Upperthong, West Yorkshire Superthread - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #121
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Oh, yeah, I can already think of places I would love to photograph. Check out, for instance, Denniston, now a ghost town but formerly one of the most significant coal mining towns in the rugged West Coast region.
There you go. I'm sure people would buy a book like that. Don't ever think that you can't do something because others don't in that field.

I love ghost towns. I think that would be a neat place to explore.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #122
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

There you go. I'm sure people would buy a book like that. Don't ever think that you can't do something because others don't in that field.

I love ghost towns. I think that would be a neat place to explore.
It does break somewhat out of the academic mould - but I get the increasing feeling that the academic mould, through decades and centuries of tradition, has become too restrictive and needs to be challenged anyway. The best academics do that.

Ghost towns absolutely fascinate me. Understandably, there aren't really that many in this part of the world since it's so young, but places like Denniston are gems. I just wish it were easier for me to get to them!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #123
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:

It does break somewhat out of the academic mould - but I get the increasing feeling that the academic mould, through decades and centuries of tradition, has become too restrictive and needs to be challenged anyway. The best academics do that.
Good, you're thinking big. You could even start a history blog documenting what you are studying or planning to explore. Your gift to the world might be to renew interest in Kiwi history. If you really want to then anything is possible. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #124
Blue Crack Addict

Old 05-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #125
Vocal parasite

G'day, phanan.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #126
Blue Crack Addict

How's it going?
Old 05-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #127
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Good, you're thinking big. You could even start a history blog documenting what you are studying or planning to explore. Your gift to the world might be to renew interest in Kiwi history. If you really want to then anything is possible. Good luck!
Thanks.

I've thought of making some kind of blog or website of "on this day in New Zealand history", highlighting bizarre historical events that people might enjoy reading about. That would require a fair deal of time, though, time I don't have right now.

And renew interest in Kiwi history? I'm not sure there was much in the first place.

(Actually, I sort of tell a lie there. In the early 1900s, there seems to have been in some American and European quarters a minor fascination with New Zealand. Shame it didn't last or anything.)

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #128
Blue Crack Addict

If I become a comic book writer I am going to have a website with a blog and forum to stay in touch with the fans. I would also do what almost nobody in the industry does, I will read fan concepts and fan comics. I figure it is the least that I could give back if I break into the industry.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #129
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
How's it going?
I'm actually doing work right now. Sort of. I was chugging along nicely with an essay on the democratic peace thesis when I was struck with an idea for my Honours year thesis. Now I'm trying to write crap on democratic parties resorting to terrorism while thinking about the interplay between transport networks and political influence in nineteenth century New Zealand.

How about yourself?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #130
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I'm actually doing work right now. Sort of. I was chugging along nicely with an essay on the democratic peace thesis when I was struck with an idea for my Honours year thesis. Now I'm trying to write crap on democratic parties resorting to terrorism while thinking about the interplay between transport networks and political influence in nineteenth century New Zealand.

How about yourself?
I had to go to the dentist this morning.

I hate the dentist.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #131
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Thanks.

I've thought of making some kind of blog or website of "on this day in New Zealand history", highlighting bizarre historical events that people might enjoy reading about. That would require a fair deal of time, though, time I don't have right now.

And renew interest in Kiwi history? I'm not sure there was much in the first place.

(Actually, I sort of tell a lie there. In the early 1900s, there seems to have been in some American and European quarters a minor fascination with New Zealand. Shame it didn't last or anything.)
I think the blog or website idea is great. Too bad you don't have the time. I think it would get a good response. Axver's Day In New Zealand History. It has a ring to it.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #132
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I think the blog or website idea is great. Too bad you don't have the time. I think it would get a good response. Axver's Day In New Zealand History. It has a ring to it.
Axver's Day

Sounds like a future New Zealand holiday.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #133
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I had to go to the dentist this morning.

I hate the dentist.
I went to the dentist a few days again.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #134
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Axver's Day

Sounds like a future New Zealand holiday.
I think you exchange toy trams on that day.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #135
Blue Crack Addict

Phanan and Axver, I hope in the next few days you give Punk Cabaret a chance. You never know if you'll like it.

Tags
superthread