Unpopular music opinions take II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Swift is cute, not gorgeous, and she looked a lot better with brown hair during a couple of her SNL sketches this past week. And has anyone mentioned how terrible of a host she was yet? I know she's really young and everything, but at least try to make cue card reading a little less obvious. Either way, her music is still pretty solid, and that I can respect. It's not something I actively seek out, but it passes the "won't turn it off" test. That's something.

Pretty much. I would argue, however, that Fearless has way stronger hooks than any unabashed pop album I've heard in a long while. Like always, it tails off in the second half, but the album serves its purpose.

Purpose of Katy Perry's albums = front cover/sleeve

Um, both Live and Gin Blossoms were formed and released albums before grunge was even a term used in music...

I don't remember GB's first release but Live had a pretty decent following with Mental Jewelry, to call them "post-grunge" doesn't make sense.

Ah yes, but Mental Jewellery has a starkly different mood and sound (almost funky in places) compared with Throwing Copper and Secret Samadhi. Live might have been jumping on a bandwagon of sorts perhaps with the brilliant Throwing Copper? Who knows?

Anyway, the post-grunge (possibly a meaningless term) label is attributed to bands, as opposed to it being something inherent within a band's music. I often get the sense that post-grunge is just used to describe American rock bands who emerged or became popular post-94, so post-grunge might be purely a chronolgical thing, as opposed to anything musically technical.

i like HTDAAB.

And ATYCLB. :wink:

Though on both albums there's songs I wouldn't have minded if they'd never seen the light.

Could probably add ABOY here, since I really really like that tune.

And there's only one Katy Perry song I like. The Rock mix of I Kissed a Girl. It's pretty damn decent. :up:

I don't think I can name more than 1 song that's in the current charts.

I love Sonic Youth but can't see why Daydream Nation is so highly regarded.

Which record is your favorite, then? I mean, because if it's not Daydream Nation, that's already an unpopular opinion, you know? I'm curious. Again, I'm siding with Washing Machine, which I like all right but don't at all love.

A good point re: SY. It's one of their (mostly) undisputed classics, no? It's certainly viewed as more substantial than the big major label debut (Goo) and its follow-up (Dirty). Washing Machine is part of the "return to form" that began with Experimental Jet Set, but I listen to the latter more.

Which record is your favorite, then? I mean, because if it's not Daydream Nation, that's already an unpopular opinion, you know? I'm curious.

I'd probably say Goo, followed by Rather Ripped and Confusion is Sex. I don't have their full catalogue, only seven albums (used to be eight but I simply could not get into Dirty apart from Drunken Butterfly).

Funny, I was just looking through the P-Fork reviews for SY, and in the one from Daydream Nation I found this:

"I don't expect to hear too many complaints about the rating above. Daydream Nation is a great uniter: You'd be hard pressed to find many fans of indie rock who don't have some love for this record. That's partly because this record is great, sure-- that's one boring reason-- but it's also because this record is one of a handful that helped shape the notion of what American indie rock can potentially mean. It's almost a tautology: Indie fans love Daydream Nation because loving stuff like Daydream Nation is part of how we define what indie fans are."

Heh. So there's the litmus test.

Care to repeat that?

darth_vader_ipod.jpg

Um, both Live and Gin Blossoms were formed and released albums before grunge was even a term used in music...

I don't remember GB's first release but Live had a pretty decent following with Mental Jewelry, to call them "post-grunge" doesn't make sense.

Gin Blossoms were what we called "Desert Rock" or "jangley guitar music" - but not Grunge by any stretch of the imagination.

Unpopular opinion: Radiohead and Muse are both whiney.

"I don't expect to hear too many complaints about the rating above. Daydream Nation is a great uniter: You'd be hard pressed to find many fans of indie rock who don't have some love for this record. That's partly because this record is great, sure-- that's one boring reason-- but it's also because this record is one of a handful that helped shape the notion of what American indie rock can potentially mean. It's almost a tautology: Indie fans love Daydream Nation because loving stuff like Daydream Nation is part of how we define what indie fans are."

Elitist, but appropriately so. :lol: Daydream Nation continues to grow on me as I grow increasingly tolerant of Kim Gordon's vocals. Teen Age Riot, Cross The Breeze, Total Trash, and Candle are all kinds of great.

I still enjoy Rather Ripped more though. That's my unpopular musical opinion.

I still enjoy Rather Ripped more though. That's my unpopular musical opinion.

Well it's definitely a more accessible album. See which one you prefer in a few more years.

I just "acquired" A Thousand Leaves as a critic whose opinion I value called it their masterpiece. Will report back later.

i hate to, uh, 'derail' the current topic to focus on an old favourite, but i'd like to say that Kid A (the song) is now firmly ensconced in my top ten.

i've also convinced a friend (and almost myself!) that no surprises is about a former world heavyweight boxing champion who is fading away. take a look at the lyrics - it actually works, almost.

I much prefer Kim Gordon's vocals to Thurston Moore's generic alternative voice. I don't know how unpopular this opinion is, but it seems that even big Sonic Youth fans often criticise her (non-)singing.
I also prefer Gordon's vocals. She's intense, raw, and often heartbreaking, while Thurston is, as you say, generic alt.

Dirty is my favourite Sonic Youth album, with A Thousand Leaves not far behind.

As for songs, JC is the best thing they've ever done:

YouTube - Sonic Youth JC

Yeah.

don't know if this counts, and i didn't want to just start a thread, but my god.

i HATE lighting crashes. almost threw a hand-held grinder into the radio at work when it came on yesterday.

I still really love Throwing Copper ... except for Lightning Crashes, which I loathe.

No song should ever contain a line about placentas falling to the floor.

Did you know people eat that shit?

Theres a video on youtube. I can post it. Yea or Nay?

Edit: its actually making me feel sick. look it up yourself if you're so inclined. It looks like pate

Yeah, I've heard of that.

Not what floats my boat, but hey, I hear it's chock full o' nutrients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom