Van Halen is Overrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
It's true.

Eddie Van Halen especially.

People that say he's the best guitarist of all time should be tied down to a chair and made to listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, and Dave Gilmour nonstop for a week.

Van Halen = :down:

Van Halen the band... possibly.

Van Halen the man... I wouldn't be so hasty to label him as thumbs down. As far as technique, his style is relatively unique. The thing that sets Eddie apart from your list of the greatest is his approach. Not always the most subtle. In that regard I don't know why you, davey, have such a hate-on for him...

:sexywink:

I jest.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't complain if I had his talent.

Eddie is technically very good, but ( imo) he has no soul when he plays. If you know what I mean?
Van Halen was a cool band when Roth was the singer.
Their early stuff isn't too bad.

Last edited:
Eddie is considered one of the all time greats because of his style: it's unique, and nobody sounded like him before him. You can cite his two handed finger tapping, his sound, and the use of the whammy bar as things he developed.
The other guitarist you list Dave C, are incredible. Of course Hendrix is at the top of the list, case closed. But Jimmy Page (whom I actually prefer to Eddie Van Halen) is really just coming out of the same school of blues as the other 60's British guitarists: Clapton, Beck, Page, Gilmore...etc. In all honesty, they play the hell out of the guitar, but Eddie is more unique.
Also, Van Halen the band (guitar,bass,drums) is really great. Michael Anthony and Alex Van Halen are the most underrated rhythm section ever. Their groove is incredible. They also do alot of hip shit, like odd time signatures and things like this. Personal preferences are fine, but Van Halen is not overrated in terms of musical ability.

I agree with Jofo, you may not care for VH but there is little doubdt they are very talented musicians. Eddie is an innovator on guitar. His playing is over the top, but its HIS style. Much like Edge is an innovator the other direction. More subtle, simplistic, but still unique. Both Edge and Eddie are similiar in that their musical ideas are typically the springboard for the music of each other bands. I dont know how you can say there is no talent there or that they are overrated?? Their style just isnt your cup of tea. Obviously alot of people do like them so there is definately something to them. Alot of fans of other bands say U2 is overrated but its really more of just their taste is different as well. Most objective people realize U2 are talented, they just may not like the way they are presenting their talent. Music is defined as something pleasing to the ear. This is different for everyone.

I just hate it when people make rash statements like they are fact when indeed they are a complete opinion. If you are going to cut on an artist or even U2 that is fine, disagreement is fine. But at least have valid points to back your position.

Last edited:
while i strongly dislike van halen (i've got a thing against guitar solos 99% of the time)...

u2 is overrated.
pink floyd is overrated.
the rolling stones. metallica. the eagles.
greatful dead are extremely overrated.

this list can go on. and on. and on.

Love him or hate him, Eddie is certainly in the top 5 rock guitarists all time. As others have mentioned, he came on the scene with a fairly unique style, and has spurned many imitators.
For the comment about him playing without soul, well I just saw him Saturday night and there seemed to be plenty. Now he doesn't play bluesy music which is often considered to have more soul, but watching and hearing him live, the man plays with a lot of soul and feel.
And its a joke that Van Halen the band was not a first time RnR Hall of Fame inductee. while the punks were slapping disco around in the late 70's, we have Van Halen to thank for driving a stake through its heart and putting it out of our misery. But many of you are too young to remember the influence the first =VH= album had.

IWasBored said:
while i strongly dislike van halen (i've got a thing against guitar solos 99% of the time)...

u2 is overrated.
pink floyd is overrated.
the rolling stones. metallica. the eagles.
greatful dead are extremely overrated.

this list can go on. and on. and on.

Nirvana is overrated

^i know that. they just didn't come to mind last night.

hence the 'etc.'

those are definetly bad too. characteristic in many a semi-crap punk band (haha, i just called rancid semi-crap...bet really, matt freeman might be good, but he's pretty damn overrated) from the wet coast.

Back
Top Bottom