Unalaska Superthread - Page 43 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #631
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:22 AM
And Hi Bonnie!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #632
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

Yes!! I love the dad.
"Oh, I didn't think he had it in him!" *laughs*

Great, great acting.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #633
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by liamcool

You happen to kill any of them yet?
Always tempted to, always tempted to. People like that don't deserve to live. They'll end up pushing drugs or leeching off the public welfare system.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #634
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
YOU SAW THE OILS LIVE? :jealous: I'm so hooked on The Dead Heart at the moment.

I'm still not sure about this gig. I think tickets are around $35, and do I really want to pay that much to see a support band? I wish Jakob would just announce their own headlining gig!
$35 isn't a huge amount... to me at least How much do you like them?

And yeah, I got to see Peter Garrett "dancing"... Can't help thinking he might have been better off staying put.
My vague recollections tell me it was a good show
Loads of drunk 20- and 30-something guys belting out the words

I've only got their best-of...
Old 03-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #635
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by liamcool

Put it perfectly. I witnessed all of this in high school. Me and the girlfriend were two of the few non Asians in the school, and were constantly shocked at how spoilt these pricks were. I do like Asian people though, they're always funny, honest and very smart. I'm not that racist.

(yes, I did go to a selective high school. Your point on the different English scale is probably why I dealt with so many of the fuckers. )
You poor, poor person. Selective schooling does work though; it does force some of the Asians to actually see, and interact with, white people.

Wait, where'd you go to school again?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:29 AM   #636
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic

The swords are usually sheathed and carried in a bag on my back though, and the spear tip is covered. It's still pretty bloody obvious what they are.
Shiny....
Old 03-14-2008, 08:29 AM   #637
Vocal parasite

Quote:
It's because where they come from, they're the little kings and queens of the households, with everything pandering to them. You people think Australia's materialistic, you should go to Malaysia or Singapore.

Also, you know they have servants? They actually pay people to do things for them, like housework, cooking, looking after kids etc. and those servants ("maids" they call them) are expected to put up with crappy treatment, and do pretty much anything their employers say. And live with their employers so they work 24/7.

The kids are usually spoilt little brats because of it, and are generally afraid to adapt to new things unless they involve money or instant gratification for themselves.
... wow. I did have an inkling of this though. I noticed a number of student accommodation places pitched at international students - which seems to really just mean "Asians and maybe a few Indians and a token African" - emphasise on their websites that basically everything is done for you. You don't cook or clean or do any practical things at all, you don't even need to buy furniture, you just walk in, plug in your computer, and you're set.

Lazy pricks. Frankly, I like doing my own cooking, and a "maid" would just piss me off. I prefer to do things my way. Then, even if it's done poorly, at least I know where everything is and why it is the way it is!

Quote:
It's because the uni gets a shitload of money from them. They are, I've heard, marked on a slightly different scale in terms of English ability, and requirements are lower.
Really? I'd always wondered about that. Some that I've spoken to seem to have shockingly poor English, so I was wondering how the fuck they write their essays. I'm also curious as to whether anybody else can actually get into their courses, because I still can't believe it when I see a lecture theatre empty and there isn't a single non-Asian in sight. It just reeks of a closed course and I'm not comfortable with that.

Quote:
That being said, it isn't as bad as the situation in Malaysia, where if you're an ethnic Malay, you get a completely different and much more lenient marking system, preferential treatment in uni and employment, and you are practically given whatever you want at the cost of the other ethnic minorities living in the country.

I remember how one bloke got bumped off the national sailing team for another guy; the other guy was ranked 4 places below him, but was promoted cause he was an ethnic Malay.
Wow, that's just bullshit and stupid.

On a related note, see André Nel has gotten into a tiff with the South African cricket team because he got bumped from the Test squad so the quota of black Africans could be fulfilled?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-14-2008, 08:30 AM   #638
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:52 AM
Hiya Ali!

Quote:

The swords are usually sheathed and carried in a bag on my back though, and the spear tip is covered. It's still pretty bloody obvious what they are.
Ooh, nice. I was worried it was just going to be a boring katana/wakazashi/tanto. Those are pretty cool. What historical era is the first one from?

I want a kopis:

I have a kuhkuri, but it's just not the same.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #639
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Quote:

You poor, poor person. Selective schooling does work though; it does force some of the Asians to actually see, and interact with, white people.

Wait, where'd you go to school again?
I don't believe I've told you, actually.

Girraween High School, in Sydney's west.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:32 AM   #640
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

$35 isn't a huge amount... to me at least How much do you like them?

And yeah, I got to see Peter Garrett "dancing"... Can't help thinking he might have been better off staying put.
My vague recollections tell me it was a good show
Loads of drunk 20- and 30-something guys belting out the words

I've only got their best-of...
I think $35 is spectacularly cheap for a headliner, but I'm not so sure about paying just to see a short support set when I probably won't enjoy the headliner that much. In fact, since it's a Thursday gig, I'd probably have to leave early to get the last tram anyway. Bah, decisions, decisions.

Yeah, I feel for Peter Garrett, he must feel so constrained in his position right now. I wonder if he will ever go back to the Oils?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #641
Vocal parasite

Oh fuck, I've simply GOT to cross-post this from the current round of HTDAAB Survivor.

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
Studio version [of Yahweh] also sounds like a commercial "Take this shirt, and make it clean...with all-new Yahweh!"
TOO FUCKING FUNNY.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-14-2008, 08:36 AM   #642
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

... wow. I did have an inkling of this though. I noticed a number of student accommodation places pitched at international students - which seems to really just mean "Asians and maybe a few Indians and a token African" - emphasise on their websites that basically everything is done for you. You don't cook or clean or do any practical things at all, you don't even need to buy furniture, you just walk in, plug in your computer, and you're set.

Lazy pricks. Frankly, I like doing my own cooking, and a "maid" would just piss me off. I prefer to do things my way. Then, even if it's done poorly, at least I know where everything is and why it is the way it is!
Exactly. I went to a hotel in Phuket, and was like "Dude, I'll carry my own freaking bag. I'm not retarded, thanks." I hate having stuff done for me. Especially when waiters come and put napkins on your lap / around your neck.

Quote:

Really? I'd always wondered about that. Some that I've spoken to seem to have shockingly poor English, so I was wondering how the fuck they write their essays. I'm also curious as to whether anybody else can actually get into their courses, because I still can't believe it when I see a lecture theatre empty and there isn't a single non-Asian in sight. It just reeks of a closed course and I'm not comfortable with that.
I've not seen any of those; there are Chinese classes at uni though, that might be it?

Quote:

Wow, that's just bullshit and stupid.

On a related note, see André Nel has gotten into a tiff with the South African cricket team because he got bumped from the Test squad so the quota of black Africans could be fulfilled?
Think Andre Nel's case is bad? It's worse. The Malaysian Government recently lost 5 states at a major election. Up till then, they'd held 13 of the 14 states, and could alter the Constitution at will. It's the reason I'm here - my parents just couldn't take the bullshit any longer.

I mean, if I'd gone to uni there, I'd've been allocated to a course regardless of my marks, unless I was one of the absolutely, absolutely brilliant. The ethnic Malays, on the other hand, get what courses they want, and inevitably get government-sponsored scholarships to study overseas.

Okay, I've gotta cool down. Malaysia and its politics gets me sooo angry sometimes. And I haven't even started on Singapore yet.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:36 AM   #643
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
"Oh, I didn't think he had it in him!" *laughs*

Great, great acting.

(edits)
"You know it wasn't his idea"....
Old 03-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #644
Blue Crack Supplier

Ax, you should have a YSI link in your email shortly....
Old 03-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #645
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk

Ooh, nice. I was worried it was just going to be a boring katana/wakazashi/tanto. Those are pretty cool. What historical era is the first one from?
Katana/wakazashi/tanto are too cliched. Besides, they're Japanese - my martial art is Chinese! Although, I have been looking into using a tanto on its own - I've gotta learn me some good knife skills.

I'm not sure about the jian to be honest - the Chinese have been using the jian for as long as history, it seems, with only slight variations in the hilt and blade sizes varying. Mine's just a training blade, looks like that but it's plain metal all the way through.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk

I want a kopis:

I have a kuhkuri, but it's just not the same.
WOW, that's cool. I'm guessing Indian, South East Asian sorta weapon? It's pretty freaking huge too!

Tags
superthread