U2 were at the Bluesfest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
well not them personally,
but the next best thing. Between acts on the main stage they were playing the Unforgettable Fire album:up: It was great to hear it through the BIG PA. And when that wasn't playing , there was Edge and Bono looming L.A.R.G.E in the 46664 documentary. It made what was already a great occassion, even better for me. I am still amazed/stoked they were playing that album at the Bluesfest. Somebody up there( "up" there in this case being, the mixing tent , likes me)
Michael Franti was an absolute delight. I met one of my old school friends on the beach this morning. She works at the hotel where he is staying. I asked her if she finds a dreadlock of his on the pillow, would she please souvenir it for me:D
There was a huge Nigerian band that closed the night, what energy, my o my can those women dance and shake their groove thing.
One day down
Four to go.
Today is The Waifs, John Butler Trio( he was on stage dancing with Michael Franti last night, stylish) and Jackson Browne, to name a few.
but what a great start....:heart:U2:heart:

:wave:

!WOW!

mucho :up:
Jackson Browne far exceeded any of my expectations. What an accomplished musician he is and the beauty of his lyrics.A captivating performance.
I had the best spot on Friday/night. Everyone I wanted to see were at the Crossroads stage, so hub and I set up camp behind the mixer and I could even see the stage sitting in my chair(poor old girl).....VIP:D
I got my second wind last night, which was just as well. The CAT EMpire are such a great band to dance to. I was so surprised when The Black Keys set up. I didn't know they were a two piece band. So much energy, a great drummer to dance to/with and so much soul flowing out of the little singer Dan.
Steve Earle didn't do it for me, but you get that...
Michael Franti:heart:
Solomon Burke:eek::dance:
This event is so well organised, I'm so glad i bought the season ticket...more Cat Empire today. U2 were being played again on the Friday night, i don't think it is the UF album, maybe the Best of...I had a chuckle at one stage there, one of the roadies was singing along (thru the microphone) to WOWY...only at the Bluesfest:cool:
I doesn't apear many people are giving money to the 46664 appeal:( I almost could have had an argument with my sister about it this morning...but it wasn't worth it, she don't listen to me:banghead:
what did i hear Jackson sing the other night?
...just take the steps you have been shown
by all the people you have ever known.......
magic moments indeed. Only 2 more days to go:(
don't be sad it's over...be glad it happened
:yes:
Everyone deserves music...music is the language of us all

Solomon Burke!!!!

he was the highlight of our main summer festival last year
I kid you not

Solomon :up:

Re: !WOW!

cass said:
Michael Franti:heart:
Solomon Burke:eek::dance:

For this, you have my eternal love. :love: :hug:

Solomon is great, isn't he? (And I do not mean his physical stature) What a voice that man has.
Please, don't give up on me

I will play his CD again tomorrow. He deserves to be played every day of the year.

Marty (is going to bed now)

:hmm:

Two Dutchies giving praise to Solomon at the same time. That has to indicate everyone on this forum should buy the album, doesn't it?

:D

Marty (has seen footage of that summer festival)

PS: I forgot to say...this whole expedition got off to an auspicious start.
As i as driving into the little town where I went to high school, i got caught in a traffic jam:faint: the times they are a changin'

i turned on the car radio and the announcer said" here's a song by daniel lanois" daniel and bono duetting:heart:
I exceeded my image/smilie limit in that last post
THE 2004 East Coast Blues and Roots Festival
:applaud: :dance: :cool: :heart: :dance: :applaud:

Hi sal
Hi marty
wish you were here
I only saw a small section of Solomon's show last night. He is on earlier today and I will catch his whole act.
it rained the first tow days, but yestedray was perfect autumn weather, i had THE best coffee i've ever drank yesterday, there's a Japanese family keeping me supplied with tofu pockets for not much money. I honestly am having a ball, a great BIG mirror ball:)
speaking of which, the Mojo satge is so well set up, a white backdrop, great light shows and two BIG mirror balls
**pinches herself to see if she's died and gone to heaven**

:hug: marty, sweet dreams
signed cass...whos shouldn't have gone into the merchandising tent yesterday...emmylou's "stumble into grace" CD is in there.
I bought the "fatherhood project" CD to support their worthy cause...and THEN I saw the emmylou album...i want it all:)
:hmm; what a long sign off...I'm a tad excited:hyper:

I've decided to take this very personally

"Magic Moment" from Day4
Solomon Burke was really enjoying himself, saying how much he could feel the love.What an old flirt. He stopped the show at one stage and asked all the beautiful birthday girls, anyone who has a birthday this week, this month to raise their hands. I was one of about 20 in that great big audience. He got his bass player to sing "You Are So beautiful To Me" for "all the birthday girls" :heart:
He actually stood up at one stage and almost danced, it was so cool.He's got soul soul soul, sweet soul. I'm impressed.
I was thinking if there is one person who is really happy to be alive on this planet right now and is digging what he does, it's Solomon Burke Jr. He totally was going off in flirt overdrive with all the women:laugh:
I discovered there is lots of dancing room in the back of the Juke Joint:up: Yesterday I grooved to some unknown( to me) but brilliant blues bands. I'm looking forward to Toots and the Maytals tonight. I listened to them a lot when I was younger and love dancing to reggae music.....although there is a lot of latin feel in some of the bands, so i've been salsa-ing ...even though I don't know how to salsa:D
I'm gonna need hip replacement surgery after this, they are worn out:cool:
Hey, please cross your fingers for me today. Every year Gibson Guitars donates a guitar to be raffled for a worthy cause. This year it is the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and Gibson have donated 3 guitars. I just read the description of the guitars on the 2 tickets I have bought. I almost made me weep they sound so beautiful. Any one of them would be a perfect 16th birthday present for my youngest son.**crosses fingers...and toes**

The two very adorable ( I think French) guys that have been working at the gate ALL festival collecting money for the 46664 campaign, gave me a nice little present yesterday...what sweeties....( girls...sweeties abound, another nice thing about the Bluesfest) :cool:
hey peace y'all. I think the closing ceremony tonight will be quite emotional...it's been an amazing 5 days of peace, love and music

they must put something in the water in Byron, because Toots Hibbert was in flirt

mode too. :laugh:
He asked for 6 ladies to join him on stage.."you have too be pretty and you have to be able to dance...":laugh:
He let about 30 up there, plus about 5 guys that sneaked up too.
I was really impressed with the Rich Harper Band. He said he loved listening to Rory Gallagher when he was young and" you should go out and buy every Rory Gallagher album you can find.." He hopped off the stage in one song, when the "Big Bad Girls" came in and started dancing. They were two young women, stilt walkers. They were very cute and had fantastic giant cowgirl outfits and could really dance on those things. They were fantastic. Rich Harper said to me on his way past" I got down here, now I've got to get back":laugh: It was a great moment.
I didn't win the guitar. The first one was won by "The Tree".:laugh:
Solomon Burke had two of his kids doing backing vocals....etc. I think he said he had 21 children, 15 boys and six girls . He had his baby girl Candy and his 5th son, Solomon Burke Jr "The movie star" :laugh: with him. The women in the front row made him laugh, and I wondered what was up? I think it was the same crew got up with Toots and the Maytals the next night. A few of them were wearing bikini tops and tiny skirts and were going off:laugh: and a few of them were really pretty. It was good fun. Michael Franti was the nice surprise guest artist for the closing ceremony. He performed with The String Cheese Incident , a local saxophonist, Xavier Rudd, another saxophonist from Kay Kay and the Rays who jammed with everyone all weekend.They jammed with Stir It Up and Redemption Song.
And to finish things off nicely. Just as I was approaching the last few kilometres home , I turned on the car radio and the announcer said "..coming up, a flashback to U2.."
It was Angel of Harlem
:angel:
:cool:
:applaud:

Solomon Burke is the greatest (still living) soul singer ever. He co-wrote Everybody Needs Somebody To Love and has a superb voice. In 2002 he released his comeback album Don't Give Up On Me. You should definately check that one out, it's a great album. All the songs on that album are written by some of the best songwriters on earth (Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Van Morrison, etc.) and all specifically for Solomon Burke.

http://www.anti.com/artist.php?id=6693&bio=full

:hyper: I just see that there is a live album of him recorded at the North Sea Jazz Festival here in the Netherlands! :hyper:

This photo doesn't do them justice, you can't see how well their costumes were made

A friend of mine is a photographer for my local newspaper. She usually takes sports photos, but I saw her at the bluesfest. They gave her photos and a journalist a double page spread about the Blues and Roots Festival :up:
I'm glad she included a photo of

The Big Bad Girls
Bluesfest2004BigBadGirls.jpg

:) :) :)

I :heart: this one
Bluesfest2004MichaelFranti.jpg

:applaud:

BluesfestApril8-14-2004.jpg

:cool:

I was at the festival. It was my 3rd time and I absolutely love it. It's by far and away the best music festival I've ever been to, every year.

I've got a million highlights I could post, but Cass is doing the job for me.

Will just say that Michael Franti is an incredible person.

Cass, you notice the amount of American accents wandering around Byron Bay over that weekend and at the festival? Me thinks the word is out...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom