Uncooked food - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-03-2002, 02:26 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
ouizy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: s p o r a t i c
Posts: 3,788
Local Time: 01:44 PM
Uncooked food

This is a clip from a New York Times article about a new trend in people eating totally uncooked food. I would be willing to try - what do you think???


Cooked food has not passed Klein's lips in five years -- that means not only meat but also vegetarian staples like pasta, rice and beans, which are not tasty in their natural state. Since, like most raw-foodists, he is also vegan, he abstains from dairy and eggs. Even tofu is taboo, because the soybeans it is made from are cooked. ''I've never felt better,'' Klein says. He sleeps less, has more energy. He even eats less. Although he does a two-hour ashtanga yoga workout each morning, he subsists on about 800 calories a day, which most nutritionists would consider starvation level. (The recommended daily allowance for an active adult male is 2,900 calories.) Raw-foodists claim, however, that uncooked calories metabolize more efficiently -- although there is no evidence for this. When I suggest that vegans I've met often look sickly, he shrugs. ''What we perceive as healthy may to a certain extent be socially determined,'' he says. ''They may have been very healthy and just looked weird to you.'' Klein himself is gaunt, though his arms are enviably muscular.
__________________

__________________
ouizy is offline  
Old 09-03-2002, 04:31 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 01:44 PM
Re: Uncooked food

Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy
This is a clip from a New York Times article about a new trend in people eating totally uncooked food. I would be willing to try - what do you think???


Cooked food has not passed Klein's lips in five years -- that means not only meat but also vegetarian staples like pasta, rice and beans, which are not tasty in their natural state. Since, like most raw-foodists, he is also vegan, he abstains from dairy and eggs. Even tofu is taboo, because the soybeans it is made from are cooked. ''I've never felt better,'' Klein says. He sleeps less, has more energy. He even eats less. Although he does a two-hour ashtanga yoga workout each morning, he subsists on about 800 calories a day, which most nutritionists would consider starvation level. (The recommended daily allowance for an active adult male is 2,900 calories.) Raw-foodists claim, however, that uncooked calories metabolize more efficiently -- although there is no evidence for this. When I suggest that vegans I've met often look sickly, he shrugs. ''What we perceive as healthy may to a certain extent be socially determined,'' he says. ''They may have been very healthy and just looked weird to you.'' Klein himself is gaunt, though his arms are enviably muscular.
Calories are calories.

If you don't ingest more calories than you burn, you'll be fine.
__________________

__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 09-03-2002, 04:36 PM   #3
War Child
 
Vorsprung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 976
Local Time: 07:44 PM
Re: Re: Uncooked food

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer


Calories are calories.

If you don't ingest more calories than you burn, you'll be fine.
If you don't ingest more calories than you burn, you'll starve eventually.
__________________
Vorsprung is offline  
Old 09-03-2002, 04:41 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 01:44 PM
Re: Re: Re: Uncooked food

Quote:
Originally posted by Vorsprung


If you don't ingest more calories than you burn, you'll starve eventually.
By "burn" I mean "use up in exercise, body heat, bodily functions and bodily maintenance," not "use up in exercise."

You know what I'm talking about.
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 09-03-2002, 08:25 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 01:44 PM
Normal i go no further than sushi and poptarts

__________________
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 09-03-2002, 10:45 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life
 
zonelistener's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: six convenient metro locations
Posts: 14,747
Local Time: 01:44 PM
What is this arrow pointing to?

I like my salad uncooked.
__________________
zonelistener is offline  
Old 09-03-2002, 11:53 PM   #7
Refugee
 
She Is Raging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Outside Boston
Posts: 1,729
Local Time: 02:44 PM



Raw pasta? Howsay teeth there?
__________________
She Is Raging is offline  
Old 09-04-2002, 12:05 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Discoteque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Hotter 'n' hell Texas: Dallas
Posts: 3,568
Local Time: 01:44 PM

EEW. Sushi, oysters, raw fruit and veggies I can understand, but MEAT and uncooked pasta???

FREAK.

Sounds like someone who took what might have been a good theory and took it a little too far ....



i do remember 'cannibal sandwiches' from years ago...
__________________
Discoteque is offline  
Old 09-04-2002, 12:41 AM   #9
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator
 
Sicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 69,297
Local Time: 10:44 AM
lol poptarts

I dont even like my pasta aldente


_____
what kind of italian am I
__________________
Sicy is offline  
Old 09-04-2002, 12:49 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
theSoulfulMofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,490
Local Time: 11:44 AM

I could dig it.

I've practically tried everything before... Eating food that follows Eastern philosophy concerning Yin/Yang, Hot/Cold... those stuff actually helps.

Although some of what Ouizy quoted sounds kinda weird,... I wouldn't be surprised if it worked.
__________________
theSoulfulMofo is offline  
Old 09-04-2002, 01:20 AM   #11
Refugee
 
senrab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,763
Local Time: 01:44 PM
Yechhhhhh...

Can't you get e-coli and other fun infections from eating uncooked meat??

__________________
senrab is offline  
Old 09-04-2002, 01:24 AM   #12
War Child
 
walkon11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: California, USA
Posts: 664
Local Time: 11:44 AM
Re: Yechhhhhh...

Quote:
Originally posted by senrab
Can't you get e-coli and other fun infections from eating uncooked meat??

Yep...but I think the majority (if not all) of the people who do this abstain from meat...it's not my cup of tea though. Just give me a well-done hamburger.
__________________
walkon11 is offline  
Old 09-04-2002, 09:47 AM   #13
War Child
 
Spiral_Staircase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Posts: 679
Local Time: 12:44 PM
Re: Yechhhhhh...

Quote:
Originally posted by senrab
Can't you get e-coli and other fun infections from eating uncooked meat??
E. coli 0157:H7
Listeria monocytogenes
Campylobacter
Salmonella
Shigella

These are just the big ones.

Is this meant to be a weight-loss technique? Hmmm. I guess the constant diarrhea and vomiting brought on by one of these diseases would get the job done.

Seriously, why would someone do this? He seems to be proud of the fact that he lives on 800 calories a day. Why is that a good thing? Because he saves money on food?
__________________
Spiral_Staircase is offline  
Old 09-04-2002, 12:45 PM   #14
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,016
Local Time: 07:44 PM
ah well, I wasn't planning to invite him over for dinner anyway
__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is online now  
Old 09-04-2002, 12:59 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Basstrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 10,726
Local Time: 04:14 PM
I even detest sushi. My sister raves about it likes it God's own food and she took me to a sushi bar once...in the time it took me to eat nine pieces I had drank 4 or 5 tall glasses of water!

But she lived in taiwan for a couple years so maybe that explains things!
I DO love the word, WASABI, though

WASABI!!
__________________

__________________
Basstrap is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com