Unalaska Superthread - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #331
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:24 PM
And, OMG, this is excellent stuff:

Stingray with Asam Boi Sauce

Serves : 4

Ingredients :

1kg stingray (cut into bite-sized pieces)
5 turmeric leaves
2 tablespoons turmeric powder

Ground
5 shallots
4 cloves garlic

1 teaspoon tamarind juice
2 teaspoons black pepper
a little ghee
sugar, salt to taste

Ingredients for asam boi :

30g asam boi/preserved red plums
4 red chillies
2cm piece dried shrimp paste
1/2 piece palm sugar (finely chopped)
2 tablespoons lime juice
salt, sugar to taste

Method :

1. Marinate stingray with the ground ingredients, turmeric powder, tamarind juice, black pepper, salt and sugar. Stand for 20 minutes.
2. Carefully wrap the fish in turmeric leaves. Rub ghee on the surface of the leaves and broil or grill till cooked through.
3. To prepare asam boi juice : Mix all the ingredients well. Adjust seasoning.
4. Serve the grilled fish with the asam boi juice as a sauce.

The only thing is that you shouldn't cut the stingray up, it's better to pick the meat. Grilling it on a hot plate is the way to go.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:58 AM   #332
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:54 PM
http://www.mediterranean-food.net/
http://www.mediterranean-food-recipes.com/

I don't know how extensive these sites are, but you might find something.

Also, for some reason the Google search for "Mediterranean recipes" gave me a page full of Middle Eastern cuisine. Which, I must say, is the best food in the world. So if you're interested, try this:

http://www.arabicnews.com/recipes/recipes.html

Old 03-14-2008, 03:59 AM   #333
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2
I've found our bus drivers are pretty good at talking to people - they usually seem to get the barely english speaking asian passengers to the right place.
I love them. They come up and get all befuddled by the ticket machine, then realise they have no idea what everyone else is actually saying to them.

Then they start arguing about how the bus says that it's going to, say, Croydon, but they want to go to Knox but it doesn't actually say that it goes to Knox.

I've had to go help one bus driver translate so that the old chinese guy could actually figure out where he wanted to go. Turns out he didn't know either. We let him off and his son runs up, all frantic and out-of-breath. He'd nicked off
Old 03-14-2008, 04:00 AM   #334
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yogurt Cheese Balls

Seems a bit plain though.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:01 AM   #335
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:24 PM
Quote:
I probably wouldn't kick up a fuss if the driver missed my stop - i don't mind the walk and my normal stop is pathetically close to my house. I actually normally get off several stops early to walk it.

I've found our bus drivers are pretty good at talking to people - they usually seem to get the barely english speaking asian passengers to the right place.

I like my bus. By the time my stop comes around most people are off, and i tell the driver that if he wants he can cut down a certain street that will get him back to the depot sooner.
I'd probably just politely say something to the effect of "hey, that was my stop" if mine was missed. But yeah, the next stop from mine isn't really that much further. I occasionally get off at the stop before mine if I fancy a little bit of a walk.

I think the route 55 has some of Melbourne's most boring tram drivers. I hear about cool and interesting ones on other routes, but mine is invariably old guys who don't say much, or foreign guys who have only a faint grasp of English. The Melbourne Zoo is on my route, and too often tourists - especially those from the US and other countries that drive on the right - get on trams on the wrong side and have a longwinded discussion with a barely coherent foreign driver to find out that, no, the Zoo trams go the other way and they have to wait on the other side of the road.

All in all, though, it's a pretty decent route. I overheard two ticket inspectors once talking about how it was a quiet route.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-14-2008, 04:03 AM   #336
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic

I love them. They come up and get all befuddled by the ticket machine, then realise they have no idea what everyone else is actually saying to them.

Then they start arguing about how the bus says that it's going to, say, Croydon, but they want to go to Knox but it doesn't actually say that it goes to Knox.

I've had to go help one bus driver translate so that the old chinese guy could actually figure out where he wanted to go. Turns out he didn't know either. We let him off and his son runs up, all frantic and out-of-breath. He'd nicked off

"It says Botany, are we going to Meadowlands?"
"Yes, we do go to Meadowlands after Botany"
"So i need to catch another bus?"
*Facepalm*
Old 03-14-2008, 04:03 AM   #337
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:54 PM
I have never eaten Labneh balls. The recipe does seem a little plain.

There's no recipe for koshari on that page.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:03 AM   #338
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I think the route 55 has some of Melbourne's most boring tram drivers. I hear about cool and interesting ones on other routes, but mine is invariably old guys who don't say much, or foreign guys who have only a faint grasp of English. The Melbourne Zoo is on my route, and too often tourists - especially those from the US and other countries that drive on the right - get on trams on the wrong side and have a longwinded discussion with a barely coherent foreign driver to find out that, no, the Zoo trams go the other way and they have to wait on the other side of the road.
I'd say a good route is the one that runs from Domain Interchange to Flinders Street. Most of the tram drivers there are hilarious.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:04 AM   #339
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

"It says Botany, are we going to Meadowlands?"
"Yes, we do go to Meadowlands after Botany"
"So i need to catch another bus?"
*Facepalm*

Funny cause it's true!
Old 03-14-2008, 04:04 AM   #340
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:24 AM
What a shame, we have very few to zero drivers with character.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:04 AM   #341
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
To be honest, I'm not sure of any particular sites. What sort of Mediterranean dishes in particular were you thinking of cooking? Poultry? Breads?
Really, I just want to do anything new. Lasagne and spaghetti bolognese and so forth aren't exciting any more. Preferably, I want to do something that's quick and that can make multiple meals, so I can freeze some for later.

I'm looking at perhaps making my own gnocchi ...

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-14-2008, 04:05 AM   #342
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Good news, people:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...126157540.html

Quote:
Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Peter Blake said the cool change was now approaching Aireys Inlet.

''(It) looks to be coming through between 5pm and 7pm in the Melbourne area,'' Mr Blake said.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:07 AM   #343
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I'd say a good route is the one that runs from Domain Interchange to Flinders Street. Most of the tram drivers there are hilarious.
That would be the route 55! It runs Domain Road Interchange to Flinders Street, then along William Street through the city before proceeding to West Coburg. I obviously use the northern portion through Royal Park (when Kate and I were still talking, though, I used the whole route as she lives in St Kilda) and I've honestly only encountered a couple of interesting drivers. One gave footy scores ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-14-2008, 04:08 AM   #344
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Good news, people:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...126157540.html

THANK THE (NON-EXISTENT?) LORD.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #345
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

That would be the route 55! It runs Domain Road Interchange to Flinders Street, then along William Street through the city before proceeding to West Coburg. I obviously use the northern portion through Royal Park (when Kate and I were still talking, though, I used the whole route as she lives in St Kilda) and I've honestly only encountered a couple of interesting drivers. One gave footy scores ...
Ahh, ok. I've had a few interesting ones when I was going from Mac.Robertson Girls High School to Flinders Street: one gave the following exchange:

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome onboard, and we're heading to Flinders Street."

"Hope you all are having a great night."

"Tonight's a nice night... Thursday night is ladies night."

"Ohh yeah."

Tags
superthread