Unalaska Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
liamcool said:

You happen to kill any of them yet?

Always tempted to, always tempted to. People like that don't deserve to live. They'll end up pushing drugs or leeching off the public welfare system.

Axver said:
YOU SAW THE OILS LIVE? :jealous: I'm so hooked on The Dead Heart at the moment.

I'm still not sure about this gig. I think tickets are around $35, and do I really want to pay that much to see a support band? I wish Jakob would just announce their own headlining gig!
$35 isn't a huge amount... to me at least :wink: How much do you like them?

And yeah, I got to see Peter Garrett "dancing"... Can't help thinking he might have been better off staying put. :(
My vague recollections tell me it was a good show :up:
Loads of drunk 20- and 30-something guys belting out the words :giggle:

I've only got their best-of... :reject:

liamcool said:

Put it perfectly. I witnessed all of this in high school. Me and the girlfriend were two of the few non Asians in the school, and were constantly shocked at how spoilt these pricks were. I do like Asian people though, they're always funny, honest and very smart. I'm not that racist.

(yes, I did go to a selective high school. Your point on the different English scale is probably why I dealt with so many of the fuckers. :wink:)

You poor, poor person. Selective schooling does work though; it does force some of the Asians to actually see, and interact with, white people.

Wait, where'd you go to school again?

major_panic said:
chinese%20sword%20display%20-%2031236.jpg

lungchuan%20sabre.jpg

weapons-chinese-weapons-spears-k-rattan-spear.jpg

The swords are usually sheathed and carried in a bag on my back though, and the spear tip is covered. It's still pretty bloody obvious what they are.
Shiny.... :love:

major_panic said:
It's because where they come from, they're the little kings and queens of the households, with everything pandering to them. You people think Australia's materialistic, you should go to Malaysia or Singapore.

Also, you know they have servants? They actually pay people to do things for them, like housework, cooking, looking after kids etc. and those servants ("maids" they call them) are expected to put up with crappy treatment, and do pretty much anything their employers say. And live with their employers so they work 24/7.

The kids are usually spoilt little brats because of it, and are generally afraid to adapt to new things unless they involve money or instant gratification for themselves.

... wow. I did have an inkling of this though. I noticed a number of student accommodation places pitched at international students - which seems to really just mean "Asians and maybe a few Indians and a token African" - emphasise on their websites that basically everything is done for you. You don't cook or clean or do any practical things at all, you don't even need to buy furniture, you just walk in, plug in your computer, and you're set.

Lazy pricks. Frankly, I like doing my own cooking, and a "maid" would just piss me off. I prefer to do things my way. Then, even if it's done poorly, at least I know where everything is and why it is the way it is!

It's because the uni gets a shitload of money from them. They are, I've heard, marked on a slightly different scale in terms of English ability, and requirements are lower.

Really? I'd always wondered about that. Some that I've spoken to seem to have shockingly poor English, so I was wondering how the fuck they write their essays. I'm also curious as to whether anybody else can actually get into their courses, because I still can't believe it when I see a lecture theatre empty and there isn't a single non-Asian in sight. It just reeks of a closed course and I'm not comfortable with that.

That being said, it isn't as bad as the situation in Malaysia, where if you're an ethnic Malay, you get a completely different and much more lenient marking system, preferential treatment in uni and employment, and you are practically given whatever you want at the cost of the other ethnic minorities living in the country.

I remember how one bloke got bumped off the national sailing team for another guy; the other guy was ranked 4 places below him, but was promoted cause he was an ethnic Malay.

Wow, that's just bullshit and stupid.

On a related note, see André Nel has gotten into a tiff with the South African cricket team because he got bumped from the Test squad so the quota of black Africans could be fulfilled?

Hiya Ali! :wave:

major_panic said:

chinese%20sword%20display%20-%2031236.jpg

lungchuan%20sabre.jpg

weapons-chinese-weapons-spears-k-rattan-spear.jpg

The swords are usually sheathed and carried in a bag on my back though, and the spear tip is covered. It's still pretty bloody obvious what they are.

Ooh, nice. I was worried it was just going to be a boring katana/wakazashi/tanto. Those are pretty cool. What historical era is the first one from?

I want a kopis:
03AH4111H%20Falcata%20kopis%20horse.JPG

I have a kuhkuri, but it's just not the same.

Alisaura said:

$35 isn't a huge amount... to me at least :wink: How much do you like them?

And yeah, I got to see Peter Garrett "dancing"... Can't help thinking he might have been better off staying put. :(
My vague recollections tell me it was a good show :up:
Loads of drunk 20- and 30-something guys belting out the words :giggle:

I've only got their best-of... :reject:

I think $35 is spectacularly cheap for a headliner, but I'm not so sure about paying just to see a short support set when I probably won't enjoy the headliner that much. In fact, since it's a Thursday gig, I'd probably have to leave early to get the last tram anyway. Bah, decisions, decisions.

Yeah, I feel for Peter Garrett, he must feel so constrained in his position right now. I wonder if he will ever go back to the Oils?

Oh fuck, I've simply GOT to cross-post this from the current round of HTDAAB Survivor.

CTU2fan said:
Studio version [of Yahweh] also sounds like a commercial "Take this shirt, and make it clean...with all-new Yahweh!"

TOO FUCKING FUNNY.

Axver said:

... wow. I did have an inkling of this though. I noticed a number of student accommodation places pitched at international students - which seems to really just mean "Asians and maybe a few Indians and a token African" - emphasise on their websites that basically everything is done for you. You don't cook or clean or do any practical things at all, you don't even need to buy furniture, you just walk in, plug in your computer, and you're set.

Lazy pricks. Frankly, I like doing my own cooking, and a "maid" would just piss me off. I prefer to do things my way. Then, even if it's done poorly, at least I know where everything is and why it is the way it is!

Exactly. I went to a hotel in Phuket, and was like "Dude, I'll carry my own freaking bag. I'm not retarded, thanks." I hate having stuff done for me. Especially when waiters come and put napkins on your lap / around your neck.

Axver said:

Really? I'd always wondered about that. Some that I've spoken to seem to have shockingly poor English, so I was wondering how the fuck they write their essays. I'm also curious as to whether anybody else can actually get into their courses, because I still can't believe it when I see a lecture theatre empty and there isn't a single non-Asian in sight. It just reeks of a closed course and I'm not comfortable with that.

I've not seen any of those; there are Chinese classes at uni though, that might be it?

Axver said:

Wow, that's just bullshit and stupid.

On a related note, see André Nel has gotten into a tiff with the South African cricket team because he got bumped from the Test squad so the quota of black Africans could be fulfilled?

Think Andre Nel's case is bad? It's worse. The Malaysian Government recently lost 5 states at a major election. Up till then, they'd held 13 of the 14 states, and could alter the Constitution at will. It's the reason I'm here - my parents just couldn't take the bullshit any longer.

I mean, if I'd gone to uni there, I'd've been allocated to a course regardless of my marks, unless I was one of the absolutely, absolutely brilliant. The ethnic Malays, on the other hand, get what courses they want, and inevitably get government-sponsored scholarships to study overseas.

Okay, I've gotta cool down. Malaysia and its politics gets me sooo angry sometimes. And I haven't even started on Singapore yet.

The Sad Punk said:

Ooh, nice. I was worried it was just going to be a boring katana/wakazashi/tanto. Those are pretty cool. What historical era is the first one from?

Katana/wakazashi/tanto are too cliched. Besides, they're Japanese - my martial art is Chinese! :wink: Although, I have been looking into using a tanto on its own - I've gotta learn me some good knife skills.

I'm not sure about the jian to be honest - the Chinese have been using the jian for as long as history, it seems, with only slight variations in the hilt and blade sizes varying. Mine's just a training blade, looks like that but it's plain metal all the way through.

The Sad Punk said:

I want a kopis:
03AH4111H%20Falcata%20kopis%20horse.JPG

I have a kuhkuri, but it's just not the same.

WOW, that's cool. I'm guessing Indian, South East Asian sorta weapon? It's pretty freaking huge too!

major_panic said:
Exactly. I went to a hotel in Phuket, and was like "Dude, I'll carry my own freaking bag. I'm not retarded, thanks." I hate having stuff done for me. Especially when waiters come and put napkins on your lap / around your neck.

I can't say I've ever had a waiter do that for me! It'd really piss me off, because I don't use napkins at all in the first place. I find them irritating and rather useless.

I've not seen any of those; there are Chinese classes at uni though, that might be it?

That's what I first thought, but you'd reasonably expect at least a few non-Asians to be learning Chinese too. I can't imagine a single perfectly open course that would fail to attract at least one non-Asian. I'm baffled. Maybe it's done as some kind of packaged international student thing? Speaking of that, do you know how organised things are for them? i.e. do they ever actually experience any Australian culture, or are they effectively living on their own exported patch of Japan/China/Malaysia/wherever?

Think Andre Nel's case is bad? It's worse. The Malaysian Government recently lost 5 states at a major election. Up till then, they'd held 13 of the 14 states, and could alter the Constitution at will. It's the reason I'm here - my parents just couldn't take the bullshit any longer.

Oh yeah, I heard about those election results. Good news, but will it lead to any substantial change?

