USA vs. Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
thought we might need an unbiased single thread for the lead up and aftermath of tommorows game.
after all it's not fair to post in 'USA!!!' or Yay Canada!'
canadaf.gif
vs.
smillie_flag.gif

so in that case herb brooks, coach of team USA has cast the first stone across the border:

taken from http://www.canoe.ca/2002GamesHockeyFeb02/23_brooks-can.html
Saturday, February 23, 2002

USA coach: Canada's hockey style "stupid"

By CHRIS STEVENSON -- SLAM! Sports
SALT LAKE CITY - American coach Herb Brooks fired what amounts to the closest thing to a shot across the bow of Team Canada Saturday.

On the eve of the biggest game in Canada since 1972, Brooks called the way Team Canada plays hockey "stupid."

"Playing that (dump and chase) style is their style, their philosophy in Canada," said Brooks. "They like that style. I think the game is a little more profound than that. I think the ability of the players can allow them to do so much more.

"If you look at football, basketball and football, possession is the name of the game. It seems kind of stupid to me to work hard to get the puck and then say, 'I'm going to give it back to you, then try to get it back again.

"That's going to be (Canada's) style on this rink, the small rink or out in the parking lot."

Brooks said his team is capable of playing more creative, stimulating hockey.

"Our team is very adept at playing what I call a hybrid style. I believe in a hybrid system, where you play East-West when necessary and stretch the zones.

I don't think the Canadian coaches share that. Maybe (head coach) Pat Quinn does a little, but I don't think the others (associates Jacques Martin, Ken Hitchcock and Wayne Fleming) do."

Ouch.

Brooks also pointed out that Canada has zero gold medals over the last 50 years.

While the colourful Brooks made some pretty bold statements there, he's not going to be making any fashion statements.

When Brooks coached the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" USA men's hockey team to the gold medal, he wore a pair of plaid pants behind the bench.

Would he consider breaking them out for Sunday's game?

"No, they don't fit," he said with a laugh, "and they're not in style. I don't think they were ever in style."

He's also been doing some behind the scenes work on Team Canada captain Mario Lemieux, Brooks' ex-boss with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"I told him I've got a Mario bobblehead doll and I've been sticking pins in his hip," said Brooks.

in my opinion brooks comes off as a bit of a yahoo here but it is just a strategy move that i'm sure team canada will pay little attention to.

Ouch!

That really hurts.

"We stoop so low to reach so high..."

Why does America always pick on their "Quiet neighbours to the north?" Wha'd we ever do?

Nontheless, as Kobesan stated, it's probably a ploy to piss off the Canadians.

But then again, look what happened in the women's game when the Canadians got angry (over the flag incident)...

sorry Canadians, but I tend to agree with Brooks to a point, it really doesn't make sense for Canada to almost have to win in spite of their style... yet knowing the history of Herb Brooks, he is only half serious; but it really is quite remarkable nontheless, that Canada can win with any style of hockey you can dream up

as far as Gretzky and his continued whining, it's incredibly rich when you consider he is perhaps more responsible than anyone else for the Americanization of hockey and the NHL (ie, mass migration of franchises from Canadian soil to US soil; inability of Canadian franchises to compete with the big spending of team in major US markets), and hey, Wayne himself set the precedent by forcing a trade to LA... so then where did he go to finish out his career? Edmonton?? Toronto??? nah, New York... OK Wayne!!!
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
as far as Gretzky and his continued whining, it's incredibly rich when you consider he is perhaps more responsible than anyone else for the Americanization of hockey and the NHL (ie, mass migration of franchises from Canadian soil to US soil; inability of Canadian franchises to compete with the big spending of team in major US markets), and hey, Wayne himself set the precedent by forcing a trade to LA... so then where did he go to finish out his career? Edmonton?? Toronto??? nah, New York... OK Wayne!!!
rolleyes.gif

ok. but i don't see gretzky's americanization of the nhl resulting in everyone hating canada, as gretzky suggested. not saying i agree with what you or he is saying i'm just wondering how you got from one to the other.

Hey I?m rooting for Canada in the final!

