Van the Man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VertigoGal

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I think it is very sick and wrong that there are no threads dedicated to Van Morrison. He's got many classic songs like Moondance, Gloria, Into the Mystic, Wild Night, and my personal favorite, And it Stoned Me. His albums are incredibly consistent, although Moondance is probably the best. Tupelo Honey, Astral Weeks, and Avalon Sunset are my other favorites. He's got one of the best voices in music, in my opinion...it's very passionate and often very sweet. :heart:

What are your thoughts on Van the Man? Discuss.

"Moondance" is a lovely song. Great music. I have that song on a mix CD :yes:.

And "Brown-Eyed Girl"-my parents would play that around the house often back when I was a kid, so I've grown up loving that song. It's a classic. And the other songs mentioned and whatnot are good, too :yes:. I like his voice, he's got a great one.

Sort of on topic...I remember seeing a video on VH1 Classic once for his version of "Have I Told You Lately?", and I don't know where it was that the video was shot, but I wish to god I could've gone there, it looked like such a beautiful area :).

Yeah, the Irish have kind of a good history in regards to musicians, don't they :wink:?

Angela

lives in my neck of the woods...comes into pubs and starts saying people should be thrown out because he's there and should have the place to himself, his music may be as good as people say it is, but there isn't anyone as up-himself as him. :eyebrow:

Oh I love Van Morrison.

One of my favorite "oh what the hell" purchases ever was his No Guru, No Method, No Teacher album. I wasn't really planning on it, but saw it in the cheapo bin and grabbed it. And it's such a great album, I still really love it.

I have several of his albums (need to get more), but because I didn't expect much of that one and it turned out to be one I really like, it will always hold a special place for me.

And I also love his voice -- so distinct. :yes:

gareth brown said:
lives in my neck of the woods...comes into pubs and starts saying people should be thrown out because he's there and should have the place to himself, his music may be as good as people say it is, but there isn't anyone as up-himself as him. :eyebrow:

Yes I've heard he is a grump old b**** as well. Where are we talking about as a matter of interest, is it Donnybrook?

gareth brown said:

I'm not surprised. I've no doubt he's an ass in person, but I do adore his music. :) (and I have a thing for cranky old bastards.... :wink: )

"Into the Mystic" is quite possibly my favorite song ever. I tend to like his early albums, from Astral Weeks to Tupelo Honey, but I do like a lot of the songs after that. :up:

Financeguy, Bath (England) he lives on the outside exactly, but he comes to Bath for a drink every now and then.

Yes, I've also heard he's really weird in a kind of irritable paranoid sort of way. But I really do enjoy his older music very, very much. I'm so glad I discovered dimeadozen. I've gotten a couple of good early shows off of there that are just :drool: worthy.

LOL, that's nice, financeguy :p.

VertigoGal said:
Dunno how I forgot Brown Eyed Girl :shocked: I'd melt for any guy that sang that to me.

:yes:. There's lots of great love songs I've heard-that's one of 'em.

Originally posted by VertigoGal
I know what you mean....I've never seen any vids of his, but the places he creates in his songs, I always want to go there.

Mmhm :).

Also, yeah, I've heard he's rather eccentric and tempermental and whatnot, but...*Shrugs*. Meh.

Angela

Haha, nice! You get a few rowdy people on the town at the weekend in Bath [maybe he's AMONG THEM?!] Used to live in two floors above a bookshop behind the Abbey...25 metres from the NIGHTLY TAXI QUEUE...! So, you know, hours of inane babble and shouting from drunk men was to be expected if you wanted a good night's sleep

...the reason I mention this is because I'm just about to go out on my bike to get some night shots of the city and am going to have to deal with a swamp of drunks questioning why I'm out with a camera ronud my neck on my bike and why I'm male and have long hair...you know, so I'll need this post as a clue to where I went in case I'm jumped by a gang of drunk sailors or something...

I remember seeing him perform on one of the late night talk shows several years ago. It was riveting -- in a trainwreck kind of way. I was thinking "what the fuck is he doing?", but for the life of me I couldn't turn away. :yikes:

But because he's so good I cut him a lot of slack. :yes:

Last edited:
Lost respect when I saw him in concert. He had no respect for the audience.

Saw him play at the Tribeca Film Festival last year. It was very obvious he was there for the $ and was just going through the motions. He got booed by alot of people.

blimey...! :ohmy: and to this quote here...!!

bsp77 said:
Lost respect when I saw him in concert. He had no respect for the audience.

Care to elaborate??

Back
Top Bottom