Vancouver 2010 - Oh Yeah! - ATTENTION:SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today has confirmed that Canada is one of the nations I NEED to visit before I die.

God, 45 minutes into this and nothing has actually happened yet. Why all the extra crap? I tuned in to watch the damned opening ceremonies! I'm tired of hearing about Lindsay Vonn.

NBC sucks.

bah, i just want to know who lights the cauldron, and i'm probably going to be on the wrong channel when it happens.

let's take forever to start.

it's not like they needed it to be dark, it's indoors ffs.

That route through Canada the torch took was really cool - I love that it went to the very tippy-top of the country. They said it was the northernmost permanently-inhabited town on the planet.

I was almost going to cheer for Canada, but now... :hmm:

I know there's always going to be some advantage for the home country's athletes, but you have to wonder about this after today's accidents (yeah, plural - there was another one earlier, but obviously that athlete didn't die).

Was there a sense that the practice runs had to be rushed? Would it have made a difference? A commenter earlier on the show said that the more experienced, top-ranked lugers fared better on the course, but jeez, what does that mean for the many others tha are going to have to tackle it?

Anyway. Hindsight and armchair-luging and all that. Hard not to speculate when a man dies participating in a sport.

I'll shut up now.

God, 45 minutes into this and nothing has actually happened yet. Why all the extra crap? I tuned in to watch the damned opening ceremonies! I'm tired of hearing about Lindsay Vonn.

NBC sucks.

I tuned in at 7:30PST, and haven't seen any opening ceremonies yet. I left the room for the last half hour. WTF? :scratch:

Make that one hour and counting, with no actual opening ceremonies. This is stupid.

No wonder this was scheduled from 7:30 til midnight.

there's something to be said for keeping the olympics a bit easier and making world championships harder, because the olympics by their nature attract competitors and nations that aren't as proficient and are more likely to end up injured and such.

i might be way off base here, but that's how i see it.

^I'm still amazed I haven't seen a ski jumper's death yet.
balls of steel to do that. the winter olympics scare the shit out of me. the only summer olympic event i'd be afraid of doing would be the marathon, but i wouldn't touch half of the winter events without being safely encapsulated in a bubble.

meanwhile this rendition of hallelujah is simply painful. i didn't think it was possible to make it torturously slow.

there's something to be said for keeping the olympics a bit easier and making world championships harder, because the olympics by their nature attract competitors and nations that aren't as proficient and are more likely to end up injured and such.

Maybe it would also prevent teeny tiny little jumping-beans (who don't do much but jump really well and look like cute little girls) like Tara Lipinski from showing up out of nowhere, giving one or two really good performances (and then pretty much retiring because they know it was a fluke), and stealing the gold from other skaters who've been working toward this for years, like Michelle Kwan.

... not that I'm still bitter about that or anything.

Maybe it would also prevent teeny tiny little jumping-beans (who don't do much but jump really well and look like cute little girls) like Tara Lipinski from showing up out of nowhere, giving one or two really good performances (and then pretty much retiring because they know it was a fluke), and stealing the gold from other skaters who've been working toward this for years, like Michelle Kwan.

... not that I'm still bitter about that or anything.

Oooh. Bitter, your table for 2 is ready. Michelle Kwan is awesome.

Should we even mention Oksana Baiul while we're at it?

Oooh. Bitter, you're table for 2 is ready. Michelle Kwan is awesome.

Should we even mention Oksana Baiul while we're at it?

I didn't have as big a problem with Oksana winning over Nancy Kerrigan, as I didn't like Nancy Kerrigan all that much. Although Oksana sure turned into a train wreck, that poor girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom