US Open Tennis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great first set. Someone please tell Dick Enberg that we got it, yeah, he's 35, ok, enough already. Sheesh!

I forgot to mention how Federer has won 22 finals in a row too which is ridiculous.:ohmy:

This don't bode well for Agassi as he has played excellent so far but still lost the set. If Federer's first serve percentage drops, and Agassi gets some second serves, I give him a chance. But Feferer hits winners out of nowhere which is amazing to watch plus he has great range.

Agassi is playing fantastic right now. His groundstrokes and variety of shots are excellent. He has really given Federer a different look plus hammering his backhand is proving to be effective.

I can't believe how calm Federer is despite almost the entire building cheering his opponent. It must be so tough not to get frustrated especially since his game is off right now.

Still a long way to go though. This has been a great final so far. This is why tennis is such a great sport. Matches can swing momentum in an instant. I have seen players come back from being down 3-0 and 2 sets to win matches so as long as they keep up the quality of the match, I 'm happy.

This is the first time I have seen Federer play with no confidence. He looks like he is afraid to hit the backhand, he is just putting it back in play. That last game looked to be the turning point unless he can rally himself to raise his game, Federer better get his bag ready to go home without the trophy.

Tiebreaker, oooh!!

7-1, wow, just like that. Federer found his game when he needed to.

Unbelivebale to do what Federer did to Hewit in yesterdays tiebreak(7-0) and then to smack Andre 7-1 today. That hurts. It's gonna be pretty damn tough for Agassi now, but like Bon Jovi said, you gotta keep the faith.

Agassi had a golden chance but blew it as soon as 1)He let Federer break him back in the 3rd, and 2)Let Federer slam him in the 3rd set tiebreak.

Screw Federer. I am so sick of him already. I would rather see Agassi or Hewitt or Roddick or Blake or Ferrero or Safin or freaking anybody win some slams other than Federer. I am bored to death of watching him win everything.

Anyway, incredible effort by Agassi.

Well you gotta give it to Federer, the guy is a machine. I mean seriously he only lost 3 matches all year long. That's insane. he is the man no doubt about it. It's obvious that after the tiebreak Federer' game sky rocketed while it seemed to suck the life outta Agassi. It sucked the life outta the crowd too. If Agassi had to lose though I'm glad it was to Federer. Like I mentioned before, once Agassi decides to hang'em up Federer will be my favorite. How can you not like the guy? he's nice, classy, and amazingly fun to watch. He's so quietly racked up 6 Grand Slam titles already!! :scratch: :huh: He's on pace to shatter Sampras's record. Agassi on the other handis and always will be my all time favorite. I've cheered for him since the days of the mullets and acid wash jean shorts:ohmy: Besides Patrick Roy he is my favorite athlete of all time.
Don't retire Agassi!!

Last edited:
I hate this... I'm already down...

the only thing I enjoy right now is when Federer won it was "ok... this is ridicoulus... but good for him"... then the PA guy said "2 time winner Andre Agassi" and the crowd ERUPTED... that's good

I knew he was in trouble when they stoped show Steffi...

still, you are the Best, Andre.. :hug:

:( Somthing in Agassi's eyes just seemd to say that he knows this was his last US Open. he was gracious in defeat but I don't ever remember seeing him so... almost melloncollie after a finals loss. I honestly hope he doesn't retire.:(

pepokiss said:

still, you are the Best, Andre.. :hug:

:yes: And he is more than just a tennis player to me. I have been following him ever since he started out ( More or less ) and this guy is just a legend. Its always enjoyable to watch him play :bow:
I hope the guy keeps playing for a few more years, because it wouldn´t be the same without him.

Still it was a great victory for Federer :up: and he is an amazing player.

Andre just ran out of gas at the end. I mean, he threw everything he had at Federer and still could not hang on to third set. Of course, his spirit was crushed after the 3rd set especially with the dominating 7-1 decision.

Andre is at that Jimmy Connors crossroads where he has already decided to selectively participate in certain tournaments due to the overwhelming physical drain on his body. If he does continue to play, it will only be at a handful of tournaments and he will give it up as soon as he feels he is no longer competitive. I, for one think he should retire from competitive tennis after this amazing performance. Sampras retired after his last US Open victory. Agassi has to take medication for his back just to compete and take it from me, I'm 36, it is hard to compete with the twenty year olds and I take really good care of myself. Tennis ain't golf where you peak in your 30's. Most players hardly play into their late 20's let alone mid-thirties.

I felt the same way many of you did about Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg when they reached the end of their careers and I hated Ivan Lendl because he won everything too except for Wimbledon. But you know what, that's tennis. Players go on runs of being the top dog, but they come and go.

Federer is the top dog right now but someone else will show up and kick his butt too. It's the nature of the beast. There are many great young players like Roddick, Hewitt, Blake, and Safin who have the ability to beat Federer but they just have to have that perfect match.

Great tournament this year. Both men's and women's.

trevster2k said:
Andre just ran out of gas at the end. I mean, he threw everything he had at Federer and still could not hang on to third set. Of course, his spirit was crushed after the 3rd set especially with the dominating 7-1 decision.

Andre is at that Jimmy Connors crossroads where he has already decided to selectively participate in certain tournaments due to the overwhelming physical drain on his body. If he does continue to play, it will only be at a handful of tournaments and he will give it up as soon as he feels he is no longer competitive. I, for one think he should retire from competitive tennis after this amazing performance. Sampras retired after his last US Open victory. Agassi has to take medication for his back just to compete and take it from me, I'm 36, it is hard to compete with the twenty year olds and I take really good care of myself. Tennis ain't golf where you peak in your 30's. Most players hardly play into their late 20's let alone mid-thirties.

I felt the same way many of you did about Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg when they reached the end of their careers and I hated Ivan Lendl because he won everything too except for Wimbledon. But you know what, that's tennis. Players go on runs of being the top dog, but they come and go.

Federer is the top dog right now but someone else will show up and kick his butt too. It's the nature of the beast. There are many great young players like Roddick, Hewitt, Blake, and Safin who have the ability to beat Federer but they just have to have that perfect match.

The difference though trevster2k between Agassi and the guys you mentioned is that Agassi is still on the top of ,his game. When Sampras went out the planets aligned for him and he made that one last run at a title(US Open). Sampras had been struggling for 2 years up till that point. Agassi is not struggling a bit. When the new rankings come out he may very well be in the top five in the world. At the very worst he remains in 7th. I see no reason for him to hang'em up unless he feels it's time and whether or not he feels the commitment that's necessary to compete is worth it. But as far as his ability to compete, he's still right up there with everyone else. he can beat anyone at anytime save for maybe Federer who it seems nobody can beat. Just ask Roddick and Hewit:laugh: As for the comment about players coming and going isn't it amazing how Agassi has come and gone and then came back again. Honestly the guy had like this weird career of Pre Brooke Shileds brilliance, then the ill fated Brooke shields era where he slipped to what...180th in the world and had to play qualifying tournaments and then again to be number one in the world only to slip abit due to injuries and now again in his mid 30's to be back in the top 5(I'm assuming) is amazing. He's definately had one of the strangest careers ever. I honestly belive that had he been as focused when he was younger as he is now he would no doubt own the record for most Grand Slam titles. Think about it. he broke in with Sampras, Chang, Courier and those guys yet they are long gone and here Agassi is still performing at the highest level. After all he was the one who had all the hype and "potential" it wasn't always supposed to be Sampras.

Last edited:
trevster2k said:

Ah, man, thanks for mentioning Stefan Edberg. He was my favorite player when he was playing. Andre doesn't have anything to be ashamed of. He played some great tennis, but ran out of steam in the end, and Federer is such a great player. I haven't watched that much tennis lately because I got a bit bored with ace-ace-power tennis for awhile there, but I like both Andre and Roger because they can both do so much more than just serve.

I agree that Agassi still as the ability to rise to the occasion from time to time but he is far from the top of his game. Yeah, he's ranked 7th or whatever but his results this year speak for themselves.
Before this tournament.

Record 32-10

Titles 1

Prize money $759,596

Federer is at the top of his game.

Record 64-3

Titles 9

Prize money $4,140,518

Plus I'm sure he is in great pain after his matches plus it sucks losing to players who when you were younger could beat with one arm behind your back. I think he will give it up. Don't get me wrong, Agassi is one of the best players ever but after seeing the look in his eyes after this match, he may give it up.

trevster2k said:
I agree that Agassi still as the ability to rise to the occasion from time to time but he is far from the top of his game. Yeah, he's ranked 7th or whatever but his results this year speak for themselves.
Before this tournament.

Record 32-10

Titles 1

Prize money $759,596

Federer is at the top of his game.

Record 64-3

Titles 9

Prize money $4,140,518

Plus I'm sure he is in great pain after his matches plus it sucks losing to players who when you were younger could beat with one arm behind your back. I think he will give it up. Don't get me wrong, Agassi is one of the best players ever but after seeing the look in his eyes after this match, he may give it up.

hahaha! Wow! the last paragraph is a bit of a stretch. that'd be like saying all players ten years ago would dominate this new generation of players. I don't think so. But you can't compare Agassi to Federer because you can't compare anyone to Federer at this point. Maybe Nadal for 2005 but even he's not close. he went on a massive run sure but... Federer is so on another planet right now to compare anyone to him is unfair. I totally hear what you're saying though, Agassi is older and it's tougher to recovery from matches and injuries(hence his abscence at Wimbledon) but right now I don't feel is the time for him to quit. This will never happen but how amazing would it be if he could hang in for one more year and possibly take a shot at the olympics. I know it won't happen but could you imagine Agassi ending his career winning a Gold medal at the olympics for the United States.

Off topic becasue I can't send PM's: trevster2K I used to live in Fort Simpson, NWT. For me when I was younger Fort Nelson was the big city. the hotel had a swimming pool year round:laugh:

I agree that would be a great way to end his career with an Olympic gold. I'm from the school of thought where I would rather see great athletes retire than hang around at a lesser skill level. I didn't mean older players could dominate today's players nor mean that Agassi could kick Federer's butt if he was younger.

I meant that Andre, himself, must hate losing to some "lesser" players and having to retire and miss tournaments due to injury must suck for a guy who used to be the "rebel" of the tour. And the comparison of Andre and Federer was just showing what a player at "the top of his game" is doing. Just a perspective.:wink:

BTW, I'm sure he must hate it when the younger players call him "Mr. Agassi" or sir.:wink:

I visited Fort Simpson about 3 years ago for a softball tournament which we won and went to represent the NWT at the slo-pitch nationals. Of course, we sucked at the championship. We have a Boston Pizza now, ooooh! PS. aren't you Bono on the David Usher boards too?

Last edited:
trevster2k said:
I agree that would be a great way to end his career with an Olympic gold. I'm from the school of thought where I would rather see great athletes retire than hang around at a lesser skill level. I didn't mean older players could dominate today's players nor mean that Agassi could kick Federer's butt if he was younger.

I meant that Andre, himself, must hate losing to some "lesser" players and having to retire and miss tournaments due to injury must suck for a guy who used to be the "rebel" of the tour. And the comparison of Andre and Federer was just showing what a player at "the top of his game" is doing. Just a perspective.:wink:

BTW, I'm sure he must hate it when the younger players call him "Mr. Agassi" or sir.:wink:
Yeah jno doubt. he used to be the badass, now he's the respected elder statesman. I hear ya. it would be so hard to want to be out there competeing everyday yet having to nurse nagging injuries constantly. I agree if he were to sputter and struggle it wouldn't be a great way to end his career but for now the only thing that seems to be a question mark is the health. Damn wonkey back. Other than that I honestly think he has another grand Slam in him.

I visited Fort Simpson about 3 years ago for a softball tournament which we won and went to represent the NWT at the slo-pitch nationals. Of course, we sucked at the championship. We have a Boston Pizza now, ooooh! PS. aren't you Bono on the David Usher boards too? [/B]
ha! Holy crap I am Bono from there. In fact I'm Bono on every single site I ever go to except here. Hallucination is a reference to David's album. Here's a thread I started in Bang and Clatter http://forum.interference.com/t138277.html Not much love for him here as you can see. I didn't even bother responding to the last comment.

ha! I just saw that you were one of the two who responded in the thread. Thanks.:laugh:

namkcuR said:

Screw Federer. I am so sick of him already. I would rather see Agassi or Hewitt or Roddick or Blake or Ferrero or Safin or freaking anybody win some slams other than Federer. I am bored to death of watching him win everything.

Poor sport!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom