Unpopular music opinions take II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Narrow Stairs is Death Cab's best album. It's not perfect; the second half is a bit flat, but I Will Possess Your Heart is my favorite song by them, and Cath is gorgeous. All of their albums are pretty middling though, with only a handful of truly brilliant songs on each, but Narrow Stairs is a touch more ambitious and creative than much of their work. I would say the Photo Album is good, but Transatlanticism is bloated, derivative and slick (but, again, it's not without a handful of kickass tracks, The New Year and Expo 86 in particular).

Can't wait for their Best Of, whenever that comes out.

The only other album I've heard from the band is Plans, so I can't exactly say anything on the "best album" part of your comment, but still, with you on liking Narrow Stairs lots nonetheless :). It's an utterly depressing album, so it's not one I listen to on a regular basis for that simple reason, but it's got many great songs on it. "I Will Possess Your Heart" is "Psycho Killer" about 30 or so years later-the Talking Heads would be proud. I love the lyrics in "Cath", too. And then there's "Grapevine Fires", which just breaks my heart every time I hear it :sad:.

Angela

here's an unpopular opinion: awful band names will make me hesitant listen to a band. Death Cab for Cutie, Casiotone for the Painfully Alone (despite the fact i heard Killers once and enjoyed it), !!!, half the bands Pitchfork so shamelessly pump up...

Just catching up on the thread and all I can say is that The Trial is one of my top five songs on The Wall :madspit:

And, to continue, not only do I think The Wall is by far and away Floyd's best album, I think its the best double album I've ever heard (which isn't such a bold statement, considering its my fifth or sixth favorite album ever).

The female vocals on "Great Gig in the Sky" are one of the few things I really enjoy about Dark Side.

And...hmm....

Oh yeah, yes, Hayley Williams does seem to be a genuinely sweet and awesome person and I hope to God she puts out some decent solo material some time in the future.

How You Remind Me is the only Nickelback song I know well. A few years ago, before I really got into music, I loved it but now I've grown tired of it. I've listened to a few other songs on Youtube and now I just hate the lead singer's fake rawness. Nickelback act like a hardrock band but they just make pop songs. That's the annoying thing.

Double Albums Better Than The Wall:

The White Album
Physical Graffiti
Ummagumma
Quadrophenia
All Things Must Pass*

* triple album, but the point is the same

The White Album
Physical Graffiti
Ummagumma
Quadrophenia
All Things Must Pass*

Sign O The Times >>>> all of them, especially Ummagumma, which may be one of the worst albums I've ever heard.

Ditto this. That song knocked me out when I first heard it, and I still absolutely love it.

I'm still amazed that the band who wrote Soul Meets Body managed I Will Possess Your Heart. They usually write really ho-hum yet pretty indie pop, but then they come up with this weird kraut rock shit with a huge bass line, and all of a sudden they're one of my favorite bands, at least for all 8 minutes of that song. It's a shame that the album version isn't played on the radio (which reminds me of why MOS would inevitably be a weak single), but I was always alright with the single version. It's a catchy song no matter what.

Are you not familiar with their early material? I guess I'm surprised people who claim to know what Death Cab sound like would actually be surprised by I Will Possess Your Heart.

Nope, I'm only familiar with the last four albums, myself. If Something About Airplanes and We Have The Facts And We're Voting Yes sound anything like I Will Possess Your Heart, Death Cab For Cutie just made my list of things to do today.

Are you not familiar with their early material? I guess I'm surprised people who claim to know what Death Cab sound like would actually be surprised by I Will Possess Your Heart.

the-first-album-was-better.jpg

The White Album
Physical Graffiti
Ummagumma
Quadrophenia
All Things Must Pass*

Ummagumma is very nearly unlistenable to me, and that is coming from an enormous, enormous Pink Floyd fan. Technically, though, it is a single studio album with a live album companion. :nerd:I'm not sure if that counts as a double album. But I agree with you on Physical Graffiti, White Album, and Quadrophenia.

Here's an unpopular opinion: I don't like Bob Dylan. I'm bloody sick of hearing about his legacy and seeing everything that he does being lauded as a cultural triumph. Okay, he wrote "Blowin' in the Wind" and "Like a Rolling Stone" - but that was thirty-five bloody years ago. And there is something highly dubious about a musician for whom 95% of covers done are superior to the originals.

Okay, he wrote "Blowin' in the Wind" and "Like a Rolling Stone" - but that was thirty-five bloody years ago.

45 years, thank you. :wink: And he's written a handful more great tracks than just those two. Like 7 or 8 albums' worth.

Also, he released Time Out of Mind 13 years ago, so it's not as if he hasn't released a critically lauded record in decades.

I don't have the time to take anyone's opinion on music serious if they don't recognize Frank Zappa as the biggest genius in music since Brian Wilson made The Beatles look like mere amateurs around the time of Pet Sounds / Smile

Narrow Stairs is Death Cab's best album. It's not perfect; the second half is a bit flat, but I Will Possess Your Heart is my favorite song by them, and Cath is gorgeous. All of their albums are pretty middling though, with only a handful of truly brilliant songs on each, but Narrow Stairs is a touch more ambitious and creative than much of their work.

Imagine how much better it could have been if some of The Open Door cuts had been included instead.

I just really dislike Dylan's singing, I could never get into his music because of it.

The Wall is quite silly in places, but it's still my favourite Pink Floyd album. The Dark Side of the Moon on the other hand I could never really get into; it has some of my favourite Floyd songs but overall I easily prefer The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

I'm not a fan of The Black Eyed Peas, but I've decided that I quite like Fergie's vocals.

Though I think its because there is so much love for them that a benign, everyday dislike has manifested in to the dark room dwelling, hate mongering you see before you today

Though I think its because there is so much love for them that a benign, everyday dislike has manifested in to the dark room dwelling, hate mongering you see before you today

I can understand that. I think that much of my dislike for Mr. Zimmerman comes from the fact that he can never fulfill the expectations that his legacy demands. No matter how strong an album like Highway 61 actually is, it will never be as strong as its reputation suggests, I think. Therefore, I will always be disappointed with him.

I'm a simple person with a tiny brain and so, for me, it boils down to the fact that I just do not like his voice. Tough, at least for me, to enjoy music when the voice singing the song sounds like a nightmare to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom