US Open Tennis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Federer = AMAZING. What an ass kicking he layed on Nalbandian. Hewit's in trouble no doubt. When the sad day comes and Agassi retires I think Federer will be my favorite. I know it sounds convenient to just jump on the #1 player in the world's bandwagon but he's so fun to watch. Plus he's a class act. I like him, I just hope Agassi rolls him in the final. Assuming they both get there:wink:

Indeed, no further Argentines in the draw... Federer is BIG TIME favorite to win the whole thing. It will be nice to have a Federer - Agassi final, though....

Headache in a Suitcase said:
how come they can divert the planes out of laguardia for the friggin US open but teh rest of the summer they have to fly so close to shea stadium that i spill my damned beer. :grumpy:

Because those damn planes never shut up when the point is about to start.

Before we go crazy about how amazing Federer was yesterday, can we also take note that Nalbandian did NOT play very well, yesterday?

Just to jog everyone's memory, in last year's U.S. Open in one of the later rounds(I don't remember which), Federer and Agassi played and because of rain delay, it spanned two days. On the second day, it was INCREDIBLY windy and Federer was playing very well. Nontheless Agassi went the full five sets and was literally points away from defeating him.

I'm far more concerned with Agassi's ability to physically hold up during the U.S. Open's dumbass Saturday-Sunday semifinal-final one-two punch(the other slams' schedule with semifinal on friday and final on sunday is MUCH better) than I am with his ability to merely play good enough to beat Federer. If both Agassi and Federer had a week off beforehand and were both coming in totally refreshed, Agassi has a better chance than most to beat Federer, but in this situation it gets tougher. I just hope Agassi dispenses of Ginepri quickly in three sets - he's already played WAY too many long matches. 4 sets against Berdych, 5 against Malise, and 5 of course against Blake.

namkcuR said:
Before we go crazy about how amazing Federer was yesterday, can we also take note that Nalbandian did NOT play very well, yesterday?

Yes, but Federer has been impressive throughout the entire open. He's on a roll.

I agree about Agassi, though. If he can make quick work of Ginepri, I like his chances that much more. But if he has to go through another five set marathon, I don't know how well he'll hold up.

namkcuR said:

Just to jog everyone's memory, in last year's U.S. Open in one of the later rounds(I don't remember which), Federer and Agassi played and because of rain delay, it spanned two days. On the second day, it was INCREDIBLY windy and Federer was playing very well. Nontheless Agassi went the full five sets and was literally points away from defeating him.

I'm far more concerned with Agassi's ability to physically hold up during the U.S. Open's dumbass Saturday-Sunday semifinal-final one-two punch(the other slams' schedule with semifinal on friday and final on sunday is MUCH better) than I am with his ability to merely play good enough to beat Federer. If both Agassi and Federer had a week off beforehand and were both coming in totally refreshed, Agassi has a better chance than most to beat Federer, but in this situation it gets tougher. I just hope Agassi dispenses of Ginepri quickly in three sets - he's already played WAY too many long matches. 4 sets against Berdych, 5 against Malise, and 5 of course against Blake.

Namkcur,

It's obvious that you're pulling for Agassi to win if he faces Federer in the final. I'm a devout Federer fan (have been ever since he beat Samprass in 2001), and I wouldn't mind seeing Agassi pulling out a miracle win.
You keep reminding us about the time that Agassi ALMOST defeated Federer. You are convenientely forgetting the many other whippings that Federer has given Agassi. He has defeated and has had Agassi's number for 8 straight matches since 2002. Most of Federer's wins have been almost effortless against Agassi, having won 4 of those in straight sets. It got close just once and Federer still came out on top. I'm not saying that AGassi doesn't have a chance. I'm just saying his chance is extremely small.

The women's championship has been fantastic since the quarter finals. Sharapova v petrova, venus v kim and davenport v dementieva were all fantastic matches. Today's Semi-finals were even better.

My heart bleads for Maria, she wasn't a million miles away from beating kim today. Maybe had she avoided the long bathroom break after incredibly taking that 2nd set, she might have been able to keep the momentum she had and possibly take the match. What a match though. The point on Clijsters first match point was incredible. Congrats to Kim, but I'm really disapointed for Maria. However she is young, she has had a very consistent year in the slams, being on the verge of greatness in each one this year, she is completely devoted to her tennis (People, please stop with the comparisons to Anna Kournikova, she was a TERRIBLE Player), and has a great fighting spirit. She will no doubt win many more slams (not sure about the french).

As for the men, what can you say about Federer?He is simply awsome. Its as simple as this: If Federer plays Agassi in th final, and he plays anywhere close to his best, he is simply going to win with ease. A huge drop in his form will be necessary for Agassi to win. I'm not saying that it wont happen, but Federer usually gets better as the rounds progress, not worse. Agassi has been a fantastic servent for tennis, a true legend. Even if he was to get trolleyed by Federer it would be no shame at all!

Go Roger.

04072511 said:
As for the men, what can you say about Federer?He is simply awsome. Its as simple as this: If Federer plays Agassi in th final, and he plays anywhere close to his best, he is simply going to win with ease. A huge drop in his form will be necessary for Agassi to win. I'm not saying that it wont happen, but Federer usually gets better as the rounds progress, not worse. Agassi has been a fantastic servent for tennis, a true legend. Even if he was to get trolleyed by Federer it would be no shame at all!

Go Roger.

yes

Must be easy to be a Federer fan, when the agony of loss is nearly nonexistant. I'd like to see how many of you Federer 'fans' would still be there should Roger for whatever reason take a turn for the worse and, say, not make it out of the quarters in any slam for a year. All I'm saying is that it's real easy and convenient to be a 'fan' of the guy who is all the rage in the tennis world right now while he's winning titles left and right.

namkcuR said:
Must be easy to be a Federer fan, when the agony of loss is nearly nonexistant. I'd like to see how many of you Federer 'fans' would still be there should Roger for whatever reason take a turn for the worse and, say, not make it out of the quarters in any slam for a year. All I'm saying is that it's real easy and convenient to be a 'fan' of the guy who is all the rage in the tennis world right now while he's winning titles left and right.

I am a federer fan because he plays amazing tennis, but I am more of a good tennis fan really. I would love to see someone really challenge him. That would make for very thrilling matches.

I am a Federer fan because of the way he plays tennis not because he wins. I have never seen anyone who is so wonderful to watch. His display in this years Wimbledon final was in my opinion the most perfect performance ever witnessed.

namkcuR said:

I've been a Federer fan way before he became #1. If he had a bad year, I'd still be a fan. There is something different about the way he plays tennis. It's more graceful and seems more natural. He moves like a cat on the court. It almost like more of an art with him than a sport.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andre Agassi has officially advanced into the 2005 United States Open Championship Match!!!!!!!!

Now Andre, go to sleep and do not wake up until you have to play tomorrow. You're gonna need the rest.

Well NamkCur,

We got the final matchup that we wanted. Now we'll have to see if Agassi will make it as exciting as he did last year when they met at the open.

at least we know, on September 11, the whole stadium WILL BE rooting for an ALL AMERICAN Agassi to beat once and for all that Swiss bitch...

well, I like Federer A LOT more than that NADAL jackass... but I can't even begin to explain my admiration for Andre Agassi... he's like the Shawn Michaels of Tennis... the living legend, the Icon, the Showstopper... the Ayrton Senna of Tennis, the Michael Jordan...

He's Andre Agassi... and you CAN'T deny THAT!!!

Let's go Agassi... because you deserve it

pepokiss said:
at least we know, on September 11, the whole stadium WILL BE rooting for an ALL AMERICAN Agassi to beat once and for all that Swiss bitch...

well, I like Federer A LOT more than that NADAL jackass... but I can't even begin to explain my admiration for Andre Agassi... he's like the Shawn Michaels of Tennis... the living legend, the Icon, the Showstopper... the Ayrton Senna of Tennis, the Michael Jordan...

He's Andre Agassi... and you CAN'T deny THAT!!!

Let's go Agassi... because you deserve it

Swiss bitch????

That is what you call arguably the greatest player ever in tennis?

You obviously arn't a true fan of the game because you fail to recognize that Mr. Federer is special.

I agree with boosterjuice. I don't know about being a true fan of the game but give Roger Federer more respect than that. He is a gentleman of the sport, well liked and respected by his peers and broadcasters alike. He has displayed an incredible skill level with his backhand being his only "weakness". He is humble and has shown only respect for his fellow players.

Andre Agassi is indeed a legend especially considering his age. He is way past his prime yet still exhibits a great game and ability to rise to the occasion. He is an inspiration and testament to other tennis players. He is one only a handful of players to win all 4 majors in a career and finally outgrew his rockstar image in the early years of his career to become the great player he is today.

This should be an excellent match but I think Federer has a huge edge over Agassi. Federer has almost no weaknesses while Agassi is an excellent returner and possesses more experience but less mobility.The fans will of course be cheering for Agassi but I would say they will probably be cheering for great tennis.

Both players look good right now.

Last edited:
Ok, maybe I got a little over the edge, but...

I just don't like guys that take away the fun in sports.. maybe Federer still hasn't done that yet... but I don't want him to be the michael Schumacher of Tennis, the guy that singled-handedly made true F1 fans go away and watch something else... NOW it's interesting, because he actually SUCKs this season...

and I don't want to see that happening to Tennis... that's part of my problem with NADAL...

even when Sampras weas Nº1 five years in a row it was interesting....

that... and Let's go Andre

Back
Top Bottom