Unpopular music opinions take II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will give him the ridiculousness of the idea of "guitars flashing like switchblades," but the song is still great.

Take her away!

darth_vader_sith_lords_4.jpg

that's not such a bad opinion... i can understand someone disliking those huge, long, ethereal, everything-and-the-kitchen-sink type songs. really it's no different to someone disliking The End by The Doors (don't flame me, a LOT of people love that song, and it too is huge and long). i certainly don't agree though, Jungleland is a masterpiece.

my unpopular 'Steen opinion is to side with laz... Born in the USA is hugely overrated. i love Born to Run, but i can't listen to USA start to end. most of the songs make me cringe. only just saved by the title track, I'm on Fire and Dancing in the Dark.

In spite of the awfulness of the beginning of the second half of Born in the U.S.A., the other songs still make it my favorite 'Steen album.

And it's not that I dislike Jungleland, but it's just SO beloved, and that baffles me

1 minute. Not bad.
Apparently I have my own batsignal now.

Interesting. I think No Surrender is one of the better cuts from the album.

The acoustic version from the live box is superior though.

No Surrender has suffered for me in the last few years thanks to that damn awful episode of Cold Case. The last time I listened to the album though, I caught myself humming along, so, I'm getting over it. The only song on the album I flat out don't like is "Bobby Jean"

No Surrender is one of my favorite Bruce songs. Got a lot of nice memories associated with that track.

Nah, actually my dad is a huge Bruce fan, and my sneaking into his vinyl collection and borrowing Bruce records (among other records) was one of the big moments in my formative years. I found out not long after that No Surrender was one of his favorite songs.

Lancemc said:
Nah, actually my mom is a huge Bondage fan, and my sneaking into her vinyl collection and borrowing Bondage outfits (among other toys) was one of the big moments in my formative years. I found out not long after that Ramrod was one of her favorite songs.

Fixed.

I like the lyrical sentiment of My Hometown, and think it's a fitting closer but, yeah, it's not anything I'm ever dying to hear out of context.

I can listen to a few Bruce Springsteen songs and then I just get bored with him. Same with Pearl Jam.

watch out for GAF... that he hasn't posted in a few hours suggests to me he's already on a flight over here to kill you with a glorified version of a pellet gun.

Got room for another double album better than The Wall?

Being There, from VWilcock (The Band). Perhaps the least pretentious two-fer I've heard. While the lyrics may not be very impressive, there's not a bum track on the whole thing, which is quite an achievement itself. A perfect tour of American music, with a few hints to the band's more dissonant experimentation to come.

Laz, are you suggesting that you do not like The Wall, or simply that it is overrated? I don't think that I have ever heard your general opinion on Floyd.

I'm a big Floyd fan, but The Wall, for me, is more of an experience than an album I want to listen to often. And I'd argue that the film does more to wholly deliver Waters' vision than the music itself. I think the writing is outstanding, but outside of a handful of highlights, on a song-for-song basis it doesnt stack up well against other double albums and lacks the consistency of other Floyd efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom