University Exchange Programs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

For Honor

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Hello, hello .... ....(Hola?)

hahahahah.

Yes, it is me, FH, and I am really thinking about this......

I am considering an overseas exchange program somewhere, but I don't know much about such a thing. I know the first real step will be looking at my university (SUNY Geneseo) and figuring out what they have to offer.

But other than that, any experiences or advice, or even recomendations for exchange programs would be great. Like I said, I really do not know a great deal about it, but I think I'm getting more and more interested the more I think about it.

Just thought I'd start a post about it, even if it is..... rather vague. Thanks for your thoughts :)

I was an exchange student in high school, I'm from the UK and I studied in the US for a year. I have nothing but good things to say about exchange programmes from my own experience. Living in another country for a time gives you an opportunity to understand the country much more than if you were just visiting for a week or two on vacation and experiencing ordinary day-to-day life in a country gives you far more insight into the country than just travelling there could do. I think it's also beneficial in that it can teach you to be more flexible and willing to try new experiences as well as more confident in different situations.

I don't know where you're considering studying, but if you were going to come to the UK then here's a word of warning: University education in the UK is completely different to what you'll have experienced in the US. My university advises exchange students that studying in a UK university is almost like a preview of graduate school for US students. In the UK universities are focused on independent learning, you'll have only a few hours of lectures a week and you're provided with a reading list from which you're expected to select and consult the works you think are most relevant to the subject. You'll probably write one or two essays (usually between 2,000 and 4,000 words each) per term and sit an examination at the end of term. "Pop quizzes" or "tests" are almost unheard of so your whole grade will depend on essays and an examination. And you should also remember that grading tends to be harsher than in the US - a mark of 70% qualifies for a first (the highest class of degree) and in most universities fewer than 10% of students will receive a first class degree. Studying at a UK university is a fantastic experience, but it's wise to be prepared for how different the education system is so you don't end up completely overwhelmed and thinking that if you get 65% for an assignment you've failed when in fact 65% is a fairly respectable mark.

Anyway -- I highly recommend exchange programmes and I think if you do have the opportunity to participate in one then it's a worthwhile and enjoyable experience. And I hope I haven't put you off studying in the UK, lol. :)

I am considering the UK

Thanks for your input....... yeah, I've always liked other cultures, etc, and I think I would like studying abroad a lot... but it is a thought process that has only just begun, really.

I can only imagine what the future holds. One thing at a time, though. I need to remember that :)

Back
Top Bottom