USA!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
there are 5 almost evenly matched teams in the Olympics (USA, Russia, Canada, Sweden, Czech Republic), Finland and Slovakia are decent with a few NHL-ers on their teams

you really think all 5 of them are 'even'? i know this sounds stupid in hindsight, but in my opinion, canada and the usa had the best rosters.

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 02-23-2002).]

Originally posted by kobayashi:
you really think all 5 of them are 'even'? i know this sounds stupid in hindsight, but in my opinion, canada and the usa had the best rosters.

I think the Canadian roster is clearly superior to the American roster on paper. As for playing as a team on the ice, we'll see tomorrow.
smile.gif

superior??? uh no, Canada is more talented, but you're taking pretty lightly all-star calibre players like John LeClair, Mike Modano, Tony Amonte, Brett Hull, Jeremy Roenick, Brian Leetch, Doug Weight, Chris Chelios, Phil Housley, Bill Guerin, Brian Rafalski, Mike Richter and a few others that maybe aren't all-stars but have been good NHL players for several seasons... and that's not to mention that of a few of these guys like Hull, Leetch, Chelios, Housley, LeClair and maybe even Richter are future Hall-of-Famers... and most of these guys on the team have won Stanley Cups

I'm not disputing how good Canada is, but it's innacurate to say they are superios to Team USA, I don't like where that statement is going, it sets up a scenario where if the US wins, people will diminish the victory and say, "well Canada is the superior team, it was just a lucky game for the USA"

as I have said before, depth-wise, Canada is superior to every other country (they have enough talent to have 2 or 3 great teams while other countries have enough talent for only 1 team), but the advantage is not that definitive when you compare the elite players

as I have said before, depth-wise, Canada is superior to every other country (they have enough talent to have 2 or 3 great teams while other countries have enough talent for only 1 team), but the advantage is not that definitive when you compare the elite players

i think the greater depth in the wingers and defencemen is what might carry canada tommorow. i really don't feel the us has anyone like smyth, who will come after nolan, lindros, neuiendyck(sp?) to crash the net beyond roenick or leclair

well hopefully Keith Tkachuck will play tomorrow...

unlike everyone else, the US has defensemen physically capable of standing up these guys at the blue line and keeping them from driving the net on a consistent basis

well if richter keeps on playing the way he did yesterday...
canada hit a hot goalie, albeit inexperienced in mezin though.
it should be a classic game.

Originally posted by BabyGrace:
(hey ladywithspinninghead, whatcha gonna do if your beloved Mario wins?
biggrin.gif

Oh my, I just can't wait BabyGrace!!!!
Wanderer made a good point to me a few days ago - he said it's probably, in all likelihood, Mario's last chance at glory (probably last year with Pens and they're not going far)..I will be ECSTATIC for the man! No one deserves it more!

The only time I will scream more this week is when U2 makes a clean sweep at the Grammy's!
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by ladywithspinninghead (edited 02-23-2002).]

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:
Mario's last chance at glory (probably last year with Pens and they're not going far)

this is an interesting question-i think lemeuix will play next year and then call it. BUT i can't imagine lemeuix not considering how to get kariya out of anaheim and into pittsburgh. everyone knows kariya is on his way out of disneyland and after playing with him for a week i would expect lemeuix's mind to be racing. after he thinks about team canada, of course.

As much as Mario would like to play with Kariya, I don't think he can afford Kariya's $10 million salary. The Pens had to trade Jagr, remember?

Originally posted by The Blunt Edge:
As much as Mario would like to play with Kariya, I don't think he can afford Kariya's $10 million salary. The Pens had to trade Jagr, remember?

contracts get restructured, other players can get cut. if the team wants to stay in pittsburgh, which mario says they do, they need a superstar-->mario HAS to retire if not this year then probably next. they need a superstar and paul is one who will be moving shop this summer, imo. he would revel at the chance to play with straka and mario for just a year.

how long has this forum existed???
redface.gif

does anyone know what time the game is tomorrow? I think it's 2:30 but I cant find it anywhere..
thats right when Im at work but you can bet this one is being taped

I really don't mind which team wins (although of course I'd love to have the U.S.
biggrin.gif
)
Canada's really hungry for that gold though, how longs it been? since '52?? hey ladywithspinninghead, whatcha gonna do if your beloved Mario wins?
biggrin.gif

well, we'll see, both highly talented, this should be one hell of a game
Im voting for Russia for bronze tonite too...

I'm not disputing how good Canada is, but it's innacurate to say they are superios to Team USA, I don't like where that statement is going, it sets up a scenario where if the US wins, people will diminish the victory and say, "well Canada is the superior team, it was just a lucky game for the USA"

That's not true. The US women's team was highly regarded as the favourites and as a better team, and when Canada won, nobody said they were just lucky. They won because they were simply better on that day. It had nothing to do with luck. In any case, I don't see what the point is of people already setting up scenarios and rationalizations for the outcome which is still over 24 hours away. Let them just play, and have the chips fall where they may. And you can disagree, but I still think the Canadian team is clearly better on paper. I live in a house of 2 hockey maniacs, and as soon as they saw the rosters, they said the same thing. So, we're all entitled to our own opinions.
smile.gif
And as kobayashi said, we've got depth.

well I wouldnt mind having Mario get a gold medal, I just don't want Lindros to..how evil am I??
biggrin.gif

just got home to see Canada score
frown.gif

and just missed LeClair's goal
frown.gif
frown.gif

looks like Richter's made some damn good saves though..wonder if the US can pull it off..

Back
Top Bottom