Unalaska Superthread - Page 44 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #646
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:46 AM
*allows politics to whizz serenely overhead*

Old 03-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #647
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic
Exactly. I went to a hotel in Phuket, and was like "Dude, I'll carry my own freaking bag. I'm not retarded, thanks." I hate having stuff done for me. Especially when waiters come and put napkins on your lap / around your neck.
I can't say I've ever had a waiter do that for me! It'd really piss me off, because I don't use napkins at all in the first place. I find them irritating and rather useless.

Quote:
I've not seen any of those; there are Chinese classes at uni though, that might be it?
That's what I first thought, but you'd reasonably expect at least a few non-Asians to be learning Chinese too. I can't imagine a single perfectly open course that would fail to attract at least one non-Asian. I'm baffled. Maybe it's done as some kind of packaged international student thing? Speaking of that, do you know how organised things are for them? i.e. do they ever actually experience any Australian culture, or are they effectively living on their own exported patch of Japan/China/Malaysia/wherever?

Quote:
Think Andre Nel's case is bad? It's worse. The Malaysian Government recently lost 5 states at a major election. Up till then, they'd held 13 of the 14 states, and could alter the Constitution at will. It's the reason I'm here - my parents just couldn't take the bullshit any longer.
Oh yeah, I heard about those election results. Good news, but will it lead to any substantial change?

Quote:
I mean, if I'd gone to uni there, I'd've been allocated to a course regardless of my marks, unless I was one of the absolutely, absolutely brilliant. The ethnic Malays, on the other hand, get what courses they want, and inevitably get government-sponsored scholarships to study overseas.

Okay, I've gotta cool down. Malaysia and its politics gets me sooo angry sometimes. And I haven't even started on Singapore yet.
Wow, that's just seriously fucked. I can see why you're here. How long did you live in Malaysia? I think I remember you saying you were actually born in Britain ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-14-2008, 08:44 AM   #648
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura
Ax, you should have a YSI link in your email shortly....
So I do, thank you.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #649
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
So I do, thank you.
Watch out for the whistle making my brother twitch...
Old 03-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #650
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:46 PM
Although, Saddo, that being said, I also have a fascination with non-bladed, non-lethal weapons:

And of course the humble staff. I don't learn to use these all in wushu, but one can derive techniques for them based off existing techniques, and of course youtube.

I don't have all of these weapons either, iin case you were wondering. I just have the nunchaku (homemade) and staff.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #651
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Watch out for the whistle making my brother twitch...

Downloading now.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #652
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Alright, what is this and what does it do?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #653
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'm guessing it's kinda like those police batons they have in the UK? (and possibly here too)... held against the forearms or something...
Old 03-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #654
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
WOW, that's cool. I'm guessing Indian, South East Asian sorta weapon? It's pretty freaking huge too!
Greek. During Alexander the Great's conquests, it spread through the Middle East, eventually to India where weapons like the kora and kuhkuri developed out of it. And the kuhkuri is still in use today, making the kopis probably one of the most influential swords in history.

Some development here:

I wouldn't mind a kora or khopesh either, really.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #655
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I can't say I've ever had a waiter do that for me! It'd really piss me off, because I don't use napkins at all in the first place. I find them irritating and rather useless.
Well, I find most Asian waiters to be irritating and rather useless too!

Quote:

That's what I first thought, but you'd reasonably expect at least a few non-Asians to be learning Chinese too. I can't imagine a single perfectly open course that would fail to attract at least one non-Asian. I'm baffled. Maybe it's done as some kind of packaged international student thing? Speaking of that, do you know how organised things are for them? i.e. do they ever actually experience any Australian culture, or are they effectively living on their own exported patch of Japan/China/Malaysia/wherever?
My cousin's living with us - he's studying a foundation year at Trinity College. It's basically their exported patch of Asia, yeah. Although we have forced him to talk to people, eat Aussie food and stuff

It doesn't help that most of them live in student accommodation, which is again all Asians anyway.

Also, there are several levels of Chinese class, so I think it may have been an advanced class. Or a Trinity class - there were I think three white people in the whole intake that I saw.

Quote:

Oh yeah, I heard about those election results. Good news, but will it lead to any substantial change?
You know politics are in a sad state when the best I can say is: if nothing else, it'll show the people that the elections aren't as rigged as they thought them to be, and it'll show the government that they're not invulnerable like they have been for the past 40 years.

Quote:

Wow, that's just seriously fucked. I can see why you're here. How long did you live in Malaysia? I think I remember you saying you were actually born in Britain ...
I was born in Britain, left there age 2, lived in Malaysia until age 12, then moved here. Best decision of my family's life, moving here.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #656
Blue Crack Addict

Ooh, I love the tonfa. Here, Axxo:

Old 03-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #657
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonfa

It's a tonfa, I believe originally developed in Japan / China back in the early years (adapted from a farming / mining tool). You use it to hit people. You grab the short ends, swivel it out, protect your forearms, rotate it like a helicopter blade, the usual.

And Ali's right, it has been adapted for use by police forces in a lot of countries now as an alternative to the riot baton. Myself, I prefer the telescopic baton
Old 03-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #658
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk

Greek. During Alexander the Great's conquests, it spread through the Middle East, eventually to India where weapons like the kora and kuhkuri developed out of it. And the kuhkuri is still in use today, making the kopis probably one of the most influential swords in history.

Some development here:

I wouldn't mind a kora or khopesh either, really.
Ahh ok, a Greek weapon. Didn't expect that, to be honest.

And whoah, that kora is one scary sword.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #659
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I'm guessing it's kinda like those police batons they have in the UK? (and possibly here too)... held against the forearms or something...
Clearly my imagination isn't working tonight. I was looking at it and thinking "what the fuck is that meant to do? Look like some sort of wooden pistol you can point at someone and say 'bang, you're dead'?"

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #660
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Ahh ok, a Greek weapon. Didn't expect that, to be honest.

And whoah, that kora is one scary sword.
Yeah, a lot of people tend to be surprised that it's Greek. I guess they make a presumption that the Greeks were European, thus they had boring straight swords. Though they actually had a pretty cool variety of weapons, mainly due to influence from the Middle East, upper Balkans and the Steppes.

Another weapon I'm fond of is the Bagh Nakh.

It may suggest campy comic book characters and badly designed RPG enemies, but from a historical context, I find it very cool.

Tags
superthread