Uranium City, Saskatchewan Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
didnt know you could use appropriate as a verb... is it pronounced "appro-pree-ate" when you use as it a verb compared to "appro-pree-aht" for the noun?

Correct - and has a different meaning too. To lazily copy from dictionary.com:

3. to set apart, authorize, or legislate for some specific purpose or use: The legislature appropriated funds for the university.
4. to take to or for oneself; take possession of.
5. to take without permission or consent; seize; expropriate: He appropriated the trust funds for himself.

Love how I've only been back from my hiatus for about four hours and managed to clock up fifty posts already. :laugh:

Status update: I'm good whenever bar Friday night as well for meeting up. My class is actually this week, so that's sorted.

Come to think of it, the Indian place on Lt Collins sounds good, and has my vote, although I'll leave it up to the rest of you to decide, really.

Ax has my mobile number, but I don't have Bonnie's email address, so maybe she could obtain it off him?

And just in case, uwenlow@gmail .com is where you can get me.

Status update: I'm good whenever bar Friday night as well for meeting up. My class is actually this week, so that's sorted.

Come to think of it, the Indian place on Lt Collins sounds good, and has my vote, although I'll leave it up to the rest of you to decide, really.

Ax has my mobile number, but I don't have Bonnie's email address, so maybe she could obtain it off him?

And just in case, uwenlow@gmail .com is where you can get me.

Hell, I wouldn't be averse to going somewhere Greek AND the Indian place on Little Collins. It's not every week Bonnie's in Mellabornikki/Molbunnai.

G'day. :wave:

How's the uni bullshit going at your end? My hiatus from Interference has been thankfully productive. My two main essays are both just about done. :drool:

That's great. :hi5:

I've decided to concentrate on just one class this week, as the final is Thursday, and then finish up my online class over the weekend. After Thursday I will have a homework assignment, a final and a final essay to complete by the 23rd. I can doooooo iiiiiiiiiit!

One more week, we just have to stay strong! :lol:

That's great. :hi5:

I've decided to concentrate on just one class this week, as the final is Thursday, and then finish up my online class over the weekend. After Thursday I will have a homework assignment, a final and a final essay to complete by the 23rd. I can doooooo iiiiiiiiiit!

One more week, we just have to stay strong! :lol:

Sounds intense, but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel! I was looking at having to write 1,000 words a day at one point, but a couple of productive days and now I can breathe and relax. Now my concern is not actually reaching the word limits, but staying inside them! I actually wouldn't have a problem with the word limit for one item if a change hadn't been made at the last minute that added a second item of assessment and cut the word limit for the first item. Bleh.

So I have one essay due Friday, another due any time between Friday and next Tuesday (aiming for Friday), and an exam Monday. Then that's it and I'm off for a piss-up to wash away the semester. Wine makes everything better.

Single Best Album of 2000 - 2008: Answer now!

Take your pick of Porcupine Tree's three releases this decade, or maybe Alcest's Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde or Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third or Agalloch's The Mantle.

Oh fuck. In 12 days, I will have spent the majority of my life in Australia.

I hope I get so drunk that when I wake up, I'm on a plane back to New Zealand.

Take your pick of Porcupine Tree's three releases this decade, or maybe Alcest's Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde or Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third or Agalloch's The Mantle.

:yes: I was gonna pick Deadwing.

Oh fuck. In 12 days, I will have spent the majority of my life in Australia.

I hope I get so drunk that when I wake up, I'm on a plane back to New Zealand.

:lol:

Single Best Album of 2000 - 2008: Answer now!

Yo Zoots buddy you still here?...can I answer this question?

I just stumbled onto this thread...God knows why...and I don't know if I'm even allowed or qualified to enter :yikes:

Do I need a ticket? Or a key? Do I have to pass some sort of physical examination?

Anyway...to the question you posed...I'm not sure if I can give you a certain "best" album of that time period but I can give you two albums that are without DOUBT the two most influential albums of 2000-2008...influential in terms of impact on the music scene at large and in terms of cultural shifts...

2001 - Is This It - The Strokes
2000 - Kid A - Radiohead

Yo Zoots buddy you still here?...can I answer this question?

I just stumbled onto this thread...God knows why...and I don't know if I'm even allowed or qualified to enter :yikes:

Do I need a ticket? Or a key? Do I have to pass some sort of physical examination?

:laugh: I'm sure the friendly superthread peeps will welcome you here! Nice picks by the way! Kid A is definitely very close to #1 for me. Is This It, I need to listen to that one more.

:yes: I was gonna pick Deadwing.

I have a tremendously difficult time ranking the latest three PT albums. I think I would rank Deadwing the best followed by FOABP and then In Absentia, but then part of me wants to put In Absentia first, so that should indicate just how little difference I perceive between the albums in terms of sheer quality.

Porcupine Tree fans on Interference?

Which one has the song 'Blackest Eyes'?

That song kicks all sorts of ass. In fact, I'm gonna listen to it right now.

Actually, yes, you do have to pass some sort of physical examination! Our initiation ritual, if you will, is that all newcomers take the purity test and post their score: 100 Point Purity Test

I assure you, we have results from the entire range of the spectrum here.

Otherwise, all you need to know is that this is a madhouse that can go from picspam of Melbourne trains and Auckland planes to a serious discussion of theology in contemporary politics in a matter of five minutes.

Porcupine Tree fans on Interference?

Which one has the song 'Blackest Eyes'?

That song kicks all sorts of ass. In fact, I'm gonna listen to it right now.

I would be quite the Porcupine Tree fanatic. Front row at all three of their Australian concerts back in April. Fuck yeah.

Blackest Eyes is on In Absentia. And it owned live. Especially in Melbourne, when Steven Wilson had his earpiece lodged in his ear canal and lost his timing, so he tried to get it back through humming the tune while the audience sung the chorus.

I have a tremendously difficult time ranking the latest three PT albums. I think I would rank Deadwing the best followed by FOABP and then In Absentia, but then part of me wants to put In Absentia first, so that should indicate just how little difference I perceive between the albums in terms of sheer quality.

I usually go with In Absentia, but yeah, they are all interchangeable.

I think I would rank Deadwing the best followed by FOABP and then In Absentia

:yes: That's how I would do it. FOABP is really good but a little too short... despite the 17 min Anesthetize. In Absentia is good but Strip The Soul, Lips of Ashes etc. do not compare to Open Car, Halo, Glass Arm..., My Ashes etc. IMO.

GAF: Blackest Eyes is from Absentia.

This is what it told me after I took that slightly intrusive purity quiz....:wink:

You answered "yes" to 52 of 100 questions, making you 48.0% sexually pure (52.0% sexually corrupt); that is, you are 48.0% pure in the sex domain.
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 14%, based on a comparison of your test results with 1219397 other submissions for this test.

The average purity for this test is 55.3%.
The first submission for this test was received June 16, 1994.

I would be quite the Porcupine Tree fanatic. Front row at all three of their Australian concerts back in April. Fuck yeah.

Blackest Eyes is on In Absentia. And it owned live. Especially in Melbourne, when Steven Wilson had his earpiece lodged in his ear canal and lost his timing, so he tried to get it back through humming the tune while the audience sung the chorus.

Front row???

That had to have been insane! One of my good friends is really into Porcupine Tree....he was telling me about how originally it was Steven Wilson's side-project and he wanted to create a fictional/mythical band called Porcupine Tree and it ended up becoming the full-fledged band that it is now.

Pretty cool if you ask me.

:yes: That's how I would do it. FOABP is really good but a little too short... despite the 17 min Anesthetize. In Absentia is good but Strip The Soul, Lips of Ashes etc. do not compare to Open Car, Halo, Glass Arm..., My Ashes etc. IMO.

GAF: Blackest Eyes is from Absentia.

I like that FOABP is concise. I'm glad SW didn't drag it out for the sake of dragging it out. And Anesthetize is just mindblowingly good. The middle section in Brisbane was, and I mean this in all seriousness, the one concert moment I've ever experienced that has come close to One Tree Hill in Auckland.

Strip The Soul is one of my personal IA favourites. I have to wonder what any neighbours think if they overhear me singing "STRIP THE SOUL! KILL THEM ALL!" though. I'd say the album's weakest tracks are Lips Of Ashes and Heartattack In A Layby. Wish Drown With Me were on the album proper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom