Vaughn/Aniston In The Break Up-Bomb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
This review says it is, I love Vince Vaughn and Jennifer seems better suited to comedy. Sounds from this review like the script is the problem. Jennifer's movies all seem to bomb, will she ever have a successful movie career?

Aniston, Vaughn bomb in "The Break-Up"

By Michael Rechtshaffen Hollywood Reporter

Given Vince Vaughn's recent success with landing punch lines, there was considerable hope that if anybody could inject a little zip into the stagnating romcom, he'd be the guy to pull it off.

And he still might -- one of these days.

In the meantime, there's "The Break-Up," a major disappointment of an anti-romantic comedy for which Vaughn shares producer and story credits in addition to sharing the screen with real-life squeeze Jennifer Aniston.

After a promisingly quirky start, "Break-Up" suffers a major breakdown from which it never recovers.

Audiences expecting a good time will instead be rewarded with wildly unsympathetic lead characters and uncomfortably long stretches without a laugh in sight. While they might initially be drawn in by the marketing department's promise of something a lot more entertaining, the end box office result will likely be less than amicable.

Initially meeting at a baseball game, Chicago tour guide Gary Grobowski (Vaughn) manages to persuade art gallery employee Brooke Meyers (Aniston) to dump her male friend and go out with him basically by buying her a hot dog.

Flash forward to the couple living in what isn't exactly domestic bliss, with Brooke running around getting ready to host a dinner party for their families while Gary contentedly parks himself in front of the television.

With the cracks in their relationship finally reaching the breaking point, Brooke finally calls Gary for the jerk he is, but in her little schemes to make him realize the errors of his ways, Brooke only ends up matching him in the bad behavior department.

But what could have at best played out like a wilted "War of the Roses" ends up looking a lot more like Rob Reiner's misbegotten "The Story of Us."

It would have helped if director Peyton Reed ("Bring It On," "Down With Love") had been as concerned with giving his audience characters worth investing in as he was with all those stylish visual compositions, but the script, by first-time feature writers Jeremy Garelick and Jay Lavender, constantly leaves its actors in the lurch.

While Vaughn and Aniston do some solid emoting, the comedic element, such as it is, never feels organic to the rest of the film. Hints of what might have been can be found in colorful supporting turns from Vaughn's old "Swingers" pal Jon Favreau as his bartender buddy Johnny O; Judy Davis as Aniston's hysterically harsh gallery boss, Marilyn Dean; and especially Christopher Guest regular John Michael Higgins as Aniston's brother, Richard, who is obsessed with singing in his all-male a cappella group, the Tone Rangers.

But by the time the tacked-on ending to end all tacked-on endings arrives -- in which Vaughn's considerable, continuity-throwing weight loss is dealt with by Aniston noting, "You've lost weight" -- "The Break-Up" and its audience have long ago parted ways.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Jennifer's movies all seem to bomb, will she ever have a successful movie career?

it might have something to do with her inability to act.

They were talking on the radio last night how all the reveiws for this movie are horrible. Too bad. Jennifer A cannot carry a movie. The worst thing they said about this is it is suppose to come out (and bomb) next weekend in the states and that is probably going to be around the time that Brangelina will have thier baby. Yikes.

Most of the reviews have been horrible, People Magazine gave it 3 stars but then again that's People.

It wasn't as bad as I expected, Vince Vaughn is quite charming and funny as usual. Not enough scenes between them but he and Jon Favreau are so funny together. Jennifer looked great, didn't especially want to see her bum/back of her nude but it looked amazing :wink:. I think she holds back too much on screen and is too careful all the time and it really shows. The scenes between them involve so much arguing, but the scenes at the end are actually fairly touching and resonate truthfully.

The scenery from Chicago is nice but it's mostly the same old skyline shots.

Much of the movie falls flat but there are some laughs and charming moments. Best saved for a rental if you're interested in it. For me it was better than say Failure To Launch, maybe because I'm not a big fan of Matthew and he and SJP had no chemistry.

Ann Margret has a very small part as Jen's Mom, wow she looks fantastic. Must be some work there, but it looks good and not Joan Riversish.

Last edited:
It wasn't that bad, honestly. Granted, it is an anti-romantic comedy. At least the first half. Then like real, for real ended relationships, it turns bitter and sad.

I'm indifferent to it I guess. On the one hand I won't ever own it or plan out watching it ever again. But if it's on HBO one day, I'll probably sit down and watch. I wish there was a number for that. Maybe a 5?

BTW, The Good Girl was excellent. :up:

The only thing I ever liked Jennifer Aniston in was Office Space.

She's an A lister by virtue of her (former) marriage and that's it. She lacks the charisma and the acting to be a movie star and worse yet, she's not personally interesting.

I do think she did a fine job on TV, and if she were to return, they could probably write a decent show around her. But she seems hell bent on staying in movies, so yeah.

The Break Up looks terrible based on the promos alone.

anitram said:
The only thing I ever liked Jennifer Aniston in was Office Space.

She's an A lister by virtue of her (former) marriage and that's it. She lacks the charisma and the acting to be a movie star and worse yet, she's not personally interesting.

I do think she did a fine job on TV, and if she were to return, they could probably write a decent show around her. But she seems hell bent on staying in movies, so yeah.

The Break Up looks terrible based on the promos alone.

I agree.

By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie WriterSun Jun 4

Supported by real-life romantic splits and hookups, Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn's "The Break-Up" pulled an upset over the mutant world of the "X-Men."

"The Break-Up" debuted more strongly than expected with $38.1 million to take over as the No. 1 weekend movie from "X-Men: The Last Stand," which slipped to second place with $34.35 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "The Break-Up," $38.1 million.

2. "X-Men: The Last Stand," $34.35 million.

3. "Over the Hedge," $20.6 million.

4. "The Da Vinci Code," $19.3 million.

5. "Mission: Impossible III," $4.67 million.

6. "Poseidon," $3.4 million.

7. "RV," $3.3 million.

8. "See No Evil," $2 million.

9. "An Inconvenient Truth," $1.33 million.

10. "Just My Luck," $825,000.

Despite the reviews I still want to see "The Break-Up". Not a fan of Jennifer Aniston but she was good on "Friends".

Oh and I liked "Rumor Has It" actually got pretty good after the first half hour.

Back
Top Bottom