Vancouver 2010 - Oh Yeah! - ATTENTION:SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm hoping nothing changes with that. But, I saw video of Cypress and meh, not much snow. I've got Snowboarding Halfpipe tickets--thankfully it's my only event that day, so if it moves, I should have the time to get there and back.

From what I've been hearing, these are just rumours that have just been from the general public. It looks like there are people constantly working at Cypress to move the snow around.

That's good that you'll be able to go even if it moves. We definitely won't be able to go to another mountain, so we'll have to sell the tickets. That shouldn't be too hard to do, but I'm hoping it won't be necessary.

I'm not sure what time the press conference is, but I'd assume it would be in the next few hours.

So what's the vibe in Vancouver like these days? Are most people looking forward to the Olympics or do they think it's put too much of a financial strain on the city and province?

From what I've been hearing, these are just rumours that have just been from the general public. It looks like there are people constantly working at Cypress to move the snow around.

That's good that you'll be able to go even if it moves. We definitely won't be able to go to another mountain, so we'll have to sell the tickets. That shouldn't be too hard to do, but I'm hoping it won't be necessary.

I'm not sure what time the press conference is, but I'd assume it would be in the next few hours.

I hope for your and everyone's sake they don't move it. Logistically, it seems impossible at this late date.

I was watching some of the X Games to get me even more excited for the Olympics.

I wonder if the Games will be a ratings bust in the US. Shaun White is the best known person :huh:.

So what's the vibe in Vancouver like these days? Are most people looking forward to the Olympics or do they think it's put too much of a financial strain on the city and province?

Hmm...my general feeling from just talking to people down the pub, co-workers, taxi drivers, plenty of locals can't be bothered with the Olympics. Some others are totally hyped about them. The media is over-the-top with coverage.

The city is definitely electric right now...buzzing! Never seen this city like this before. Flags, people, vehicles, cops, helicopters, jet fighters, commandos on the water, food and beer, lights.....things are just everywhere and magnified x 10.

The other thing that's out of place is the weather. Well we get El Ninos every few years, so this isn't uncommon, but you knew Murphy's Law was going to kick in for the Games. Yesterday was up to 15c/60f in Victoria and I think it got up to 13-14 here. Visitors coming here better not be bringing big puffy jackets like George wore in Seinfeld:lol: For in the city here, a light jacket with layering underneath will do and an umbrella. Anybody going up to Whistler will need normal winter attire.

Saw some photos of snow being trucked to a mountain venue - hopefully they'll get snow. The city backdrop looked great on NBC news :up:.

Yeah, it's been very warm. I love it, but it's definitely not good for "winter!" :lol:

Yesterday some friends and I went around the city to see some of the free stuff going on. Most of the really good stuff doesn't start until next weekend, but we had a blast. Taking the SkyTrain, etc. was interesting, as the cars were totally packed whenever we needed to go somewhere by that. The lineups are definitely going to be long to take that once things start in earnest.

If you're in the city, here's the website where we found all the free stuff. There are some really awesome things to do!

If the timing works out, I'm definitely going to try the zipline! We stopped in that area yesterday, and it looks like it will be awesome!

Lately it's been hovering around 10C (50F), which is quite warm for this time of year. There's no snow, and not very much up on Cypress (one of the mountains being used for events). They've had to truck in snow from other mountains in order to make sure the venues are able to be used. :yikes: Thankfully Whistler seems to be fine snow-wise.

Recent pics from the last month.

23maj40.jpg

photo by Anti-Matt, flickr
Vancouver downtown peninsula, late Jan '10
24q8obq.jpg

gmcmullen flickr
Olympic Village
w9t9xc.jpg

susan quittins, flickr
Olympic Village in foreground under the 'copyright' text.
2jihwp.jpg

Vectorial Elevation nightly light display
154vhqq.jpg

susan, flickr
11hz6s5.jpg

Robson Square ice rink
9zyalz.jpg

Granville Street
e0fyhy.jpg

entheos_fog flickr
1 week before Games. English Bay Beach
1z1e3gm.jpg

Cherry blossoms out near Sunset Beach
6pcnxu.jpg

Munkin flickr
One of many ferries to take you further afield along BC's coast line. Whistler is less than hour up and behind from where this pic is taken.
eaqlqf.jpg

Zipline over Robson Square
2iast91.jpg

The zipline is only up for the Olympics. :drool: Some friends and I are definitely going to attempt to do that. The website says to expect long lines, so we're going to show up early in the morning, get in line, and be prepared to wait several hours for our turn. :lol:

Oh man, that's tempting.
Anyone know what the status of the "Ewok village" is by the Capilano bridge? I'd love to go back there. It wasn't finished when I was there several years ago.

