Valentine's Day Angst-o-Rama

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
Well, it's coming: in nine days it'll be VALENTINE'S DAY, perhaps the most feared holiday all year. Singles hate it (or ignore it) because they have no "special someone" at the moment; couples (especially guys, I think) dread it because of the outpouring of affection/gifts the day requires.

So: is it a dumb holiday? Will you be celebrating it? Are you opposed to its elimination? Share Valentine's Day thoughts, opinions, and anxiety here. :)

I used to celebrate SAD (Singles Awareness Day).

This year I get presents, though! :hyper:

But it's the day after I get my wisdom teeth removed. :mad:

Valentine's Day sucks. :|

I've got nobody. But happy Valentine's Day to everybody who has a special one around. :happy::hug:

:laugh: my single friends and I will be celebrating it by having a lonely hearts dinner , going to Midtown Atlanta to look at the "Mile of Men" :hmm: haha! yes, a local radio station has gathered a bunch of single men to make up a mile and will have them lined up on a street in Atlanta on Valentines! this should provide me with some good entertainment after i have had a few drinks! and later on we will head out to some bars and clubs it shouldn't be a terrible day, at least i hope not! :D

eh, its just another day and another reason for retailers to guilt everyone into thinking they need to buy things or risk looking like bad husbands/wives/boyfriends/girlfriends/partners, etc.

It used to be important to me but in the last few years, not so much. :shrug:

Im going to a formal on the 13th Feburayr but it rins on until 6am on Valentines day...or later :shifty:

The boy im going with is getting me a card and rose

I dont want anything from him though Id like to be presentless

It's purely commercial...a conspiracy by the candy and flower industries, to get us to spend more money on candy that will rot our teeth and make us fat, and flowers that will be dead the next day.

okay I'm just bitter that I won't have a valentine this year :grumpy:

For all you single people:

Attachments

• sanvalentin.bmp
    14.9 KB · Views: 12
:shrug: I have no opinion. There is someone I care about, but don't plan on sending him anything that day. Valentine's Day is cheesy.
It's for kids... remember those cute Valentines we used to give out in class? :heart: That was fun. As for adults... it's a Hallmark holiday.

I have never received a valentine....thing, whatever it is you are meant to receive. I have 2 friends who have birthdays on that day, one is turning 50 and invited us to a party. Hub just took a booking for his band that night:(, so solo...again...if I go at all.
Someone locally has started a rose-growing business, they sell bunches for $5 and last year they put them out at $4 for Valentine's Day...I can't resist a bargain!!! I bought myself some for the first time and I plan to do that again. They were buds and slowly opened over the ensuing week, so colourful, so fragrant...$400 worth of pleasure, at least.
I have got all kind of mushy lately. I am currently scraping the paint off furniture AND the old farm house door on our bedroom(hope I don't get lead poisoning) I bought a can of pink paint very cheaply and a big heart made from plaited cane, which I think I'll hang on the door.. I plan to have that project finished on Valentine's Day and I am trying to decide what to write in script inside the heart. hmmmmmmmm???
Have you heard the song.."send me the pillow that you dream...so darlin' I can dream on it too.." It's an oldie. (Gosh I'm becoming a consumer).The other day I bought this tiny plush pillow with a silk tassle, that has "believe in yourself" embroidered on it. Hub told me how he is feeling lately and it made me cry.
So yes..it does seem like I have plans.

teehee..I just saw Soulful Mofo's post.."paint it black"
I look for signs.....paint the door black?

Crikey mikey....I just read some of the other posts in this thread.
Sorry.
It can be Hallmark kinda day...but you can also homemake cards and such.

I don't know if I'll celebrate it myself...see the journal for further explanation on why V-Day is a major quandary for me at the moment.

well I'm still going to paint the door with a message
but
I've just found out one of our local lads suffered a terrible injury in a sawmill accident yesterday. I'll send the flowers to his mother.

Valentines Day. Great. Just one more thing to remind me that I don't have a love life, along with my aunt who asks if I have a boyfriend every time I see her. And Valentine's Day isn't just one day anymore. I swear, they start putting up Valentine's decorations everywhere right after New Year's. :scream:

I agree. Its a conspiracy between the candy people, the card people, the teddy bear people and the flower people. I mean really, flowers are at their most expensive in winter. why do you think Valentine's Day is in winter?

I'm 25 years old. what am i supposed to do with a red teddy bear?

I have a boyfriend who I will not be seeing on Valentine's Day and I'm fine with that and so is he. If any of you want to borrow him, that's cool. I met him at a U2 concert so he's a good guy. Just make sure its ok with him. ;)

Back
Top Bottom