Uncooked food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This is a clip from a New York Times article about a new trend in people eating totally uncooked food. I would be willing to try - what do you think???

Cooked food has not passed Klein's lips in five years -- that means not only meat but also vegetarian staples like pasta, rice and beans, which are not tasty in their natural state. Since, like most raw-foodists, he is also vegan, he abstains from dairy and eggs. Even tofu is taboo, because the soybeans it is made from are cooked. ''I've never felt better,'' Klein says. He sleeps less, has more energy. He even eats less. Although he does a two-hour ashtanga yoga workout each morning, he subsists on about 800 calories a day, which most nutritionists would consider starvation level. (The recommended daily allowance for an active adult male is 2,900 calories.) Raw-foodists claim, however, that uncooked calories metabolize more efficiently -- although there is no evidence for this. When I suggest that vegans I've met often look sickly, he shrugs. ''What we perceive as healthy may to a certain extent be socially determined,'' he says. ''They may have been very healthy and just looked weird to you.'' Klein himself is gaunt, though his arms are enviably muscular.

ouizy said:
This is a clip from a New York Times article about a new trend in people eating totally uncooked food. I would be willing to try - what do you think???

Cooked food has not passed Klein's lips in five years -- that means not only meat but also vegetarian staples like pasta, rice and beans, which are not tasty in their natural state. Since, like most raw-foodists, he is also vegan, he abstains from dairy and eggs. Even tofu is taboo, because the soybeans it is made from are cooked. ''I've never felt better,'' Klein says. He sleeps less, has more energy. He even eats less. Although he does a two-hour ashtanga yoga workout each morning, he subsists on about 800 calories a day, which most nutritionists would consider starvation level. (The recommended daily allowance for an active adult male is 2,900 calories.) Raw-foodists claim, however, that uncooked calories metabolize more efficiently -- although there is no evidence for this. When I suggest that vegans I've met often look sickly, he shrugs. ''What we perceive as healthy may to a certain extent be socially determined,'' he says. ''They may have been very healthy and just looked weird to you.'' Klein himself is gaunt, though his arms are enviably muscular.

Calories are calories.

If you don't ingest more calories than you burn, you'll be fine.

Re: Re: Uncooked food

speedracer said:

Calories are calories.

If you don't ingest more calories than you burn, you'll be fine.

If you don't ingest more calories than you burn, you'll starve eventually.

Re: Re: Re: Uncooked food

Vorsprung said:

If you don't ingest more calories than you burn, you'll starve eventually.

By "burn" I mean "use up in exercise, body heat, bodily functions and bodily maintenance," not "use up in exercise."

You know what I'm talking about.

:yuck: EEW. :yuck: Sushi, oysters, raw fruit and veggies I can understand, but MEAT and uncooked pasta???

FREAK. :coocoo:

Sounds like someone who took what might have been a good theory and took it a little too far ....

i do remember 'cannibal sandwiches' from years ago...

Last edited:
lol poptarts

I dont even like my pasta aldente :silent:

_____
:uhoh: what kind of italian am I

I could dig it.

I've practically tried everything before... Eating food that follows Eastern philosophy concerning Yin/Yang, Hot/Cold... those stuff actually helps.

Although some of what Ouizy quoted sounds kinda weird,... I wouldn't be surprised if it worked.

Yechhhhhh...

Can't you get e-coli and other fun infections from eating uncooked meat??

:barf: :barf: :barf: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Re: Yechhhhhh...

senrab said:

:barf: :barf: :barf: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Yep...but I think the majority (if not all) of the people who do this abstain from meat...it's not my cup of tea though. Just give me a well-done hamburger.

Re: Yechhhhhh...

senrab said:

E. coli 0157:H7
Listeria monocytogenes
Campylobacter
Salmonella
Shigella

These are just the big ones.

Is this meant to be a weight-loss technique? Hmmm. I guess the constant diarrhea and vomiting brought on by one of these diseases would get the job done.

Seriously, why would someone do this? He seems to be proud of the fact that he lives on 800 calories a day. Why is that a good thing? Because he saves money on food?

I even detest sushi. My sister raves about it likes it God's own food and she took me to a sushi bar once...in the time it took me to eat nine pieces I had drank 4 or 5 tall glasses of water!

But she lived in taiwan for a couple years so maybe that explains things!
I DO love the word, WASABI, though

WASABI!!

I think people are misunderstanding. This guy doesn't eat raw meat or uncooked pasta. He eats stuff that doesn't need to be cooked/hasn't been cooked, like fruits, vegetables, etc.

HeartlandGirl said:
I think people are misunderstanding. This guy doesn't eat raw meat or uncooked pasta. He eats stuff that doesn't need to be cooked/hasn't been cooked, like fruits, vegetables, etc.

:yes: That was my understanding of the article. The wording is a bit unclear, but I think the article is saying that this person DOESN'T eat meat, pasta, rice, or beans.

There is a small community of raw food eaters here where I live. Most of them have serious life-threatening illnesses and their health has improved dramatically (some even cured completely) from eating a strict raw food diet. Not a vegan diet, mind you--but raw meat, fish and, yes, even chicken :yuck:. I put my cat on a raw food diet and she was cured of advanced kidney disease within a couple of months (the traditional vet had recommended euthanizing her, but the ol' gal wasn't ready to go yet!) so I kind of believe there is some merit to the raw food theory.

Here is a link to the raw people's website, fyi:

http://www.rawpaleodiet.org/

ouizy said:

When I suggest that vegans I've met often look sickly, he shrugs. ''What we perceive as healthy may to a certain extent be socially determined,'' he says. ''They may have been very healthy and just looked weird to you.'' Klein himself is gaunt, though his arms are enviably muscular.

Vegan Moby is one of the healthiest-looking people I've ever seen and has unbelievable energy onstage. He's pale, but that's New York chic. ;)

Then I must be very chic...

Sicy, aren't you Italian??? No al dente? Don't your people hate you for that???

you have said that before.

I think you have some kind of *thing* for eating brains.....

weird.

very weird.

You're calling ME weird.?

You just replied to every thread on the first page.

freak. :|

That is because I have so much time on my hands...

I am stil la bit miffed by the al ldente remark. Pasta is perfect al dente...

:mad:

I dont like hard pasta!!

Is that ok with you???

_____
:angry: Do you have super high speed internet service at work?

that is fine with me.

no - I have written a program to reply to all the threads in a certain forum.

yes - I have super duper high speed internet service at work.

I will tell you a funny story if you want to hear one...

I'll tell u a story, neither funny nor raw

..because of the drought, the price of good quality beef has dropped dramatically here....for now. So my boys are going carnivorous for a while, they'll love it. I don't eat it, I hate handling and cooking it ugh!!! the things you do.

I have been really getting my health back in line lately (smoking is the biggie I now realise...damn it!!!) Eating low-fat and fresh is the go, but not always convenient.
What I think I realise is maintaining regular exercise is the biggie for continung to feel fit. I have been slack this past week and don't feel near as a good. So the penny drops...after 40 years....no excuses:)

Raw?ROAR!!!!...it was funny to open the "Cover art" thread and see those buffalo when I had just packed all that steak in the freezer..ugh!!!

Salads are the go, but I would miss my curries and baked dinners and stir fries and the boys fave...Mexican!!! Nope, cooking is OK.imho
I didn't actually read the article to be honest, just wanted to confess to now realising I have to stop smoking to get healthier...damn damn damn:banghead: :scream: :macdevil: :laugh:
sorry ouizy and Sicy...Australian beef board ad,you would think. Now where were you? :coocoo:

Back
Top Bottom