BTW, is Canucks a nickname for Canadiens?

------------------
Olofski
SWEDEN
We move through miracle days Spirit moves in mysterious ways

It is indeed a nickname for us!
(but not derogatory, hence the name of the Vancouver team!)

Thanks for cheering for us! (something to do with your country's win??
wink.gif
)

well you Swedes probably should feel some sympathy for Canada ever since that shout-out win for the gold medal back in '92

Gretzky... well is this the same man who was so determined to make the NHL an international success? getting everyone involved and competing with Canada at every turn... well Canada has been the target of everyone since international hockey became an NHL event (because Canada is #1 they are who everyone wants to beat, same thing when the old USSR was dominating... it's always that way anything, when you're at the top everyone takes aim at you, the goal is to beat the best... do you think anyone outside of the USA likes the United States men's basketball team?)

but take heart, because if you look around you will see that most people around the world are in fact cheering for Canada today, not the United States
smile.gif

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

I'm so excited right now!!! Only 5.5 hours left!!!

Anyone else feel the same?

Yes! Can't wait. It should be a great game!

------------------
Me3

i am so psyched.

last night we were watching the hip show on cbc, which itself was not bad(i would have liked to see more tho
smile.gif
), but i thought that this is easily the most patriotic i have ever seen canada. in my 22 years, this is the height of excitement? that says something, what it is i'm not sure.

btw, can you imagine how much money labbat and roots are going to be making today. yesterday, canada's most successful olympic day ever, couldn't have come at a better time right before the hockey game. this is a nation in anticipation...

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
Gretzky... well is this the same man who was so determined to make the NHL an international success? getting everyone involved and competing with Canada at every turn... well Canada has been the target of everyone since international hockey became an NHL event (because Canada is #1 they are who everyone wants to beat, same thing when the old USSR was dominating... it's always that way anything, when you're at the top everyone takes aim at you, the goal is to beat the best... do you think anyone outside of the USA likes the United States men's basketball team?)

sorry, i didn't realize that was your point. i completely agree with you and this is why i really think gretzky's comments have been blown out of the water-he was upset, he overemphasized, overstated whatever the obvious and everyone made a big deal out of it. everyone wants to beat canada the same way everyone wants to beat the wings or tiger woods. his comments were silly but worth a grain of salt, imo.

yes lady, it's weird but I jumped right up this morning, the game's not for several more hours so it's kind of silly, I'll probably make things worse by having about 10 cups of coffee before the game starts (God I love coffee!)

Julie, you're not the only one excited.
biggrin.gif

Less than 5 hours to go! We've got our gigantor Canadian flag out (and the smaller one too
wink.gif
), and we're ready to go! Are we there yet??

this is gonna be one hell of a game. Really, close, but for the sake of the nation...

GO CANADA!!!!

There!

Peace out and enjoy the game because it will be a doozy!

------------------
Peace on Earth.

Anyone else notice they played Streets as the players were coming onto the ice?
smile.gif

------------------
nan
MacPhisto made me do it

Every little thing's gonna be alright

well, Canada deserves this one... even though if Hull scores on that great chance on the power play at 3-2 we could have maybe pulled this one out, who knows... ?

oh well, congratulations Team Canada... especially to my favorite player, Martin Brodeur
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 02-24-2002).]

haha! well Mario should enjoy his congratulatory phone call from the PM

did everybody see Dick Cheney was in the house??? I think that jinxed Team USA

I thought I saw Gretzky yell "fuck yeah!!" after the fourth goal
eek.gif

well, congrats to Canada, lady's Mario, and Gagne
biggrin.gif

just not Brodeur
tongue.gif

they all deserve it, the US team was too hesitant, at least in that third

Congratulations to our friends up north.

A gold medal well deserved.

------------------
Me3

Even though Team USA didn't win the gold,I'm happy Team Canada finally got it since it was 50 years that they did. Living 50 miles from Pittsburgh, Pa., I am a big fan of super Mario as we call him. He has had a lot of setbacks in his life dealing with cancer and painful back problems. Congrats Canada for the gold, and congrats USA for the silver.

Back
Top Bottom