Unpopular music opinions take II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the writing is outstanding, but outside of a handful of highlights, on a song-for-song basis it doesnt stack up well against other double albums and lacks the consistency of other Floyd efforts.

I can see that point. There are several tracks on the album that are present solely for the purpose of advancing and/or clarifying the plot, which if I remember correctly did not sit at all well with Gilmour. Those tracks, I think, make the album more thematically coherent but also less musically consistent than Quadrophenia, which I see as a very similar album.

What has always astounded me about The Wall is its ability to sustain such a profound mood over the course of a full double album. The opening trio of the second act is as forlorn as anything that I have ever heard.

Laz, I'm glad to have read that post, because I was beginning to think you just flat out hated the album, which would make me sad, but instead you have an informed opinion. Damn.

There's a hole in my heart that can oooooooooooonly be filled by yooooooooooooooou!

Great harmonies on that one.

I had it on cassingle!

thanks for posting that scumbo (i feel weird calling you that), i kept thinking of that song - and his version specifically every time the song was mentioned.

I like the song Whole Hearted by Extreme.
it is a good song. i've seen the video on a daily basis for the past couple weeks (music tv here picks up on a song sometimes and will play it several times a day - old stuff, that is).

no, cuz you see he's got a whole in his...uh well...
eng99.gif

I'm a big Floyd fan, but The Wall, for me, is more of an experience than an album I want to listen to often. And I'd argue that the film does more to wholly deliver Waters' vision than the music itself. I think the writing is outstanding, but outside of a handful of highlights, on a song-for-song basis it doesnt stack up well against other double albums and lacks the consistency of other Floyd efforts.
:up:
There are several tracks on the album that are present solely for the purpose of advancing and/or clarifying the plot

which is why i rate the albums i've heard

Dark Side
WYWH
Animals
Meddle
The Wall.

also, Quadrophenia is just so much better than The Wall that it's gone from not being funny back to being funny again. that's not an unpopular opinion round here, but it needs to be said as often as possible.

Quadrophenia is my my all time top five. The Real Me, Quadrophenia, The Punk and the Godfather, 5:15, Sea and Sand, Bell Boy, Doctor Jimmy and Love Reign O'er Me are all 10s in my book.

Quadrophenia is in some way responsible for me passing my driver's license test... i listened to the album before i went for it, which had the double effect of making me less nervous before the test because i was rocking out, and also pumped me up so i was more confident. blasted 5:15 when i got home :D

I had a lot of them. The Lightning Seeds, Roachford's "Cuddly Toy" (does anyone else but me remember that song?) ... those are the only two I can remember off the top of my head.

Oh, and Whitney Houston's national anthem from the Superbowl. :lol:

Quadrophenia is my my all time top five.

Quadrophenia places in my top three. Doctor Jimmy - The Rock - Love Reign O'er Me is as emotional a trio of songs as one is likely ever to hear.

As for Floyd, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals alternate in the top spot for me. I have a very difficult time choosing between them. Meddle and The Wall place in the second tier. The Final Cut is also a brilliant album. It is exceedingly dense, but also one of the more intelligent and articulate albums that I have ever heard. I'm also a fan of The Division Bell, which usually does not receive a terrible amount of appreciation.

I think The Division Bell gets a lot of respect from hardcore Floyd fans. I need to give it a relisten. I remember enjoying A Momentart Lapse of Reason when it came out, but I realize it isn't that great. And I never liked Learning to Fly. Or the Tom Petty song of the same name, though I don't care for much of his stuff anyway.

"The Dogs of War" could be one of the most bafflingly terrible songs in any great band's catalogue. At least "Wild Honey Pie" is less than 2 minutes long.

I've long thought that the worst song by a great band is The Who's "You Better You Bet." Yet they have still insisted on playing it at nearly every concert and including it on every compilation since it was released.

Looks as though we're of divided opinion here. I actually rather like "The Crunge." Now that I think about it, I do not think that Led Zeppelin ever produced a "bad" song. "Candy Store Rock" is probably as close as they got.

Quadrophenia places in my top three. Doctor Jimmy - The Rock - Love Reign O'er Me is as emotional a trio of songs as one is likely ever to hear.

As for Floyd, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals alternate in the top spot for me. I have a very difficult time choosing between them. Meddle and The Wall place in the second tier. The Final Cut is also a brilliant album. It is exceedingly dense, but also one of the more intelligent and articulate albums that I have ever heard. I'm also a fan of The Division Bell, which usually does not receive a terrible amount of appreciation.
The Rock has always annoyed me, because it's just a rehash of the previous 60 minutes and inferior to Quadrophenia (though i understand that's the whole point, Jimmy's life flashing before his eyes). i'll tell you one thing, the movie was a huge disappointment for me.

my Meddle looks like this: One of These Days > A Pillow of Winds > Fearless > Echoes. it's as close to perfection as i've found on a record.

I love San Tropez. Seamus is a goofy little ditty but it's certainly not annoying on the level of Wild Honey Pie or something.

Those first three tracks are something else, though. I can't think of another one of their albums that opens that strongly.

There was a group of us in college that would sit in one guy's dorm room and just listen to that album in its entirety fairly often, without anyone making a sound. Most of us were usually high.

I've long thought that the worst song by a great band is The Who's "You Better You Bet." Yet they have still insisted on playing it at nearly every concert and including it on every compilation since it was released.

I'd be less ashamed to admit liking this song if it weren't for the fact that it's a song by The Who.

I love San Tropez. Seamus is a goofy little ditty but it's certainly not annoying on the level of Wild Honey Pie or something.

Those first three tracks are something else, though. I can't think of another one of their albums that opens that strongly.

There was a group of us in college that would sit in one guy's dorm room and just listen to that album in its entirety fairly often, without anyone making a sound. Most of us were usually high.

Meddle's transcendent. I should give it another spin sometime soon.

Jet are a pretty average band, but I don't think they deserve the kind of derision they get in some quarters.

And Are You Gonna Be My Girl is IMO a fantastic song.

Do they thank Iggy Pop for that track daily or just weekly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom