Underrated Bands/Musicians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lucy Kaplansky: a very talented singer-songwriter in the vein of the also-underrated Dar Williams and in the larger tradition of Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, etc. Formerly of the neo-folk-supergroup Cry Cry Cry (with Dar Williams and Richard Shindell). She's lovely live. :)

a few bands that were popular in the early to mid 90's when they put out some so-so music, and now no longer popular and they are putting out incredible music is:

Nada Surf
Remy Zero
Spacehog

The Frames get no lovin' in the US
Lucinda Williams (although she's huge within her genre)
Neil Finn/Crowded House

I used to see her in NYC all the time in the mid-80s--she was everybody's opening act. It's about time she got some lovin'.

There's this Irish punk rock band called U2 that I thought never got the credit or attention it deserved...

meegannie said:
Elbow
The Delgados
Super Furry Animals
Haven
Elbow
Elbow
Elbow
Elbow

Elbow kick ass, but...

Super Furry Animals
Super Furry Animals
Super Furry Animals
Super Furry Animals
Super Furry Animals
etc.

:wink:

I'm sure someone already posted it, but I'll add Interpol to my list. Their album "Turn On The Bright Lights" is a must have for anyone that likes Joy Division, The Cure, The Smiths, and any other 80's influenced acts. Plus they have, what I consider to be, the best song title of the year: "Stella Was A Diver And She Was Always Down." :lmao: Now that Im thinkiiiiiiiing, here's some more bands:

Interpol
ON
The Twilight Singers
Brendan Benson
Nikka Costa
The Push Stars
Blonde Redhead
And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
At The Drive In/Mars Volta

HeadsOnSticks said:
I'm sure someone already posted it, but I'll add Interpol to my list. Their album "Turn On The Bright Lights" is a must have for anyone that likes Joy Division, The Cure, The Smiths, and any other 80's influenced acts. Plus they have, what I consider to be, the best song title of the year: "Stella Was A Diver And She Was Always Down." :lmao: Now that Im thinkiiiiiiiing, here's some more bands:

Interpol
ON
The Twilight Singers
Brendan Benson
Nikka Costa
The Push Stars
Blonde Redhead
And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
At The Drive In/Mars Volta

I LOVE the Smiths and I like the Cure and Joy Division, but I don't like Interpol. His voice just doesn't do it for me. Ah well....

Anyway, Mars Volta, Brendan Benson and The Push Stars are all awesome.

Well, at least you gave `em a listen. :up:

His voice IS kinda nasally, but I think when you're in the right mood it's cool. AND dead sexy. LOL.

George Michael gets so little respect for his singing, songwriting and playing. "Listen Without Prejudice" is breatlessly amazing, as are tracks on his other albums, but he's mainly known for scandal or being cheesy '80s.

Anybody mentioned the Urban Dance Squad yet? No? Then I'll do it. :)

The Squad were a great rock band, one of the first to make a truly innovative and combusting blend of rap and rock. They came to the scene together with Living Colour (another underrated band) at the end of the Eighties and while they inspired the good (RATM) and not-so-good (Limp Bizkit :yuck: ) they never got the credit and success they deserved. Sadly they broke up in 2000.

Oh yertle, I don't think Kylie is that underrated. I mean, even Dave Grohl likes her. :) Kylie's cool! :up:

nanana nana nana na

Marty

Popmartijn said:
Anybody mentioned the Urban Dance Squad yet? No? Then I'll do it. :)

The Squad were a great rock band, one of the first to make a truly innovative and combusting blend of rap and rock. They came to the scene together with Living Colour (another underrated band) at the end of the Eighties and while they inspired the good (RATM) and not-so-good (Limp Bizkit :yuck: ) they never got the credit and success they deserved. Sadly they broke up in 2000.

Oh yertle, I don't think Kylie is that underrated. I mean, even Dave Grohl likes her. :) Kylie's cool! :up:

nanana nana nana na

Marty

Did they sing "Deeper Shade of Soul????"

And for the record, Dave Grohl DOESN'T like Kylie. He likes her ASS.

Last edited:
HeadsOnSticks said:
Well, at least you gave `em a listen. :up:

His voice IS kinda nasally, but I think when you're in the right mood it's cool. AND dead sexy. LOL.

And it's strange cause I love 2 unique voices (Morrissey and Michael Stipe) that many people can't stand. I may give Interpol another try, I only listened to parts of three songs.

And Headsonsticks and anyone else with good music taste (paxetaurora) - If you haven't given the Pernice Brothers a try yet. You must! I don't know if you like the Jayhawks or Wilco, but it has a similar core sound only with other hard to describe great qualities. Some songs almost evoke a touch of the Smiths. They are great.

Last edited:
Yeah, definitely Rufus Wainwright. Sooooooo underloved. He's like a flamier Elton John. I liked his first (self-titled) album best.

Of course, his song on the Big Daddy soundtrack, "Instant Pleasure," is one of my all-time favorites:

I don't want somebody to love me
just give me sex whenever I want it

It's a hilarious, swaggering song.

P.S. to womanfish--thanks for the compliment! :wave:

Back
Top Bottom