Unalaska Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sad Punk said:

com005d.jpg

It may suggest campy comic book characters and badly designed RPG enemies, but from a historical context, I find it very cool.

It's very Catwoman, but it looks interesting. Where and when is it from?

major_panic said:
My cousin's living with us - he's studying a foundation year at Trinity College. It's basically their exported patch of Asia, yeah. Although we have forced him to talk to people, eat Aussie food and stuff :up:

It doesn't help that most of them live in student accommodation, which is again all Asians anyway.

Also, there are several levels of Chinese class, so I think it may have been an advanced class. Or a Trinity class - there were I think three white people in the whole intake that I saw.

Good on you guys. :up: Introduced him to the wonders of Tim Tams yet? :wink:

I want to know if these people are even aware of the image they present of being an isolated clique that seems almost contemptuous and certainly disinterested in anything outside of their narrow sphere. I know I wouldn't want anyone thinking that about me ...

And if it's an advanced Chinese class, I guess we're not hurrying to produce another Kevin Rudd then. :wink: And I didn't realise Trinity was so dominated by Asian students.

You know politics are in a sad state when the best I can say is: if nothing else, it'll show the people that the elections aren't as rigged as they thought them to be, and it'll show the government that they're not invulnerable like they have been for the past 40 years.

Wow, yeah, that is pretty shithouse. What's especially worrying is how Malaysia is generally seen to be one of the Asian countries doing the best! You wonder just what the fuck's going down in places like Laos ...

I was born in Britain, left there age 2, lived in Malaysia until age 12, then moved here. Best decision of my family's life, moving here.

I've got to wonder what your accent's like after that combination! :lol:

The Sad Punk said:
India, mainly used as an assassin weapon. Still in use during the 19th century, I believe.

Was that the sort of thing the Thuggee used?

All I really know about them is that their campaign of murder from the 13th to the 19th century was a prequel to modern terrorism. I've no knowledge of their tactics or techniques.

major_panic said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonfa

It's a tonfa, I believe originally developed in Japan / China back in the early years (adapted from a farming / mining tool). You use it to hit people. You grab the short ends, swivel it out, protect your forearms, rotate it like a helicopter blade, the usual.

And Ali's right, it has been adapted for use by police forces in a lot of countries now as an alternative to the riot baton. Myself, I prefer the telescopic baton :drool:

Ahh, right. That sounds pretty cool.

Axver said:

Good on you guys. :up: Introduced him to the wonders of Tim Tams yet? :wink:

I want to know if these people are even aware of the image they present of being an isolated clique that seems almost contemptuous and certainly disinterested in anything outside of their narrow sphere. I know I wouldn't want anyone thinking that about me ...

And if it's an advanced Chinese class, I guess we're not hurrying to produce another Kevin Rudd then. :wink: And I didn't realise Trinity was so dominated by Asian students.

I don't think they know, and I don't think they care. As far as I've seen, they mostly just care about themselves.

And no, Trinity isn't - it's the foundation year students that actually study there that are mostly Asian, the residentials are very mixed.

Axver said:

Wow, yeah, that is pretty shithouse. What's especially worrying is how Malaysia is generally seen to be one of the Asian countries doing the best! You wonder just what the fuck's going down in places like Laos ...

Yeah. Cambodia's quite a nice place though, in every sense of the word. Really peaceful and hopeful country. Places like Laos or those other little dictatorships, you just really hope (and pray, for some) that the citizens are surviving.

Axver said:

I've got to wonder what your accent's like after that combination! :lol:

To Aussies and most people from Western countries, it's reasonably neutral. To Asians, it's very Aussie. I can make it more or less Aussie though. Apparently I speak Chinese with an Aussie accent, although I don't know how the hell that's remotely possible. :lol:

The Sad Punk said:
Holy shit, this is like a gun sword.

i-PenaiDam.JPG

I have no idea how you'd use it.

What in the hells is that? It's not really a gun, and kind of a weird sword!

Reminds me of the sword in one of the Final Fantasy games that had a trigger - it made the blade vibrate, which made it cut better or something. Nice idea.

Axver said:

Ahh, right. That sounds pretty cool.

It is very cool, and extremely scary to watch an experienced practitioner use one of those. The police don't get the really good training, just basic stuff as far as I know. Still enough to quell riots.

Axver said:

Was that the sort of thing the Thuggee used?

All I really know about them is that their campaign of murder from the 13th to the 19th century was a prequel to modern terrorism. I've no knowledge of their tactics or techniques.

I think the Thuggee mainly used gunpowder and swords, but hey, they might have used this from time to time too. I'm not sure how old the bagh nakh design is.

Hey, if you want to see more rocking swords, check out this site: http://www.valiantco.com/

Mostly South East Asian, and pretty damn interesting designs.

major_panic said:
I don't think they know, and I don't think they care. As far as I've seen, they mostly just care about themselves.

And no, Trinity isn't - it's the foundation year students that actually study there that are mostly Asian, the residentials are very mixed.

They need to stop being Phail Collins.

And ah, right, thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah. Cambodia's quite a nice place though, in every sense of the word. Really peaceful and hopeful country. Places like Laos or those other little dictatorships, you just really hope (and pray, for some) that the citizens are surviving.

Cambodia sounds amazing. One guy I know from high school did a mission trip there and had nothing but praise for the Cambodian people. Sounds like the place has come a long way from the Khmer Rouge days.

As for Laos, Burma, etc., it seems like the rest of the world has just forgotten about them ...

To Aussies and most people from Western countries, it's reasonably neutral. To Asians, it's very Aussie. I can make it more or less Aussie though. Apparently I speak Chinese with an Aussie accent, although I don't know how the hell that's remotely possible. :lol:

:lol: I'll be interested to see what you make of my accent, whether it's Aussie or Kiwi. I know some people in the last couple of years haven't guessed I'm Kiwi until I've told them, but others - including, if I remember correctly, Ali - still think I clearly speak like a Kiwi. Personally, I equally notice Kiwi and Aussie accents in other people as they both seem normal, and spot some very distinctive aspects of the Kiwi accent in my own speech.

major_panic said:

What in the hells is that? It's not really a gun, and kind of a weird sword!

Reminds me of the sword in one of the Final Fantasy games that had a trigger - it made the blade vibrate, which made it cut better or something. Nice idea.

A klewang from Indonesia. Of course, it's not a gun as well, but the way the handle curves is pretty peculiar. I'd like to see it in use.

Ooh, I just remembered another awesome sword, also from India - the urumi! It's like a whip sword.

epeemou.jpg

Kalari-Urumi.jpg

Look at this fellow work a couple of them:
urumi_clip.gif

Intense.

major_panic said:

It is very cool, and extremely scary to watch an experienced practitioner use one of those. The police don't get the really good training, just basic stuff as far as I know. Still enough to quell riots.

When I was about 15, I was talking to this guy who ran a shooting range on the Gold Coast and was fairly involved in the weapons industry. It was his opinion that the police, at least those in Queensland, received rather shoddy weapons training and were far too quickly and easily given weapons they did not fully understand.

The Sad Punk said:

A klewang from Indonesia. Of course, it's not a gun as well, but the way the handle curves is pretty peculiar. I'd like to see it in use.

Ooh, I just remembered another awesome sword, also from India - the urumi! It's like a whip sword.

epeemou.jpg

Kalari-Urumi.jpg

urumi_clip.gif

Intense.

OUCH!

Reminds me a bit of this:

21FG-du2DnL._AA160_.jpg

The nine-section whip from China, one of my favourite weapons. I really, really want one - the ultimate in portability and offensiveness.

The Sad Punk said:

epeemou.jpg

Kalari-Urumi.jpg

urumi_clip.gif

Intense.

Fucking hell, that's just nuts! Quoted for insanity.

Alisaura said:
I didn't find your accent to be very strong, Ax, but it's noticeable :wink:

I don't think I'll ever shake the Kiwi dance/chance pronunciation, or my use of the schwa in words like grown/mown/thrown that turns them into two syllable words. Thank goodness for that!

Axver said:

Cambodia sounds amazing. One guy I know from high school did a mission trip there and had nothing but praise for the Cambodian people. Sounds like the place has come a long way from the Khmer Rouge days.

Cambodia is AMAZING. Such a beautiful place and people, and such a sense of hope. I really want to go back there again someday. It's worth backpacking to for a couple of days, actually.

Axver said:

:lol: I'll be interested to see what you make of my accent, whether it's Aussie or Kiwi. I know some people in the last couple of years haven't guessed I'm Kiwi until I've told them, but others - including, if I remember correctly, Ali - still think I clearly speak like a Kiwi. Personally, I equally notice Kiwi and Aussie accents in other people as they both seem normal, and spot some very distinctive aspects of the Kiwi accent in my own speech.

I'm usually really good at spotting accents, so I will analyse your speech carefully, mwahahaha!

Saddo, you wouldn't happen to learn a martial art, would you? If you do, what is it? I'd be quite wary when meeting you...

major_panic said:
Saddo, you wouldn't happen to learn a martial art, would you? If you do, what is it? I'd be quite wary when meeting you...

I don't, actually. I'm not a violent person, but I have a fascination with pre-modern warfare. I box to stay in shape, that's about as close as it gets. :)

The Sad Punk said:
I box to stay in shape, that's about as close as it gets. :)

You know, normal people go for runs or work out at the gym. I'll be careful around you. :wink:

As for me, I'm more worried about keeping my brain in shape. :lol:

major_panic said:
Cambodia is AMAZING. Such a beautiful place and people, and such a sense of hope. I really want to go back there again someday. It's worth backpacking to for a couple of days, actually.

One of these days when I have a lot of money, I totally need to get out there and see a lot of stuff. Cambodia's definitely on the list.

I'm usually really good at spotting accents, so I will analyse your speech carefully, mwahahaha!

:lol:

How much do you know about the Kiwi accent? Because my form of the Kiwi accent identifies me as being from a part of the country that I actually have only spent a few days in.

Axver said:

You know, normal people go for runs or work out at the gym. I'll be careful around you. :wink:

As for me, I'm more worried about keeping my brain in shape. :lol:

:lol:

I walk a pretty fair distance most days, which is a little less violent. But you might want to be on your guard anyway. Just in case. :wink: Besides, I thought you would have figured that I'm not "normal" by now!

I really should walk more. I think I finally have incentive - walking up and down the tram line, photographing the passing trams.

FUCK I'M SUCH A NERD, I KNOW.

FUCK YES. Melbourne's temperatures for the upcoming week are being revised down. Tomorrow (well, today) will be 32 (which is actually a revision up from 30), then 36, 36, 30, 26, 21, 23. Bring on Thursday and Friday next week. :drool:

The Sad Punk said:
I walk a pretty fair distance most days, which is a little less violent. But you might want to be on your guard anyway. Just in case. :wink: Besides, I thought you would have figured that I'm not "normal" by now!

I'm pretty sure that none of us could possibly come under any definition of "normal" anywhere, except possibly on undiscovered alien societies or communities that lived hundreds of years ago.

Axver said:
I really should walk more. I think I finally have incentive - walking up and down the tram line, photographing the passing trams.

FUCK I'M SUCH A NERD, I KNOW.

Just tell people that you do it for the exercise. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom