Update on the new (we hope) Bruce album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The link works for me :shrug: Honestly, I would rather have a full blown E Streeter Bruce album. This one sounds interesting, but if its just the acoustic theater tour I will probebly skip it.

martha said:
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Well sure the link works, but I can't find anygoddamthing about a new album. So somebody tell me what the hell is going on!

:mad:

Cut and paste the fucker if ya have to.

Only if you ask nicely.
:sexywink:

OK, your wish is my command. :D

From the link kindly provided by miss Sherry Darling:

News updated February 11, 2005

ALBUM WATCH 2005: SHORT TIME COMING?
As we head into Grammy weekend, with Bruce nominated in the Solo Rock Vocal Performance category, all the chatter regarding a new album and tour continues to build... And while nothing is yet official, we're starting to get a clearer picture of what might be in store(s) this year. Multiple sources suggest that a full album is complete, tentatively titled Devils and Dust. (You might recall, a song by that name was played at soundcheck/rehearsals for both the Rising and Vote for Change tours.) With that title song as the lead track according to preliminary reports, the album is reportedly planned for a late-April release. A coinciding tour is also in the planning stages, with buzz already building within the concert industry.

More of a solo project than a full-band affair, the new material was recorded in recent months with help from Rising producer Brendan O'Brien, and notable contributions from drummer (and 23rd Street Lullaby co-producer) Steve Jordan, Soozie Tyrell, and others. Speculation has been that the album would be a return to The Ghost of Tom Joad territory, and with song titles like "Black Cowboys" and "Silver Palomino," that sure sounds close to the mark. Springsteen has also revisited unreleased material from the Joad era, recording studio versions of "The Hitter" and "Long Time Coming" (both performed live on the 1995-97 tour) which are expected to see release at last.

Who knows if Grammy will smile on Bruce this weekend, but we'd bet there’s going to be a whole lotta potential for 2006. Bear in mind, it's too early for any of this to be set in stone, but right now it's All We're Thinkin' About, so stay tuned and we'll keep you posted.
- February 11, 2005

:wink:

Marty

I hope it means solo as in different band like The Rising. Love the E Street Band live, but I actually prefer a different sound on the records these days.

joyfulgirl said:
I hope it means solo as in different band like The Rising. Love the E Street Band live, but I actually prefer a different sound on the records these days.

While I rather enjoyed that album, I agree. I think the E Street sound is something that doesn't work with every song Bruce writes, though when he does take an acoustic-y track, say "Atlantic City" or "Youngstown" and E-Street-ify it, it's usually pretty awesome live. Still, I think this is a nice move, and fits nicely in the Upbeat/Dark tendencies Bruce has had since Born to Run. Of course, not all his upbeat stuff is happy, to be sure. But not as overwhelmingly dark as the rest.

Born to Run - upbeat
Darkness - Dark music and lyrics
The River - Mostly upbeat.
Nebraska - DARK
Born in the USA - Upbeat music, if downbeat lyrics.
Tunnel of Love - DEPRESSING AS HELL
Human Touch/Lucky Town - Upbeat, the recovery albums
Tom Joad - DARK
The Rising - Upbeat/inspirational most of the time.

It works really well within this pattern, so I can't say I'm surprised. No need for surprise, though, so long as the music's good.

Oh man why another album like The Ghost Of Tom Joad, yeah that's a very good album but I was expecting something with the whole E Street Band so much!! I was expecting a good old rock n' roll record with upbeat songs and some lyrics influenced by American politics nowdays. Well, at least there's a new Bruce record coming and the title sounds good. It could be a rocker. :hmm:

hmm. this thread appeared to be on crack the first time i tried to post in it.

i look forward to any new music from him, really.

Here's some interesting (rumour?) news from The Velvet Rope (another forum that is :)):

Details about The Boss's new album and tour are starting to trickle out. Titled "Devils and Dust"... A track listing was leaked a little while back as follows:

Devils and Dust
All the Way Home
Long Time Coming
The Hitter
All I'm Thinkin' About
Reno
Black Cowboys
Maria's Bed
Silver Palomino
Jesus Was an Only Son
Leah
Matamoros Bank

Also thought this tidbit I found on the net very interesting:
"Although the set list indicates the CD contains 12 songs, 13 will in all likelihood be released. The 13th is the one which will push the CD over the edge to have a parental advisory. At this time, Sony is not revealing that the song is on the CD or that the CD will have the parental advisory. The business side of the Bruce Camp, to include Sony marketing, is attempting to influence Bruce not to include the song. They have advised him that it will hurt sales and negatively impact Bruce's image. Although we would like to think that Bruce does not care about these things, he is advised by people who do. As a result, the reporting of a set list which is not completely finalized.

To note is the last minute change, specifically the inclusion of Long Time Comin' which was added during the last week of remastering. "

Could this be something political, given Bruce's strong stance against the current administration?

And, as far as a tour is concerned, there are sites reporting that it will begin anywhere from March 27 to April 10. Small venues on the first leg, followed by areas as he is joined by the E Street Band.

it's official:

COLUMBIA RECORDS TO RELEASE DEVILS & DUST ON APRIL 26
Columbia Records will release Bruce Springsteen's nineteenth album, 'Devils & Dust,' on April 26. 'Devils & Dust' features twelve new Springsteen songs.

'Devils & Dust' Track List

1. Devils & Dust
2. All The Way Home
3. Reno
4. Long Time Comin'
5. Black Cowboys
6. Maria's Bed
7. Silver Palomino
8. Jesus Was an Only Son
9. Leah
10. The Hitter
11. All I'm Thinkin' About
12. Matamoras Banks

'Devils & Dust' was produced by Brendan O'Brien, who first worked with Springsteen on the acclaimed CD, 'The Rising.' The new album was recorded at Thrill Hill Recording Studios in Los Angeles and New Jersey with additional engineering at Southern Tracks Recording in Atlanta.

Springsteen is planning a tour to accompany the release of the album. Details will be announced shortly.

theedgefan said:
it's official:

COLUMBIA RECORDS TO RELEASE DEVILS & DUST ON APRIL 26
Columbia Records will release Bruce Springsteen's nineteenth album, 'Devils & Dust,' on April 26. 'Devils & Dust' features twelve new Springsteen songs.

'Devils & Dust' Track List

1. Devils & Dust
2. All The Way Home
3. Reno
4. Long Time Comin'
5. Black Cowboys
6. Maria's Bed
7. Silver Palomino
8. Jesus Was an Only Son
9. Leah
10. The Hitter
11. All I'm Thinkin' About
12. Matamoras Banks

'Devils & Dust' was produced by Brendan O'Brien, who first worked with Springsteen on the acclaimed CD, 'The Rising.' The new album was recorded at Thrill Hill Recording Studios in Los Angeles and New Jersey with additional engineering at Southern Tracks Recording in Atlanta.

Springsteen is planning a tour to accompany the release of the album. Details will be announced shortly.

Now this is a thing of beauty! :faint: :hyper: :rockon:

SD

Back
Top Bottom