to 'give up'

So...all that came together and I decided to try it. I haven't looked back at all. I don't have cravings for meat at all, though I remember that some of it tastes good (chicken fingers especially). I ate fish off and on for maybe the first year so I would have one extra option, but once I figured out I had plenty to eat without fish, I stopped eating that too. I've had my doctor check my blood work for deficiencies, and so far so good.

I find that being a vegetarian, my diet is far more interesting than it used to be. Lots of Indian, Korean, Thai, and Japanese foods that I never would have tried otherwise, and I love them all. I know people always say "I'll miss meat too much," but the friends I've had who tried being veggie found that that wasn't the case at all.

I strongly recommend giving it a try for anyone who's curious. You might be surprised at how fun and easy it is.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:26 PM   #80
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:22 PM
HG!
Old 07-07-2007, 12:14 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:22 PM
Zoots!

Old 07-07-2007, 04:13 AM   #82
Refugee

thai mock duck with stir fry is a real treat....oh, thai tea....with coconut milk
Old 07-08-2007, 01:54 AM   #83
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan

I don't know about the rest of you but when I look at a chicken or a cow, my first thought is not "I can't wait to eat that."
mine is

my best friend is a vegetarian... I try not to give him a hard time about it I'm fine with vegetarians/vegans as long as they don't try to make me feel guilty for eating meat or try to convert me or anything

if they do

they will just get this

Old 07-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #84
Refugee

I'm not a vegetarian but I'd like to be. I simply can't cope with it... I don't eat cow though... Because I'm with cows almost every week and I grew to like them a lot. So I eat pig, chiken and fish. I like vegetarian food, but I couldn't live only with that...

And I love milk!

About animals suffering to die, that's not completely true. They usually don't feel pain, the thing is, they can predict death when they feel the feromones the moment they arrive to the place whe're they'll be killed. They feel a lot of fear, that's true, and maybe it's even worse than physical pain...
But to me the most horrible thing is the conditions they live when they're gaining weight... Especially pigs. Many many people have no idea...
Old 07-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #85
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono

I'm fine with vegetarians/vegans as long as they don't try to make me feel guilty for eating meat or try to convert me or anything

Has anyone really done that to you? That's such a misconception I have found over the years. I've met a lot of people that find out I don't eat meat that will say "I hope you aren't going to start in with your vegetarian speech with me...." If someone wants to eat meat.....great! As long as they don't try to put it on my plate or anything like that, then it doesn't bother me at all. I have never once tried to get anyone to become a vegetarian nor I have ever told them eating meat is wrong. But I have had a lot of interesting food conversations over the last 19 years that I never expected to have. Most people just want to know why I became a vegetarian. Others apologize for eating meat in front of me. I don't apologize for eating vegetables in front of them! I don't care what other people eat but what I eat always seems to be the topic of conversation. I don't agree with others trying to make someone feel guilty for eating meat. It's a personal choice what you want to eat.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #86
arw
Blue Crack Addict

I just took a nutrition class. I learned a lot that I didn't know about people that don't eat meat.

Here's the categories:

Lacto-Ovo: will consume dairy and egg products but other animal products. That's me.

Lacto-Ovo-pollo: will consume dairy, eggs and poultry but no other animal products.

Prego or pescatarian: will consume fish and fish products but no other animal products.

Vegan: no animal products at all.

Fruititarian: will consume raw seeds and fruits only.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #87
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by arw9797

Lacto-Ovo-pollo: will consume dairy, eggs and poultry but no other animal products.

I could do that one
Old 07-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #88
New Yorker

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. And on the topic of making people feel guilty, I have never said anything to my friends when we go out and eat and they order huge amounts of meat. It does not bother me, unless they would try to make me eat it, or if they start on how being a vegetarian is pointless, dumb or anything (which none of my friends would do).

I hate when people begin to criticize my choice of being a vegetarian when I could just as easily criticize them but I wouldn't, because it's a personal choice and I am all for personal choice.

I was eating in a seafood restaurant with my friends at the beach and I told them I wasn't going to eat seafood at this point in my life because I still have weird feelings about it, and some of them understood and some were like "Oh come on! Do it," which kind of made me mad because it is my choice not to and I hate to be pressured into something I don't want to do.

Then one of my friends surprised me and said "Well they are going to kill the animal anyway, so why not eat it?" and I really got offended because it's like saying "Why protest the war with signs in your front yard if you know it's going to happen anyway?" It's small things people do to protest in their own personal ways...and every little bit counts. It doesn't matter if only a small percentage of people do it...it just may be our own personal committment to what we feel is right.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

I agree, I have had some really interesting encounters with people who eat meat that get all defensive about it just when I mention that I don't eat meat. And then when they ask me why I don't, and I tell them, all of a sudden I'm being preachy. Yet they are totally fine with making fun of vegetarians. I'm secure in my decision. I can't help it if these oafs aren't. And I'm not calling them oafs for their food choice, I'm calling them oafs for how they treat vegetarians.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't like touching raw meat so I end up eating mostly non-meat items. I've also been working on making my diet more healthy and there's a lot of saturated fat in beef, so when I do eat meat, I find myself having turkey or shrimp. My bf is Muslim, so obviously we don't cook pork. Honestly, I've started to become addicted to a juicy portobello grilled to perfection and served up with lettuce, tomato and BBQ sauce.