And BTW, thanks for posting those pictures. It's a beautiful city.

/\ It starts in the foreground left of centre - the two-toned blue scaffolding tower. I then goes down to the right side of the photo to another scaffolding tower next to the sidewalk on the street.

The zip line will start off at 6 stories high and the travel 170 metres across the Robson Sq ice rink(GE Ice Plaza for the Olympics). It's free and open from 9 - 21.00. Also, skating at the rink is free and open 10 - 24.00.

Oh man, that's tempting.
Anyone know what the status of the "Ewok village" is by the Capilano bridge? I'd love to go back there. It wasn't finished when I was there several years ago.

And BTW, thanks for posting those pictures. It's a beautiful city.

Oh, I heard about that rainforest canopy walk thing. $20 I think but probably well cool......link about it - Ewok Village — Vancouver Is Awesome

American skier Lindsey Vonn revealed Wednesday morning on the "Today" show that she has a shin injury that could affect her participation and performance in the Winter Olympics, which begin Friday.

Vonn said her shin bruise is extremely painful because it is located at a point of contact with her ski boot. She could not give "Today" show host Matt Lauer an estimate -- in terms of percentage -- of how healthy she was entering the Games.

Later Wednesday, at a press conference in Vancouver, Vonn said she was unsure she'd be able to compete in the games.

"I'm sitting here today questioning whether, you know, I'll be even able to ski," Vonn said. "I have to play it by ear."

Vonn said she injured her right shin in a training run a week ago in Austria. It was diagnosed, she said, as a deep muscle bruise, and Dr. William Sterret, a doctor for the US ski team, told her it could take several weeks to heal.

Vonn is widely regarded as the top American athlete at the Games, and she was planning to compete in all five Alpine skiing disciplines at Vancouver. The first, the women's super combined, is scheduled for Sunday.

"I honestly don't know if I'll be able to do it," Vonn said.

The injury on the eve of the games is reminiscent of the 2006 games in Torino, Italy, when Vonn -- then Lindsey Kildow -- crashed during a practice run and was taken to a hospital. Pain medication helped her race, but she did not win a medal.

Vonn said she may have to limit her training runs, and she did not rule out skipping a race if she is not up to it.

“I’m a lot less sure about this injury than I have been in the past,” she said. “I’ve fought through injuries in the past. I’m no stranger to that. But it’s going to be really hard. I have to stay positive and do the best I can. That’s all I can do.”

According to the New York Times, Vonn has not skied the Olympic downhill course at Whistler yet because Canadian officials have kept it closed to all but the Canadian ski teams.

No doubt. :D

I hope she rests and competes in her later events instead of reinjuring herself by trying to compete on Sunday.

The shitty thing for her is that the speed events are first up. She's nowhere near as dominant in the technical events as the speed ones. I'd be shocked if she missed the Downhill and Super-G though.

I'm a big ol' sap. This totally brought tears to my eyes.

Olympic Torch Relay nearly complete - The Big Picture - Boston.com

Some stuff about the Olympics just makes me sad and a little grumpy (how the national pride often looks like "WE MUST BEAT EVERYBODY" instead of, you know, national pride - or is that just us in the US with our nightly medal count?), but other stuff about the Olympics just makes me happy.

Like these pictures! The one taken at night with the horseback riders in headdresses is my favorite.

I'm a big ol' sap. This totally brought tears to my eyes.

Some stuff about the Olympics just makes me sad and a little grumpy (how the national pride often looks like "WE MUST BEAT EVERYBODY" instead of, you know, national pride - or is that just us in the US with our nightly medal count?), but other stuff about the Olympics just makes me happy.

me too :shh: brilliant photos.

that's why it's quite nice being from a country that doesn't win much and isn't expected to (although, summer-wise we kick ass per capita). there's minimal media expectation of winning and just seeing the little silver fern doing whatever stirs up enough pride in me.

Just a few pics for now.

View of downtown peninsula from Grouse Mtn
20ups1i.jpg

Robson Square and the end of the zip line on the right
35lem43.jpg

Coal Harbour downtown
rqx5hl.jpg

pics by raggedy 13 skyscraperpage

Wow, amazing shots, my birthcity is so stunningly beautiful. I'm glad Vancouver will have the opportunity to showcase its beauty in the coming weeks.

And maybe, this warm weather will dispel the stereotype that Canada is cold everywhere, all the time.

Tragedy strikes already. :sad: A Georgian luger has died after a practice run this morning. I couldn't bring myself to watch the video of the crash, but it sounds horrific. There's been no official comment yet, but reliable news sources are saying he's died. So sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom