Universal Songs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
I've had this discussion with some of my friends and I'll try my hardest to explain in here.

I think there are a lot of different types of songs. Some that tell stories, some that tell about a moment in life, some talk about break ups, politics, sex, some that make you laugh, dance, etc. But then there are those that can speak to everyone at anytime in there life.

'One' by U2 I think is one of those great "Universal Songs" no matter if they like U2 anyone can take something out of that song.

What do you think are some other great "universal songs".

An obvious one would probably be:

'Everybody Hurts' by REM

I'm going to be thinking of more songs, very interesting topic :up:

More:

'All You Need is Love' by The Beatles
'Wish You Were Here' by Pink Floyd
'Somebody' by Depeche Mode

Last edited:
Hunters & Collectors - Throw Your Arms Around Me
(75% of their catalogue would sort of fit the description of this thread I guess)

It really is a pity too many people outside certain parts of Europe and Australia are not familiar at least with this song Salome. Any Americans reading, please, go and download this song. Listen to it twice and then write what you think.

By My Side and Never Tear Us Apart by INXS.

The Boxer, or maybe The Sound of Silence - Simon and Garfunkel
Clocks - Coldplay
Hey Ya - Outkast (This song seemed to appeal to everyone's desire to have a little fun)

AcrobatMan said:

any links for non-americans :wink:
well, look for Hunters & Collectors at just about any source where you can d/l mp3's and it should be about the only song of theirs that will pop up

Salome said:
Hunters & Collectors - Throw Your Arms Around Me
(75% of their catalogue would sort of fit the description of this thread I guess)

yes, yes, yes, yes!!!!!

For anyone in the world, who is not familiar with H&C, then download this song. In my opinion they SHIT all over INXS, Crowded House, Silverchair- they are truly one of the BEST Australian bands, ever and 'Throw your arms around me', is their gold medal winning song:wink:

definately the sound of silence
and what about 'I cant get no satisfaction', that riff is soo universal
teach your children- Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
smells like teen spirit- spoke to a whole generation that song
dont dream its over- Crowded House
give peace a chance- John Lennon
respect- aretha franklin

Angela Harlem said:
It really is a pity too many people outside certain parts of Europe and Australia are not familiar at least with this song Salome.

I've heard of Hunters and Collectors...can't recall if I've heard that particular song, though, at this time.

Anywho...I'll agree with a lot of the songs mentioned here.

How about "Free Fallin'" by Tom Petty. I can't really think of too many people out there who don't like that song.

Angela

Download it Angela! Do it now! Everyone, please go and download it right away. OzA is right, I think...They are incredible. This IS one of the best songs ever written.

The Dance by Garth Brooks.
Even those who don't like country music are usually moved by this song.

Angela Harlem said:
*make sure you download the studio version. If you do download it.
there are 2 studio versions it seems :hmm:

but chances that you'll find the right one the first try is immense

everyone should indeed download Throw Your Arms Around Me though
(and Holy Grail, True Tears of Joy and The Way You Live also really)

I'm going to check into that Hunters and Collectors song also. I've heard all of you talk about them around here enough, I'm sure it has to be great. :up:

If the version you get doesn't have this slow knocking echoey kind of noise you have the wrong one lol. There's actually about 28 version of this bloody song and I'm pretty sure it is the longer one.

If anyone uses slsk, steal it off me.
username is: everythingzen but msg me first cos I only allow people on my list to dl :wink:

Angela Harlem said:
If the version you get doesn't have this slow knocking echoey kind of noise you have the wrong one lol. There's actually about 28 version of this bloody song and I'm pretty sure it is the longer one.

If anyone uses slsk, steal it off me.
username is: everythingzen but msg me first cos I only allow people on my list to dl :wink:

You've been added. I'm U2AFI.

Anyone know how exactly long the 'good version' is? I could try to find it that way.

Salome said:
4 minutes and 7 seconds

Thanks for the help Salome, I'll let you all know what I think after a few listens.

HeartlandGirl, you can count on getting it from me :up:
Edit: (that sounded far worse/better than I intended....)

Last edited:
Best Hunters song (after TYAAM) is- Talking to a stranger. I have the 'Under one roof' cd where they did a gig at the Coogee Bay Hotel and the version of this is just awesome....

I think this should turn into a Hunters and Collectors appreciation thread:wink:

and just how hot was Mark Seymour?????:wink:

Back
Top Bottom