Vancouver 2010 - Oh Yeah! - ATTENTION:SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tragedy strikes already. :sad: A Georgian luger has died after a practice run this morning. I couldn't bring myself to watch the video of the crash, but it sounds horrific. There's been no official comment yet, but reliable news sources are saying he's died. So sad.

I just heard the confirmation that he died. How awful.

I was watching Modern Marvels "Winter Olympics Tech" last night, and they were saying how fast and dangerous the sledding track can be. One corner is known as 50/50 for the 50/50 chance that you'll crash there. I don't know if that's where the Georgian crashed but, ugh, I hope the course isn't SO dangerous.

The article I just read said he went out of control near the finish, and his sled went over the track wall and he hit an unpadded metal pole.

I feel so bad for that guy's family, and all the other athletes who have to compete after this. Hopefully the ceremony tonight isn't marred too much by this tragedy.

kramwest - I think the crash was near the finish line.

If the track is known for being that dangerous, why wouldn't those metal poles be covered? Common sense anyone?

They said on TSN that the track was designed to contain sleds and riders whenever they crashed, but it was just completely random that the guy hit the wall in just the wrong way and it happened to launch him. They said that despite all the crashes that happened during training this was the first time either a sled or rider has come close to actually leaving the track.

The opening ceremonies have started, fantastic that they decided to slaughter the national anthem. :huh: Just sing the damn thing the way it's written.

They showed it here on the news. :down: Disrespect to him and his family.

The Seattle Times (and also, as I heard, other newspaper websites) had a still photo on the home page today.

I did not want to see a picture of that poor man seconds before he passed away. Poor taste.

I love the Winter Olympics, but it's killing me that the ceremonies are INSIDE. Arc'Teryx is based right near Vancouver so throw on some goretex and take it outside. :down:

:lol: I was wondering about that.

On the one hand, I completely understand wanting to stay dry.

On the other hand, I'm laughing and yelling "WUSSES!"

Signed,

Drizzly and blustery in Seattle

i had to laugh during the buildup when bob costa said that there was rain on and off all day but it was okay because the opening ceremony was inside.

i mean, come on guys, it's the winter olympics! you didn't expect rain or snow?

Bob Costa always adding his wonderful commentary to the opening ceremonies. Always quick to point out war and disasters with introductions during the parade of nations. :down:

True, but I'm actually watching the NBC feed because I'm learning fun facts about different countries, including my own :reject:

And how sad was it to see the Georgian delegation? I read somewhere the coach is also the dead athlete's father.

This opening ceremony feels understandably inferior to 2008's summer games (it is in Canada after all), but Jamaica always makes me smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom