URGENT: Dutch interferencers, I need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
This guy I work with says his mom used to call him "hahn-yahk". We both have VERY Dutch backgrounds and are wondering if this is a Dutch word and if so, how it's spelled. We have a bet going on how it's spelled in Dutch, if it is Dutch.

:confused:

She called him what?!?

That doesn't ring a bell, not even a small distant one 14 planets from here...

What should it mean?

We don't know what it's suppose to mean. I'm going to ask my mom and grandpa. The Dutch that my family still speaks is an older dialect from Groningen that's not the Dutch people commonly speak (like a slang Dutch I guess), so maybe it's one of those words.

Last edited:
Ah, Groningen! Then maybe you should contact Rono. He's from that region (IIRC, he's Frysian actually).

Popmartijn said:
Ah, Groningen! Then maybe you should contact Rono. He's from that region (IIRC, he's Frysian actually).

I think I will. I believe our dialect is a mix of Dutch and the Frysian language (Frys?) and the person in the Netherlands who explained it to us called it "Gronix" (not sure how you'd spell that, but that's how it sounds in English).

I think you mean Gronings, which should sound quite like Groninx in English.

*still is thinking about hahn-yahn*

splash_dutchboy_341.gif

Popmartijn said:
I think you mean Gronings, which should sound quite like Groninx in English.

*still is thinking about hahn-yahn*
Actualy, when you say is out loud, Groninx is good.

They first thing i thought about is liitle chicken ( that little yellow version :wink: ) but it difficult to speak out Hanh Yahn loud without knowing how this should sound. The nieghbours must think i am crazy .:|

Hahn = rooster and yahn sounds like a word we use for little child.

But i will ask my father about this, he is a hardcore frisian.

it sounds like cognac but with an "h" like haaaaahn yaaaaahk, but the "y" would I'm guessing be a "j" to you and the "h" maybe the harder "g" sound like in "Groningen". In English, we would spell it "honyack".

Where's Salome?

If it is Belgian, ask greety on PLEBA, she's from Belgium. It might be Flemish.

I said the word today to all my relatives and the all recognized it, but no one knew exactly what it means. So it's definitely our form of Dutch/Gronings. My mom is going to figure it out....

Just out of curiosity, do you guys know any of these words? (sorry about the spelling, I'll try my best!):

benoud = if you are sad or melancholy, we say you are "benout"

puppetje = we say this for a sad, or benoud looking child but I think it means a rag doll (?)

luppie = no idea how to spell that one so that's how we say it, like "puppie" and for us it means our blankie or stuffed animal we carry around when we're young

suessen and soniken = we say this when kids are whining. My mom says there's no English verb that is equivalent and it means to repeat the same word over and over. So, if I were to whine constantly about wanting candy, my mom would say "stop your suessen and soniken!"

rumeltje/crubetje = our junk, like at home our junk drawer is the rumeltje drawer. We also say crubetje, but we're told that one is some slang unique to us. We also call crumbs or little lint fuzzies "crubbies"

keike sinc/ kieke sinc = (no clue if that's spelled ever remotely right!) means "look!" or "look over there!" Some people use the "ie" sound and some use the "ei" sound.

These are words I've grown up with and had to teach my boyfriend after getting some strange looks.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Just out of curiosity, do you guys know any of these words? (sorry about the spelling, I'll try my best!):

benoud = if you are sad or melancholy, we say you are "benout"

I do know the word 'benauwd' (I think it's pronounced the same). That means more something like 'feeling choked' though and is not immediately connected to sadness (more to anxiety).

puppetje = we say this for a sad, or benoud looking child but I think it means a rag doll (?)

Poppetje, literally translated as small doll, but you can address it affectionally to a child.

luppie = no idea how to spell that one so that's how we say it, like "puppie" and for us it means our blankie or stuffed animal we carry around when we're young

Doesn't ring a bell, but I've heard the strangest things for the blankie/stuffed animal stuff. :)

suessen and soniken = we say this when kids are whining. My mom says there's no English verb that is equivalent and it means to repeat the same word over and over. So, if I were to whine constantly about wanting candy, my mom would say "stop your suessen and soniken!"

I think this is 'zeuren en zaniken'. Whining in English (repeated for extra emphasis)

rumeltje/crubetje = our junk, like at home our junk drawer is the rumeltje drawer. We also say crubetje, but we're told that one is some slang unique to us. We also call crumbs or little lint fuzzies "crubbies"

Rommeltje: junk-like. Rommel is junk in Dutch. No this does not equate to my house. :)

keike sinc/ kieke sinc = (no clue if that's spelled ever remotely right!) means "look!" or "look over there!" Some people use the "ie" sound and some use the "ei" sound.

Kijk eens hier! (Look over here!). Although, some Dutch dialect substiture the 'ij' with 'ie', which will then sound something like 'Kiek es hier!'

Rono will probably know a bit more of the dialects those up north speak. ;)

C ya!

Marty

Cool that you recognized them! We often have a hard time studying our words since most of them were taken to America hundreds of years ago and then changed here overtime and now sometimes barely resemble modern Dutch or their original spellings/pronounciations.

Popmartijn said:
Doesn't ring a bell, but I've heard the strangest things for the blankie/stuffed animal stuff. :)
I think it's "lappie" instead of "luppie"
which would be the word we use for a piece of cloth

otherwise I agree with Martijn
it could also be "zeugen en zanikken" instead of "zeuren en zanikken"
though zeuren en zanikken is used more often

:hmm:

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:

Rono will probably know a bit more of the dialects those up north speak. ;)

C ya!

Marty
Yeah right. do you realy beliefe i can translate American dialect Groninx words into normal dutch ?

Kiek mien jong, zo doen wie ut nait.

BTW, you are right about the most. But i think benoud has something to do with fear on the face.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I said the word today to all my relatives and the all recognized it, but no one knew exactly what it means. So it's definitely our form of Dutch/Gronings. My mom is going to figure it out....
Record it,...:wink:

Back
Top Bottom