Van Halen RULES!! (so, why aren't they ruling?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
theyre one of the more laughable 80's hairbands, perhaps thats why they arent "ruling" any more.

------------------
-deathbear

My very first concert was Van Halen, 5150 tour
biggrin.gif
my parents took my brother and I
icon37.gif

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Deathbear, they were around before and after the hairband thing. I don't like them much, but they're not a hair band. DLR, however, would have fit right in as one. I like the Hagar years much more.

David Lee Roth is one of my fellow pirate apes. Ah yes, we had good times, good times indeed. Someday I shall tell you the story of how I was a part of the band, and was asked to leave...

*banana of far-away look in my eyes*

Oh my fellow primates, I am an old, old ape!

*banana of geritol*

Originally posted by Danospano:
They're perhaps the most exciting band of the last 20 years yet they haven't put out a killer album since 1995. Did they run out of steam or are they just taking a break?

Normally, I wouldn't be posting a thread on Van Halen, but I popped in "The Best of" album this morning and couldn't believe I lost touch with this great band! "Jump", "Jamie's Cryin'", "Panama", "Dreams", "Right Now", "Humans Being", "Dance the Night Away", "Can't Stop Loving You". Unbelievable!

Anyway, I just wanted to give a shout out to the Halen.

Bring back Sammy!

The main reason they haven't been doing much lately is because Eddie has Cancer. From what a friend told me (He's a big Van Halen Nut) Eddie isn't doing well although I haven't been able to confirm this through a reputable news source.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
theyre one of the more laughable 80's hairbands, perhaps thats why they arent "ruling" any more.

I would disagree, =VH= definitley not a "hair band. Though they are likely responsible in large part for many of them. So many of what has been termed "hair bands" (I don't like the term nor do I like the term "grunge" for the 90's Seattle bands) seemed to be emulating Van Halen. Bleached blond flamboyant singer, and guitarist attempting to create Eddie-esque solos.
Unfortunately egos have destroyed the band, and as time goes on it appears EVH's ego is the biggest of all. DLR is a buffoon, that is for sure, but that incarnation of the band made some great hard rock music, and was the biggest band in the world for a spell.
As for Eddie's cancer...official word is he's doing fine...but who knows for sure. A statement Eddie himself released regarding the long rumored reunion with Roth blamed lawyers for preventing it, saying in the old days you just shake hands and go play, now all kinds of lawyers get involved.

I am interested to see what happens when =VH= gets inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame. Obviously Roth and Hagar will no longer have a problem showing up together( as after years of being sure they hated each other, they met and are now co-headlining this summer's "Sans Halen" tour), and Michael Anthony is good friends with Sammy. The Van Halen brothers are the wild card. Eddie may not want to grace the stage with his former frontmen. I assume Gary cherone won't be invited since VHIII tanked.
Sadly I don't expect to ever see Van Halen play again...so I'm glad to have seen them 7 times.

Ahh, Van Halen! Now there's a band that I never thought would be mentioned at a U2 site. The first band that I ever was really into was Van Halen. Van Halen 1 was one of the first albums that I bought. Roth and Eddie were a lethal combo of charisma and chops. Then, in 1985, DLR left the group in hope of a successful solo career AND a successful movie career. Eddie was left searching for a frontman and stumbled upon Hagar and the rest is history. I liked Dave when he was with VH. After 1991,though, I no longer even liked when he was a solo act. I liked Sammy more. Sammy is a good dude. With him, VH released 3 great albums. 5150 was an awesome rocker with some poppy songs as well. OU812 was a shift to an even more poppier sound with songs like When It's Love and Finish What Ya Started. Then FUCK came along in 1991 with some balls out RnR and some good pop songs like Right Now and Runaround. But, by 1995, the VH party was over. Balance was a mediocre effort. VH weren't really growing. They just started doing the same shit. Eddie and Sammy were at odds. Eddie fired Sammy. Then Warner Bros. asked for a compilation album with some new tracks thrown in as well. 2 new tracks featured DLR. Supposedly Dave was led to believe that he was back in VH. Eddie said that that was never the case. He was just there to record some songs and that would be it. Poor DLR. Meanwhile, Sammy just wants Eddie to apologize for the way he treated him. He'd even consider rejoining VH if Eddie did so. Gary Cherone was sent packing as well after 1998's VH 3 release. I believe that Eddie should apologize to Sammy and welcome him back to VH. Roth shouldn't come back. He's done. Sammy's still got it. Van Halen would kick ass once again. Too bad Eddie's a dick. It's all his fault. He makes Roth look like a saint.

------------------
The goal is ELEVATION!

Well, I've tried to find an answer to the chief question but, no one really knows what is going on. Perhaps they are waiting for the Hall Of Fame induction next year to make their comeback. But who is going to be the singer? I have all of Van Halens albums in addition to their performance at US Festival 1983.(I also have U2s from that Fest.) I prefer the albums with Dave but like everything even Van Halen III although its at the bottom of the list. They were a huge band in America, maybe even the biggest at one point in America. But outside the USA they only had a small following. A Great band with so many great albums and always great live! I hope they return soon!

They're perhaps the most exciting band of the last 20 years yet they haven't put out a killer album since 1995. Did they run out of steam or are they just taking a break?

Normally, I wouldn't be posting a thread on Van Halen, but I popped in "The Best of" album this morning and couldn't believe I lost touch with this great band! "Jump", "Jamie's Cryin'", "Panama", "Dreams", "Right Now", "Humans Being", "Dance the Night Away", "Can't Stop Loving You". Unbelievable!

Anyway, I just wanted to give a shout out to the Halen.

Bring back Sammy!

Good question.

I don't think they even have a front man at the moment. That guy from Extreme quit.

------------------
ooh eee ooh ah ah ching chang walla walla bing bang.

My brother is a VH fanatic. I've never been much of a fan, but I respect their musicianship and they do have some great songs--they are definitely NOT a laughable hair band (though they might have some of those qualities, but hey, so did Led Zeppelin, one of the greatest bands of all time.) I tend to think that VH shows disrespect for their fans. It's just crazy rumors all the time, because they simply will not come out and say what is going on. It's always something vague like "We're doing other stuff right now but VH has never broken up!" No one seems to know if Eddie is at death's door (I hope not) or if he's pretty much fine. I don't think he's at death's door, but he could be doing not so good and probably no one would find out till he WAS practically dead. I sort of think they should just honorably break up. The Cherone thing didn't work, they've had too many fallings in and out with Dave and Sammy (the co-headlining tour that's happening is just too funny! Dave said that Bono had told them they had to do it for world peace!!) and Warner Brothers dumped them. Where are they going to get another lead singer? Who could it possibly be? They just haven't managed to maintain their popularity in the last few years except among the diehard fans, and I think it's too late at this stage of the game to start again. Michael Anthony seems like a good guy (if not terribly bright) but the VH brothers have huge egos. I've heard Eddie is a real control freak. In conclusion, I would say that Dave certain has tons of character and is probably more distinctive than Sammy, but I prefer Sammy. I like his voice better and he also seems like a good guy, if a bit of a doofus. Dave drives me insane.

I can't believe I had that much to say.

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

Back
Top Bottom