Underground band recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neenie

War Child
Hello

After making a statement of only liking U2 in another thread, there were some replies and I didn’t have time today to reply in that thread, and it looks long now so I made a new one instead if that’s ok :) I agree with the posts made, it was just a mood I was in at the time I’m sorry:sad: I agree and know it’s good to have a wider interest in music.

I grew up listening to good ausie bands such as Cold chisel, Midnight oil, Inxs, Skyhooks, Noiseworks and New Zealand band Split Enz. But since then those bands have disappeared, and I have only found myself being a snob and listening to only U2 (I know :wink:). Music has changed a lot in the last 20 years and I don’t like most of the new stuff on the radio. I’ve tried to get in into coldplay and the more heavy stuff like greenday, but it doesn’t appeal to me much as much as the previous bands or U2. I’ve just turned into a massive U2 freak hehe and I need to broaden my music taste.

I’m wondering if any of you guys can help me out with getting to know some “Newer bands” that aren’t played much on mainstream radio, stuff I haven’t heard. There has got to be some out there that I like. I just don’t know them yet. I am prepared to give new music try. I’m looking for a snow patrol sound, my favorite song of theirs is“how to be dead” from their latest album. I gave them a listen since their going to be support act and all :wink:

Check out this canadian band Pilate. They're absolutely incredible. I think they're coming to Melbourne sometime in april. Be sure to check them out if you can, they're amazing live too.

Their Cd "Caught by the Window" was just released in Austraila last week....BUY IT NOW

They're heavily influenced by U2/Coldplay/Travis/Radiohead, those kinda bands, and they have an incredible sound.

If you like Snow Patrol you'll probably like Keane, The Kaiser Chiefs, The Futureheads, Franz Ferdinand etc.

Moby, Garbage, KT Tunstall, Mylo, Basement Jaxx, New Order, Daft Punk, Stereophonics are all really huge here right now. That's a pretty eclectic list of bands so I'm sure you'll find something you like.

Right now, I prefer bands/ singers like Embrace, Travis, The Arcade Fire, Paul Weller, The Finn brothers, Thirteen Senses, Doves, Idlewild, Tori Amos, Bob Geldof, The Pogues..... I don't have the time to name down everyband that I like.

I find out a lot about new bands through the internet, it's not hard to find a good website with info and B&C can be a good reference point, there are some regulars here like Heartland Girl, Elvis Presley and popmofo who always have music news and seem to really know their stuff about music.

Hmm, well define "underground?" Do you mean bands that aren't on major labels?

It sounds like you're more into "indie" rock than you would be into punk and ska, which is mostly what I listen to. However,

You should check out the Liars (start with "They Threw Us All In a Trench and Stuck a Monument On Top"), they're a rockin band from NYC. Also, Chicago's Cheer-Accident are fantastic, and play everything from experimental to hard rocknroll. Oh, and also check out the World/Inferno Friendship Society. I used to the the station manager at a large indie radio station, so I could go on forever.....

and....
if you dig punk, check out the Tossers and The Unseen; if you like ska, check out Deal's Gone Bad.

i think i'm gonna see 'stars' when they drop by the city in a few weeks. tickets are kind of expensive though...

It should be good though.
The Exclaim tour, with Apostle of Hustle right?
lucky you :up:
i can't make their show when they come here :down:
i want a full report

Zoomerang96 said:
arcade fire, arcade fire, arcade fire

I really think more people here (uk & ireland) should listen to this band. I think the album is out now. :up:

bright eyes, rilo kiley two amazing bands ive come to love lately. the wallflowers (jakob dylan's band [yes, bob's son]) is incredible. elliot smith and dave matthews are other favorites. very good stuff :wink:

The Wallflowers :up:

I'm not sure how udnerground these band are, but I recommend Handsome Boy Modeling School, Azure Ray, Action Action, The Stills, Clinic, The Subways and Fischerspoon.

Thanks everyone!

I've downloaded a few songs of most artists you guys mentioned, only because I wanted to get a feel of what I like and don't like. I'll buy some CD's once I get some more money. Arcade fire seems to be my favorite at the moment. Pilate, Stereophonics,Keane, The Wallflowers all sound really good too. I've always liked New Order and have a few of their albums, The get ready album sounds a lot rockier than their 80's dance stuff like Blue Monday and Bizarre love triangle - one of my favorite songs.

As for Underground, I meant music that isn't played on the radio all the time (the unheard of bands) which you've mentioned. :)

Someone mentioned dave matthews, I have the Central Park Concert album but they don't seem to be my cup of tea. The only song I like off it Is two step.

Anyway, there’s some great music people mentioned and I’m getting some more songs and listening to them right now :up:

Neenie, if you like New Order you've already got great taste in music in my opinion!

If you like electronic music, you should check out Depeche Mode - their best of compilations or the albums Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion.

Also New Orders' predecessors Joy Division are worth checking out, although be warned that some of their stuff is fairly dark.

If you like '80s electronic music, check out the Pet Shop Boys, there are a number of good compilations available.

:)

Thank you finaceguy :) I'll check out Depeche Mode. Joy Division I don't know much of, I think they did that song "love will tear us apart" before they become New Order. Good old 80's:wink:

Neenie said:
Thank you finaceguy :) I'll check out Depeche Mode. Joy Division I don't know much of, I think they did that song "love will tear us apart" before they become New Order. Good old 80's:wink:

Yeah I think the 80's are under-rated. True, there was a lot of sh*t music produced then but also some good stuff. "Love will tear us apart" is indeed a Joy Division song. After Ian Curtis died tragically in 1980 the surviving members went on to become New Order, but I read somewhere that even if Curtis had lived they would still have gone down the electronic route funnily enough.

Back
Top Bottom