Unpopular music opinions take II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobl04

45:33
'twas a good thread and all.

I start today by saying that I really don't like grunge and from what I've heard of the two bands I prefer the Foo Fighters over Nirvana.

might as well start with a bang, y'know.

A missed opportunity to rebrand the thread something more appropriate. Like "Opinions are divisive, so there are probably going to be people who think your opinions are crap, so don't bitch when it happens."

The realm of Grunge according to me:

Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Alice in Chains
Smashing Pumpkins
Nirvana
Stone Temple Pilots
Mudhoney

oh that probably was a bit of an awkward connection. a few mates and i were talking about them, i just said i like the foo fighters more than nirvana, and he was in both bands.

times like these, everlong...

A missed opportunity to rebrand the thread something more appropriate. Like "Opinions are divisive, so there are probably going to be people who think your opinions are crap, so don't bitch when it happens."

i was thinking about it, just couldn't think of the right words.

Laz and I had a small Foo Fighters discussion just now in the Them Crooked Vultures thread (Grohl's new band, for those of you who don't know), but I'm definitely in the FF > Nirvana boat.

It should also be said that opinions are like assholes, and if one was able to offer up more than one of the latter at a time, your family would be living like royalty.

Foo Fighters part of that post-grunge category that has spawned bands such as Live, Goo, Gin Blossoms:heart:, Nickelback, Creed, Seether, Staind, Puddle of Mudd? Maybe? Or is that label worn out?

Unpopular opinion, Taylor Swift is ugly, and looks like a spoilt 9 year old brat who thinks she' s a pretty little princess but isn't.

Taylor Swift really isn't all that good looking, I'll go that far. Certainly not ugly by any stretch of the imagination of course.

Fair dinkum, out of the current crop of female solo artists to recently emerge, Swifty has got nothing. She'salso up against one of the greatest physically admirable women of all time. Katy Perry.

She'salso up against one of the greatest physically admirable women of all time. Katy Perry.

Katy Perry is attractive when she's not working so hard at being an obnoxious attention whore. (Which seems to be about 90% of the time.)

So there will be no killing from me.

As far as the big current pop stars go, I'm comfortable throwing Katy Perry in the #1 spot. Sex on wheels, even if her music is awful.

Swift is cute, not gorgeous, and she looked a lot better with brown hair during a couple of her SNL sketches this past week. And has anyone mentioned how terrible of a host she was yet? I know she's really young and everything, but at least try to make cue card reading a little less obvious. Either way, her music is still pretty solid, and that I can respect. It's not something I actively seek out, but it passes the "won't turn it off" test. That's something.

As far as the big current pop stars go, I'm comfortable throwing Katy Perry in the #1 spot. Sex on wheels, even if her music is awful.

Swift is cute, not gorgeous, and she looked a lot better with brown hair during a couple of her SNL sketches this past week. And has anyone mentioned how terrible of a host she was yet? I know she's really young and everything, but at least try to make cue card reading a little less obvious. Either way, her music is still pretty solid, and that I can respect. It's not something I actively seek out, but it passes the "won't turn it off" test. That's something.

The Kate Gosselin on The View skit was not only cringe-worthy, but also the first skit of the night? Really?

That prompted the obvious "SNL used to be so much better" discussion from my parents, which I quickly tried to disprove. There are high points and there are low points in the series' history, sure, but there has never been a perfect episode, let alone a perfect season... that's just how sketch comedy works. Hell, I'd stack last season up with some of the better ones I could think of, definitely the best that this decade has produced.

Alas, Swift is a cutie.

It had a few nice moments. The Bunny Business thing was hilarious, as was the TWYLYTE parody. Scared Straight is always good. But yeah, that View sketch was killing me. And not with laughs. With sadness.

I dug both her songs though.

Foo Fighters part of that post-grunge category that has spawned bands such as Live, Goo, Gin Blossoms:heart:, Nickelback, Creed, Seether, Staind, Puddle of Mudd? Maybe? Or is that label worn out?

Um, both Live and Gin Blossoms were formed and released albums before grunge was even a term used in music...

I don't remember GB's first release but Live had a pretty decent following with Mental Jewelry, to call them "post-grunge" doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom