U2GIRL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever thought about taking your pursuit of "serious" and "intelligent" threads over to Free Your Mind? I fear that the laughter will only increase if you keep it up here.

~U2Alaska

Originally posted by soul service:
Maybe YOU could help... Could you explain me what's so funny in that THEU2 thread, please? Can't figure it out...

she probably didn't get it either.

------------------
"I'm gonna start a day care!"-Bono

Seeing that nobody was willing to give me an answer, I looked by myself. Read another thread from U2GIRL. I must say that I didn't get the "This thread will end up closed like all the others" at first, but after reading other threads, I got it... and found it pretty funny!

Come on, go easy on me!!! LOL!!! Did I seem THAT close to others' opinion? Honestly, in my attitude, what was the exact thing that made you think of her?

Be good and happy!! HOPE to see you all with a smile!

smile.gif
to soul service

Be good and happy!! HOPE to see you all with a smile!

Damn! Wish I could be that nice!

------------------

Maybe YOU could help... Could you explain me what's so funny in that THEU2 thread, please? Can't figure it out...

I just read the THEU2 thread, and i must say i don't know what is so funny about it. Come to think of it, i don't even know why i was mentioned in there...*U2girl shrugs*
Perhaps people who said that could elaborate?

About the "thread getting closed"-nah, not this one. True, there were threads i wrote that got closed, but yours didn't, soul service. So, no connection in that sense. Besides, lots of people had their threads closed since this forum started-and i don't think a closed thread itself necessarily proves anything about it's author.

You said you liked talking to one person at a time, instead of several (that's where the whole "U2girl" talk started). As for me, that depends-sometimes i respond to more than one person (for example, if it's discussion), and sometimes i respond to certain individuals. (for example, if a person writes something funny or interesting, or starts the thread that gets my attention-like you with this thread.)
But i guess all the people in this forum do that, not just you or me. Not really a similaritiy to me as an individual.

ps: To answer your original question: interesting topics are always welcome (of course, there's always the question of what's interesting to you?). Perhaps Lemonade stand of Free your mind forums would best suit your search for interesting topics.

Let me just add i don't see a resemblance between your post (either this one either THEU2 one) or what i write in general-allegedly that caused the "are you related to U2girl" question.
(except maybe the fact that this is a questoning, inquiry sort of thread-and i wrote quite a few of those-although those were mainly about U2 or English expressions i didn't understand).

pps: Speaking of threads titled "U2girl", there's one in EYKIW by U2Bama. What was the purpose or meaning of that? There's no text in the post, just the title. If anyone sees U2Bama around, could you tell him to drop by in this thread and explain?

------------------
"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things nobody one else can. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 11-07-2001).]

Maybe looking at my other threads, you'd understand... "Do intelligent posts interest people?", "Happiness is voluntary", "Why do we indecently share our thoughts on websites?"... But, looking at one thread about drugs you posted to I don't remember who that ended up closed, I think I understood a bit what they meant... It's cool, you think and give your thoughts (maybe that's what made them do the link)... But, you seem to GIVE your thoughts instead of sharing them... From MY point of view, you answer defensively. It's alright, this makes discussions! But discussing with someone who doesn't rely on experience (ex. drug topics) and HOLD their opinion like if it was the HOLY TRUTH, this can be really frustrating. Maybe there should be a place for doubt or at least, saying "It's only my opinion". I think that's the whole story about "experience" people seem to come back to... No offense, just telling you what I think from what I read.

BTW, that doesn't mean I'm not open to discussing with you...

Maybe looking at my other threads, you'd understand... "Do intelligent posts interest people?", "Happiness is voluntary", "Why do we indecently share our thoughts on websites?"... But, looking at one thread about drugs you posted to I don't remember who that ended up closed, I think I understood a bit what they meant... It's cool, you think and give your thoughts (maybe that's what made them do the link)... But, you seem to GIVE your thoughts instead of sharing them... From MY point of view, you answer defensively. It's alright, this makes discussions! But discussing with someone who doesn't rely on experience (ex. drug topics) and HOLD their opinion like if it was the HOLY TRUTH, this can be really frustrating. Maybe there should be a place for doubt or at least, saying "It's only my opinion". I think that's the whole story about "experience" people seem to come back to... No offense, just telling you what I think from what I read.

BTW, that doesn't mean I'm not open to discussing with you...

First, thanks to U2Bama for explaining.

Now, soul service: (you are talking about me, right? if not, stop reading this now)

- Give my thoughts? What do you mean-it's always sharing when a person writes a thread, isn't it?
- Answering defensively. Well, you'd know why i do that if you'd read some (actually, a lot, not just some) of my earlier posts over at the EYKIW forum. Let's just say that some people insist on getting personal in a discussion, so i get defensive.
- You mentioned the "drug" thread: that was just my opinion. I can't make people change their minds, just like they can't change mine.

None offense was taken.

------------------

"U2 as a band does things nobody one else can. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

Originally posted by U2girl:
Let's just say that some people insist on getting personal in a discussion, so i get defensive.

We're all so mean.

------------------

Soul service: i looked at the "why are we sharing our thoughts on websites" and "are we sharing or giving" threads.

Good questions...speaking for myself, i come to this website to talk about U2 (mainly, not always) and share infos with U2 fans. Sometimes this forum gets messy, but in general it's a nice place to be.
As for "sharing or giving": again, this is my opinion only. On one hand it's nice to share your views and/or start up a topic, on the other hand it's also nice to get feedback from other people and exchange views. To me, it's a little bit of both. Not just giving, and not just sharing.
Know what i mean?

------------------

And also, U2girl, I like how you posted the question about my "TheU2girl" thread in here rather than posting a new thread about it! And I agree with you on most of the pot stuff!

Originally posted by U2Bama:
And also, U2girl, I like how you posted the question about my "TheU2girl" thread in here rather than posting a new thread about it! And I agree with you on most of the pot stuff!

Thanks. Well i figured since you posted in this thread before, you'll probably stumble upon my question eventually...so no need to start a new thread.

Originally posted by mikal:
u2girl,

Anytime you get bashed or attacked, it's because you brought it upon yourself. Period!

Acting like Mother Theresa isn't gonna earn you any sympathy.

Sure. Whatever you say. (and don't think i didn't see the "here we go again" comment in the "afghanistan TV" thread in EYKIW)

If it wasn't clear before: the sentence you quoted was NOT about you. It was about the past in EYKIW forum (before the "drug" debate), which has nothing to do with you.

And what are you talking about?!? Acting like Mother Theresa?

Soul service: I really thought i could get along with everyone on this forum. Guess i was naive about that...
There's an archive of things posted in EYKIW, called Everything you know was wrong. If you want, you can go see what i'm talking about for yourself.

ps: Another thing which is a big hit with some people is making "jokes" (they are jokes to them), but when the person is offended, they say "i was kidding" or "get over it". They don't want to realise that some kinds of humor can hurt others.

------------------

Ok. I get your point. Let me explain you something about the defensive attitude. As always, that's only what I think. You posted two or three times to "justify" that you were acting defensively. It seems that you always justify thing and cannot leave things there. You have to explain one last time, every time. That's only from the little I read, so maybe I'm wrong.

It's impossible to get along with everyone... There is always someone you won't connect with and that's ALRIGHT!!

About posting a lot, place yourself at the others' place. What would you say if page one was filled with the post of only one person? I guess that "Shut the fuck up, once in a while!" would come to your month, rather you want it or not. Someone said "You have two ears and one month. So, you're supposed to listen twice as much as you talk.". An asian thinker said :"Don't open your month unless you have something intelligent to say." I'm not saying that you say stupid stuff. It's just that when you don't know something, like the drug thing, you can't REALLY express a radical opinion. I believe that the problem is that people are too "close-minded". If they are not receptive to what you say, you'll "fight" back. If you think you had a nice idea, but it didn't work, try again or differently. Or leave it there. You can't control others' thoughts. Leave it there. You can say what you think but they are not obligated to take it. They'll do whatever they want with what you say and that's the consequence you have to assume everytime you open your mouth!!! People can be rude, I agree. THat's not cool, I agree. If you can't live with it, stop posting. If you can, but you're tired of it, maybe it's time to change your attitude. Find solutions. If you're being in a place where there are only jerks, you can say :"People are rude, they're jerks, I'm so sick and tired of it!!". You can also leave the place and get to a place where there is a different kind of people. You can also stay there and try to "adapt" or whatever... The point is you have to assume your choice!

For me, I believe in sharing. Not that you give in the goal to get. See, I give "freely" my thoughts. I hope people will read what I wrote and write back about it. Not because it gives me importance, but because their point of view interest me in the way that it brings a new one on mine. If we all agreed, shit, it would be really boring. So, I have to deal with the fact that giving myself maybe sometimes means getting some shit. But I also have the chance to get some prettty nice things. I have to live with my choice that I share. Sharing is equilibrium to me. And that's the goal. At least, that's MY goal. And it's pretty hard. The equilibrium in sharing is difficult, cause sometimes it leads to self-importance. You give and give and give, and always intend people to give back to what you gave, instead of letting them give like they do, differently. And sometime, you just hang to others giving. So, for me, it's all about sharing.

E-mail is "soul_serv@hotmail.com". If you want to talk about other stuff in it, go ahead!!

u2girl,

Anytime you get bashed or attacked, it's because you brought it upon yourself. Period!
it does seem like it is one of your hobbies though
I don't agree with everything u2girl posts, but there wasn't much in this thread that provoced such a reaction

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

u2girl,

It's obvious you're talking about Sicy in your previous posts. Now I know I've been on your case the last week, but Sicy has been staying away from you for quite a while now. Yet you still need to talk about her subtly. Let it go!

------------------

Originally posted by Salome:
u2girl,

it does seem like it is one of your hobbies though
I don't agree with everything u2girl posts, but there wasn't much in this thread that provoced such a reaction

Next time I do something right around here, please tell me! I'd like to know.

------------------

Next time I do something right around here, please tell me! I'd like to know.
I won't
it's my mission to be a ruthless bastard

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 11-08-2001).]

We're all so mean.

Hmmmm...i didn't give any names because i knew some people might jump up and start complaining. And if anyone here feels like that was about him/her, well, that's your problem, isn't it?

Ok, soul service, let me tell you some more about "being defensive":

- when i first started posting in here, i posted a lot (and i mean a lot), which resulted in heavy criticism (posting actually is not limited, i might add. there is no rule about how much one can post). This period included the infamous "all of my posts on page 1" project. (like the name says, it was about filling up page 1 with my posts)

- next, i started posting non-U2 related posts, because i wanted feedback from people here (the reactions to this could best be summed up in the sentence "don't post non-U2 related thing in here" and the attitude "how dare you?!?". if you look at EYKIW, you'll see there are non-U2 related things to be found at all times). This included "who is still single" and "question for Bonovista" threads. (this one especially upsetting some people. ironic, Bonovista herself was the kindest of those who replied and yet, she was the only one who had any right to really get upset).

- then there were opinion threads. Basically, i disagreed with some of the things people were saying and again, bashing me was in fashion, sort of. There were, in all honesty, times when i was wrong, and i apologised for all of them.

- there was the "status" thing. (i'll email you about it, can't talk about it here)

Throughout the time of my posts, there's comments like "your posts are the worst ever" or "this is stupid" or "it's boring" or "this sucks", not to mention how there were individuals who said i was on drugs and how they hated me (ok, 1 individual here). And, throughout that time, often there is a group of regulars who do the bashing. And the attitude is often "U2girl is involved, let's attack her no matter what".

So, yes, i get defensive - for a reason.

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom