Unalaska Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
major_panic said:
The litigants appeared in person; women, the elderly, the infirm of body, and minors could have champions named to fight in their stead.
Wouldn't Dubya and Howard count as elderly? Especially by medival standards....

Alisaura said:

It's definitely a product of its time... they just don't write 'em like that any more. Certainly not with gender attitudes like that...! :yikes:

Still an interesting read. War of the Worlds is good too :up:

:yikes: Still, I enjoy post-apocalyptic and dystopian literature, so it's on my to-read list.

I finally got around to reading Brave New World in December last year. I could barely put it down.

Alisaura said:

Wouldn't Dubya and Howard count as elderly? Especially by medival standards....

*shrug* I think elderly would probably be more along the lines of really, really old people! Also, they're probably more infirm of mind than anything else.

Either way, I still think it's a great plan. Who's going with me?

Axver said:
I finally got around to reading Brave New World in December last year. I could barely put it down.
Haven't read that one... I need to watch some of those old sci fi films, too, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and all that...

major_panic said:

Actually, the first time I heard this song I couldn't make out half the lyrics. I told one of my mates "Dude, this song has nothing about seabirds in it, where's the relevance?"

His (somewhat sarcastic) answer was great: "They were a bunch of hippies in a rock band living in the 80s. They didn't do relevance."

:lmao:

What an incredible song, though. I especially love the last verse.

I just played Lonely Stretch - no idea why it never struck me before, because that's fucking INTENSE. Perhaps because I often skip Tarrilup Bridge and just go straight for Wide Open Road.

Axver said:

:yikes: Still, I enjoy post-apocalyptic and dystopian literature, so it's on my to-read list.

Brave New World, 1984, V for Vendetta (the graphic novel), War of the Worlds

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Especially V for Vendetta, it expresses things the way sometimes words just can't.

major_panic said:

Brave New World, 1984, V for Vendetta (the graphic novel), War of the Worlds

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Especially V for Vendetta, it expresses things the way sometimes words just can't.

To tell the truth, I have never ever read a graphic novel.

Axver said:

I just played Lonely Stretch - no idea why it never struck me before, because that's fucking INTENSE. Perhaps because I often skip Tarrilup Bridge and just go straight for Wide Open Road.

It is, isn't it? The only reason I'd not listen to it, and Tarrilup Bridge, is cause they seriously creep me out sometimes.

Alisaura said:

Haven't read that one... I need to watch some of those old sci fi films, too, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and all that...

I'm not much into films at all. Life's too short for movies, you know? I like music and books; they leave more to the imagination and I find them to be more involving and satisfying.

Plus the exorbitant cost of going to the theatre seriously puts me off anything new.

major_panic said:

I hadn't either until Watchmen, then V for Vendetta (both by Alan Moore). Totally worth the read.

You're not doing a good job living up to Asian stereotypes. :tsk: :wink:

major_panic said:
*shrug* I think elderly would probably be more along the lines of really, really old people! Also, they're probably more infirm of mind than anything else.

Either way, I still think it's a great plan. Who's going with me?
Fair enough... count me in! :D

Axver said:

You're not doing a good job living up to Asian stereotypes. :tsk: :wink:

I don't have dyed hair or run around pretending to be Cloud Strife or Sephiroth or Hirohito or whatever those anime characters' names are either.

And I don't walk around like a fool pretending that I'm all tough and in the Yakuza.

Because I don't need to. :larry:

Alisaura said:

Fair enough... count me in! :D

Me too. My bag's packed.

More to the point, my bag's still pretty much packed from my trip to New Zealand back in January ... :reject:

On another random sidenote, anyone watched Juno, that new film that's come out? It's great, definitely worth a watch (or download).

major_panic said:
On another random sidenote, anyone watched Juno, that new film that's come out? It's great, definitely worth a watch (or download).
I loved it!! Definitely a pleasant surprise... I'd expected something much more depressing. :up:

And Kimya Dawson's songs... :love:

major_panic said:
I don't have dyed hair or run around pretending to be Cloud Strife or Sephiroth or Hirohito or whatever those anime characters' names are either.

And I don't walk around like a fool pretending that I'm all tough and in the Yakuza.

Because I don't need to. :larry:

You're not doing a very good job as my token Asian friend then, are you? :tsk:

Though, seriously, how about some of the walking stereotypes around the Asia Centre at uni?

major_panic said:

I've only heard the title. Otherwise, I haven't a clue about it. What a shock, I know.

Alisaura said:

I loved it!! Definitely a pleasant surprise... I'd expected something much more depressing. :up:

And Kimya Dawson's songs... :love:

The music was what made the film for me. Without it, it'd just have been another of those "Ooooooh trying to stir controversy!" films. As it was, it turned out to be a really nicely-crafted show, a treat to watch.

Oh, Liam and Ali, and Melissa if she's here:

Support has been announced for PT's gigs. Melbourne band Sleep Parade. I've never heard their stuff before but the guys at OzProg seem pretty excited about them.

Axver said:

You're not doing a very good job as my token Asian friend then, are you? :tsk:

Though, seriously, how about some of the walking stereotypes around the Asia Centre at uni?

Which ones? The nerdy ones with the huge glasses, shirts tucked in and pants up to their ribcages, or the oooh-look-at-me-I'm-so-hypercool-TB-just-arrived-off-the-boat ones with streaks in their hair, wearing white and always wearing jeans and listening to J-pop, or the don't-touch-me-I'm-Yakuza ones with the chesty vests, crappy hair that's usually bleached blond and worse English?

And of course, there's the "OOOOOOH I WANT TO BE WHITE/BLACK" ones, with horribly dyed brown or blond hair and ridiculously lame attempts to be white such as listening to rap and R&B and breakdancing.

As you can see, I loathe most Asian stereotypes, especially cause I don't fall in any of them.

liamcool said:

Oh shit, an Aussie band! We're fucked!

But it's a Melbourne band, so there's some hope. If it were a Sydney band, then yes, we'd be fucked. See: Cog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom