Ugly Betty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So just bringing the thread back up as i've watched the first 7 episodes. I have a real love/hate for this show

Love
Vanessa Williams's character!
The fact that Daniel realises Betty's potential
Betty's strength
Betty's family
Christina

Hate
Walter Betty's boyfriend, whiny ugly nasty shit of a character. He left her and then makes her feel guilty for following her dreams. Why won't she fuck him off! (how cute was the guy from accounting? Be with him!)

The moralistic tone of the show - if she is so disgusted by Mode, why doesn't she get a job with Salma's magazine?

The whole Salma/Daniel storyline. Is there not one story line when a woman can not be attracted to a good looking male. Even though the turned the tables, it shits me she had to sleep with him, why couldn't she be more aloof and not have to fuck with him?

why do other people think?

Last edited:
Keep watching Amy. I had some of the same concerns you had after about the episode 7 mark, but we are up to something like 14 episodes here in the U.S. and I'm feeling a lot better about the direction the show is headed in. I'd go into more detail, but I don't want to give anything away.

The only reason I saw the twist coming was because there were some people who called it at the Television Without Pity boards and I knew this show was over-the-top enough to do something like that. I never would have guessed it on my own.

Is she gorgeous or what? I love her. She makes that show what it is.

capt.573f215884314ae480138c0db838c4d2.sag_awards_arrivals_cadm203.jpg

She's stunning! I loved her speech at the Golden Globes - it was so genuine and sweet. :love:

I don't know why I haven't said anything here yet, but I love this show! I caught the first episode and missed one or two after that, but it was nice to have the re-run last week, since it's one of the ones I missed.

It's a great show! :up:

Helen Mirren bestows congratulations on Ugly Betty winner America Ferrera, who later headed to the PEOPLE bash. Though Ferrera joked in her acceptance speech that she was "completely out of things to say," costar Eric Mabius had plenty to say. "She's probably the most genuinely, heartfelt, honest, emotion-filled, amazing woman I've ever worked with," he gushed about Ferrera.

america_ferrera.jpg

I've seen this show once or twice, and it's better than most of what's out there, but I still don't see how it's funny.

It's more of a dramedy than a comedy you know?

Which makes me a little bitter when it wins awards over The Office, which is pure comedy with some dramatic elements (Pam/Jim)

Did anybody watch tonight (still in progress here). Remember the old lady in the train station who gave Betty that "look" when Betty was freaking out? That's my mother-in-law!!! She filmed it a few weeks ago :)

I taped it. Didn't know it was her episode, but with TiVo (moxie) I can start recording and it picks up from the beginning. I think you can watch episodes on the abc.com site :shrug:

<<back to Grey's Anatomy

Lila64 said:
Did anybody watch tonight (still in progress here). Remember the old lady in the train station who gave Betty that "look" when Betty was freaking out? That's my mother-in-law!!! She filmed it a few weeks ago :)

I saw it

Cool, is she an actress?

She does extra work. And the shoot for Ugly Betty was late at night, and about an hour from where we live. There was a little drama about this because of the timing/scheduled they were filming, and my m-i-l has it on her file that she doesn't work nights/overnight, etc., especially with the distance from home. But they had already had her fitted for the "costume", so she had gotten "special treatment" that night it seems. :up:

She's been in other things to. She got into the Friends finale, and Meet The Fockers,... I can't remember all the others. She danced with Dustin Hoffman in Meet The Fockers. My sister-in-law had worked for him about 25+ years ago, so mom-in-law mentions this, and they have a lovely conversation. I think she started doing the 'extra' work in about 2001 or so, at least a year or two after my father-in-law passed away. And she just turned 80!

ETA - She is supposed to be in House too, but I don't know when it airs. I believe she is supposed to be in a bed. She never has speaking lines, but still!

ETA2: OH!!! She was in that last black/white movie that George Clooney did. I think the hugged him :faint:

No, not that movie. The film noir one with Cate Blanchett, The Good German. I'm so envious too. Wish she would have taken me with her! Or gotten me an autograph or something, but noooooooooooooooooo:wink:

i saw part of this tonight, i've heard so much about it. i thought i'd love it and was really missing out but it was complete and utter drivel. :der:

maybe it gets better though :hmm:

Who is the actress who plays Charley? She's super-cuet :cute:

I mean like seriously guys.

vlcsnap1301665cq6.png

:cute:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

And strangely enough, she played a girl named Charlie on Heroes too :eyebrow:

I KNEW she looked familiar!! I loved her on Hereos!! Hope she stays around a little longer on this one!!:wink:

Okay show, I wouldn't call it funny or witty, I'd just classify it as drama. Although it would be better if she had the same personality AND was hot! It's wierd how all the other attractive women in the show are stereotyped as uptight vindictive cows.

One thing that annoys me about her character is that shes one of these 'deliberately and trying to be' out of place people, if you follow me :S, far too cliche.

Another random thought, somebody should write to Hollywood and tell them to stop making their protaganists playing the role of a faux-pas prone bumbling idiot type characters fall over at inauspicious times or walk into doors because it's NOT FUNNY AND INCREDIBLY LOW BROW.

Back
Top Bottom