Unalaska Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alisaura said:

Is there a way of doing that besides just counting? :scratch:

Nope, or at least not that I recall from my premium days, so if you're going to count back, you better do it quickly while you only need to count back 17 or so. :wink:

It's probably me talking about how I made scrambled eggs for the first time (and succeeded, hurrah!) just now for dinner.

Be great if it was the letter to Howard post though.

Alisaura said:

It's one of the few sites we can access at work... the radar maps can provide hours of entertainment when the only alternative is Yellow Pages or the Age website :lol:

Oh man, the Yellow Pages, that must be riveting. :wink:

major_panic said:
It's probably me talking about how I made scrambled eggs for the first time (and succeeded, hurrah!) just now for dinner.

Be great if it was the letter to Howard post though.

I'm hoping it was your Howard volcano letter too.

major_panic said:
Y'know, we need more trial by combat.

"An Unusual Trial By Combat

In 1380, a trial by combat was said to have been fought in France between a man and a dog. The dog’s master, Montdidier, had been murdered by the Chevalier Maquer. Maquer buried the body and departed. The dog, masterless and hungry, journeyed to Paris and sought out the Chevalier Ardilliers, a friend of his master Montdidier, and led him back to his master’s grave. This loyal dog scratched the dirt covering the grave until Ardilliers dug up the corpse of Montdidier. Later the dog spied Maquer, his master’s killer, and attacked him viciously. The dog renewed his attacks at each encounter with Maquer, soon arousing suspicion since heretofore his nature had been gentle. Friends recalled that Maquer had shown hostility to Montdidier, and reported this situation to the king. The king ordered trial by combat between Maquer and the dog to uncover Maquer’s guilt or innocence.

At combat, Maquer was unable to contain the frenzied attack of the dog, who focused on Maquer’s throat. Maquer, undone by the dog’s fervor and tenacity, confessed to his crime and was duly hanged."
A most worthy 1000th post! Assuming I can count... :reject:

major_panic said:
And the Bureau of Meteorology (Melbourne) is actually cutting-edge science here, rather than a creative way of avoiding a real job. (thanks Terry Pratchett for that one!)

Weather forecasting: the only job where you are paid to be wrong 98% of the time.

It's Lame Bean! :wave:

Been too busy in the potato sack with your many "girl"friends?

Alisaura said:

There's always the White Pages, if the Yellowness is too exciting .... :hyper:

Oh yeah, watch as your work blocks the Yellow Pages because it's just too colourful and vibrant.

liamcool said:

At least I have a girlfriend.

Who needs girlfriends when you have Interference?

That being said, never had one, and I probably should find out what it's like at some stage...

I must say, we've done pretty well with this thread. I don't expect it to hang around as long as the previous one did.

OMG OMG OMG

From the earlier article about Trial By Combat:

The United States inherited its common law traditions from the English system when it declared its independence in 1776, with precedents before that date entrenched in the American jurisprudence, as the Rule In Shelley's Case in property law has. The British, however, did not abolish wager by battle until 1818 in Ashford v. Thornton, as noted above, and since independence, no court in the United States has addressed the issue of whether this remains a valid alternative to a civil action under the law. In Forgotten Trial Techniques: The Wager of Battle by Donald J Evans published in the ABA Journal 71:66 (May 1985) - the possibility of a trial by battle was set out in a parody of hard-boiled pulp fiction author Raymond Chandler but set in a lawyer's office.

I think I might have found one redeeming feature of the US!

major_panic said:
I must say, we've done pretty well with this thread. I don't expect it to hang around as long as the previous one did.

Yeah, that last one was astonishingly slow.

Hey, random Triffids question for you and anybody else who wants to answer: what do you think is the most depressing song on Born Sandy Devotional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom