UK Interlanders: Looking to do London on the Cheap!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
After reading here about dirt-cheap European airfares, my boyfriend and I are very tempted to take a chunk of our winter break to go to London. The plane fare is doable, but we're not sure about the rest of the cost. We both will need passports as we've never been out of the country, and we may or may not have a place to say (with my boss's cousin who currently lives in London). Anyone with ideas about cheap places to stay and eat, as well as ballpark figures for spending money, would be welcomed! Thanks! :)

paxetaurora said:
It did indeed, but this is specifically about London, so I started a new thread. ;)

I'm a mod, I know the rules :grumpy:

:lol:

well i wish you the best on your planning. i am jealous. one day i will get my expenses under control and go over seas. this is a great deal so you should jump on this. :D

oh and from what i have read and heard from friends of mine that have traveled to London during the winter season you will be able to get some great deals on lodging, etc since it is not the tourist season. if you are really strapped for cash, i would look at hostels or try to locate some B&B's. i believe dear old cujo just had a vacation over there, so you may be able to ask him for some guidance.

passports will run you around $75USD. you can print off an application from the us gov't website. you should do this first before anything else because of the time it takes to process and approve.

i would check out rick steves website for additional deals. he is all about traveling to europe as cheap as possible.

hope some of that helps. :wave:

Last edited:
Yup...check on the passports ASAP if you plan to go.

You can get expidited service if you apply by mail but it will cost you big time...supposedly it takes like 6 to 8 weeks normally but I just renewed mine by mail and it took less than a month :shrug:

If you go online to Virgin Atlantic's website, there are some very good package deals--include airfare and hotel...they also have extra charges (but what doesn't these days?) and insurance. For my hubbie and I to go to London for a week, flying from JFK in NY and staying in a decent place comes to $1200 for both of us. Considering tix to Europe in summer of '99 cost $1100 just for the flight, that's a good price.
We're considering doing the same thing...maybe it'll be London in the spring! Whoo! (but with the poverty/joblessness/etc. news today, maybe we'll just save that money and use it to pay the mortgage when he gets laid off :(

Do you have an aversion to hostels? You could get a 2 bed room and some of the ones in London are really nice and the locations are fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom