Useful punishments for students - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2004, 04:20 AM   #61
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:20 AM
detention. during lunch for repeat offenders. 3 times you miss your homework, and you get a week's detention. no humiliation.

and grade their homework.

Old 09-17-2004, 04:24 AM   #62
Jesus Online

marty that's harassment. i dont know what the rules are in france, but here a teacher would be sued (potentially - as an extreme) for making a show of a student's lack of work in front of his/her peers.

there are many ways to make a student regret not doing 15 minutes of homework.

make the homework itself interesting so it isn't such a chore. make them watch english tv shows and write a 200 word report on it, or something. make them find an english website which they have to paraphrase in 200 words. i assume most of them have access to the internet.

or give them detention. you win, they dont get humiliated and everyone is happy.

Old 09-17-2004, 04:33 AM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
marty that's harassment. i dont know what the rules are in france, but here a teacher would be sued (potentially - as an extreme) for making a show of a student's lack of work in front of his/her peers.
Why is that harassment?
Class starts and the teacher wants to discuss the homework. So she asks to a person:
"What are your findings for the first assignment?"
- Uuuuhhhhh... I haven't done it.
"Why not?"
- Well... uuuhhhhhhh... yeah... uuuuuhhhhh... My dog... uuuuuhhhhh... ate my homework ... uuuuuhhhh... before I could take a look at it.
Now the teacher marks that the person hasn't done the homework (three marks and then a detention, or an extra assignment, or whatever) and asks another person.

Of course, this is just a hypothetical example. It could also be like:
"What are your findings for the first assignment?"
- I thought that the answer has to be... <insert a persons findings of the said assignment>

Etc.

So why is it harassment to ask somebody what he/she had found for the assignment?

C ya!

Marty
Old 09-17-2004, 04:53 AM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:20 PM
Not so many students have access to internet. Otherwise, I would have ask them to read FYM and make essaies or debates about it !
Old 09-17-2004, 05:07 AM   #65
Jesus Online

sorry marty, it sounded like you were suggesting to single out those who marie knows hadnt done it, thus harassing them.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:16 AM   #66
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
sorry marty, it sounded like you were suggesting to single out those who marie knows hadnt done it, thus harassing them.
No, I don't mean to single out only those who haven't done it. However, I do think that after a while you know who does and who doesn't do his/her homework. So you can make them have a higher probability to be asked the answers for the assignments. However, it should not be just them, as everyone should have a chance of answering the assignments.

And I still don't think that asking someone if he/she has done the homework (and if not, why not) is harassment. A teacher must be able to ask that. And when someone hasn't done it the last time (or the last few times), then I don't think it is unreasonable for a teacher to ask it again. If only to find the reason for not doing it (and thus finding out if there are other factors/problems that need to be addressed).

C ya!

Marty

BTW, you apologised!
I'm going to keep this 'Sorry'-statement, print it out and frame it.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:49 AM   #67
Jesus Online

i always apologise when im wrong! i'm rarelky wrong though!!

kidding...

but that said ( ) a teacher must treat everyone the same. and obviously knowing after a while who has done homework and who hasn't shouldnt be a reason to start asking thew students who dont, regualrly if they have, while knowing they didnt....this is not making sense
Old 09-17-2004, 05:57 AM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie

another question for you :
what's the best behaviour when finding out a student cheating ?

- if you say : "hey you ! you're cheating, gimme your piece of paper !" = humiliation, right ?

- if you see him / her cheating and don't say anything at the right moment but give him / her a very good mark = how to prove that he / she has been cheating ? He / she could say that I'm a liar cause I have no proof.

Poll : have you ever cheated in class ? Not copying on your classmate but really cheating with your book opened on your knees for instance ?
Old 09-17-2004, 05:58 AM   #69
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
but that said ( ) a teacher must treat everyone the same. and obviously knowing after a while who has done homework and who hasn't shouldnt be a reason to start asking thew students who dont, regualrly if they have, while knowing they didnt....this is not making sense
It might motivate those students to do their homework. If you know they're going to check whether or not you've done it and if you know the probability YOU get checked is high, then there's often a higher motivation to do it.
It's the same everywhere in life. If you know that the probability you get caught speeding is high, then you won't do it (very easily). However, if the probability is low, you're much less bothered with it. Ditto with shoplifting (camera's and RFID tags work to prevent it) or travelling on public transport without paying (checkpoints, personnel, etc.).

C ya!

Marty
Old 09-17-2004, 06:03 AM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MissMaCo
another question for you :
what's the best behaviour when finding out a student cheating ?

- if you say : "hey you ! you're cheating, gimme your piece of paper !" = humiliation, right ?
I don't think that is humiliation. And if it is, then I'm not bothered by it. The student did something wrong. You, as a teacher, have to confront the student with that. They have to know that their actions have consequences which they may not like.

In my classes, if you were found cheating I think you got a standard 1 as a mark (out of 10, so the lowest possible). In some classes detention too, etc. That's the risk of doing it.

Quote:
Poll : have you ever cheated in class ? Not copying on your classmate but really cheating with your book opened on your knees for instance ?
I can't remember exactly (as I think I was quite a model student), but probably. Not much though...

BTW, why isn't copying on your classmate cheating? It is just as worse.

C ya!

Marty
Old 09-17-2004, 06:06 AM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:20 PM
Here if you're caught cheating, the teacher takes your paper and puts a big fat zero at the top.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:07 AM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Copying on your classmate is cheating but I think it's worse to have a crib ! Means that you made it before the test instead of learning your lesson.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:09 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by souLnation2002
Here if you're caught cheating, the teacher takes your paper and puts a big fat zero at the top.

When I was at school myself that's what most of the teachers did too, but some also close their eyes...and thus avoided the conflict
Old 09-17-2004, 06:18 AM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

Social promotion is what usually happens now. I am against it. This is how students get to high school and read at a 4th grade level.

As for parents being up in arms, maybe they should take a harder look at what their student is or isn't doing in school. Teachers and parents have to work together to get children through school.
Yes but imagine your child is wrongly punished for something at school or the teacher takes a disliking to them for no reason but helps the pupils he/she likes and lets your child fall behind even if it hasn't done anything. You would be angry too. Especially if it had been happening a long time before you had heard anything about it. I dont think holding someone back is really a good idea to try and motivate them. If I had a teacher who had held me back I would have been even more discouraged to do my work.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:02 AM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

just for your curiosity: im not supposed to be at school at 10 pm........