I mean, if I'd gone to uni there, I'd've been allocated to a course regardless of my marks, unless I was one of the absolutely, absolutely brilliant. The ethnic Malays, on the other hand, get what courses they want, and inevitably get government-sponsored scholarships to study overseas.

Okay, I've gotta cool down. Malaysia and its politics gets me sooo angry sometimes. And I haven't even started on Singapore yet.

Wow, that's just seriously fucked. I can see why you're here. How long did you live in Malaysia? I think I remember you saying you were actually born in Britain ...

Although, Saddo, that being said, I also have a fascination with non-bladed, non-lethal weapons:

threesection_12.jpg

nunchaku_l.gif

tonfa1.jpg

14006a.jpg

telescopic-steel-baton.jpg

And of course the humble staff. I don't learn to use these all in wushu, but one can derive techniques for them based off existing techniques, and of course youtube.

I don't have all of these weapons either, iin case you were wondering. I just have the nunchaku (homemade) and staff.

major_panic said:
WOW, that's cool. I'm guessing Indian, South East Asian sorta weapon? It's pretty freaking huge too!

Greek. :) During Alexander the Great's conquests, it spread through the Middle East, eventually to India where weapons like the kora and kuhkuri developed out of it. And the kuhkuri is still in use today, making the kopis probably one of the most influential swords in history.

Some development here:
kopesh-kopis-kora.jpg

I wouldn't mind a kora or khopesh either, really.

Axver said:

I can't say I've ever had a waiter do that for me! It'd really piss me off, because I don't use napkins at all in the first place. I find them irritating and rather useless.

Well, I find most Asian waiters to be irritating and rather useless too!

Axver said:

That's what I first thought, but you'd reasonably expect at least a few non-Asians to be learning Chinese too. I can't imagine a single perfectly open course that would fail to attract at least one non-Asian. I'm baffled. Maybe it's done as some kind of packaged international student thing? Speaking of that, do you know how organised things are for them? i.e. do they ever actually experience any Australian culture, or are they effectively living on their own exported patch of Japan/China/Malaysia/wherever?

My cousin's living with us - he's studying a foundation year at Trinity College. It's basically their exported patch of Asia, yeah. Although we have forced him to talk to people, eat Aussie food and stuff :up:

It doesn't help that most of them live in student accommodation, which is again all Asians anyway.

Also, there are several levels of Chinese class, so I think it may have been an advanced class. Or a Trinity class - there were I think three white people in the whole intake that I saw.

Axver said:

Oh yeah, I heard about those election results. Good news, but will it lead to any substantial change?

You know politics are in a sad state when the best I can say is: if nothing else, it'll show the people that the elections aren't as rigged as they thought them to be, and it'll show the government that they're not invulnerable like they have been for the past 40 years.

Axver said:

Wow, that's just seriously fucked. I can see why you're here. How long did you live in Malaysia? I think I remember you saying you were actually born in Britain ...

I was born in Britain, left there age 2, lived in Malaysia until age 12, then moved here. Best decision of my family's life, moving here.

Axver said:

Alright, what is this and what does it do?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonfa

It's a tonfa, I believe originally developed in Japan / China back in the early years (adapted from a farming / mining tool). You use it to hit people. You grab the short ends, swivel it out, protect your forearms, rotate it like a helicopter blade, the usual.

And Ali's right, it has been adapted for use by police forces in a lot of countries now as an alternative to the riot baton. Myself, I prefer the telescopic baton :drool:

The Sad Punk said:

Greek. :) During Alexander the Great's conquests, it spread through the Middle East, eventually to India where weapons like the kora and kuhkuri developed out of it. And the kuhkuri is still in use today, making the kopis probably one of the most influential swords in history.

Some development here:
kopesh-kopis-kora.jpg

I wouldn't mind a kora or khopesh either, really.

Ahh ok, a Greek weapon. Didn't expect that, to be honest.

And whoah, that kora is one scary sword.

Alisaura said:

I'm guessing it's kinda like those police batons they have in the UK? (and possibly here too)... held against the forearms or something... :scratch:

Clearly my imagination isn't working tonight. I was looking at it and thinking "what the fuck is that meant to do? Look like some sort of wooden pistol you can point at someone and say 'bang, you're dead'?"

major_panic said:

Ahh ok, a Greek weapon. Didn't expect that, to be honest.

And whoah, that kora is one scary sword.

Yeah, a lot of people tend to be surprised that it's Greek. I guess they make a presumption that the Greeks were European, thus they had boring straight swords. Though they actually had a pretty cool variety of weapons, mainly due to influence from the Middle East, upper Balkans and the Steppes.

Another weapon I'm fond of is the Bagh Nakh.

com005d.jpg

It may suggest campy comic book characters and badly designed RPG enemies, but from a historical context, I find it very cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom