U2 vs. Pearl Jam - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2002, 12:28 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:15 AM
U2 vs. Pearl Jam

Interesting question, I think.

My take:

Vocals: the nod goes to Eddie I am afraid. I think he has a more pure singing voice. He has range and sings in tune (something Bono struggles with at times). If you want proof, listen to "Release" from the "10" album. One of the best vocal performances I've ever heard. Bono comes close on WOWY, but I still take Eddie.

Guitar: I think the Gossard/McCready combo is probably more musically proficient than Edge, but Edge gets the nod for originality and creativity. He defined himself with the delay pedal and inspires goosebumps with the axe.

Bass: In the same way the Edge gets the nod on guitar, Ament gets the nod on the bass. He is one of the most creative and influential bassists out there. Adam is cooler, but Ament is better.

Drums: A tie. Both Cameron and Mullen are solid, anal, bad-ass drummers. Cameron also drummed for Soundgarden, which gives him huge points (listen to "Rusty Cage" sometime), but Larry is his equal in many respects.

Live Act: Don't kill me, but PJ puts on a better rock show, IMO.

Your thoughts...

Old 09-10-2002, 12:40 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 09:15 PM
Not a big fan of comparisons, but after U2 Pearl Jam is the band that commands my genuine respect.I can't say more

Old 09-10-2002, 01:00 PM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 06:15 AM
Pearl Jam is the most overrated band ever! They did what, two good songs? They've been a real disappointment in the long run IMO. I don't think anybody really cares about them anymore except a few diehards, and I know their diehards are very outspoken and devoted, which is a good trait in fans. I respect how their fans feel about them, I just don't think PJ deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as U2. You asked!
Old 09-10-2002, 01:02 PM   #4
The Fly

On the suject of musicianship, I prefer U2, but even if PJ techically played their instruments better than Larry, Edge and Adam I'd still choose U2 because I prefer their music. I prefer Bono's voice to Eddie's by far. Bono's voice is better because he doesn't have to scream or growl to sound like he's singing.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:31 PM   #5
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:15 AM
It's clear you prefer U2 to Pearl Jam - and, all things considered, I do too. A big reason I prefer U2 to Pearl Jam is because U2's message is generally positive and uplifting. PJ tends to dwell on the downside of things.

However, I still think PJ is probably a better band overall - musicianship, performance, vocals.

I'd be interested to hear which 2 songs you think are PJ's only good songs?

Why do you think they are overrated? They don't release tons of singles, make videos or win Grammys. How can they be overrated?
Old 09-10-2002, 02:37 PM   #6
The Fly

They're overrated on the internet and on TV, it seems like people are always bringing them up as one of the greatest bands ever and I don't think they deserve it. I like all U2's songs better than PJ's. As I said before even if in some way they are superior musicians, it doesn't matter to me because I like all U2's music better. How about starting a PJ vs. POP poll LOL!
Old 09-10-2002, 03:20 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

What is with all the comparisons lately? Has it escaped anyone's attention that this is a U2 message board? U2 is my favorite band, so obviously I prefer them...although Pearl Jam is pretty cool too. I wouldn't mind seeing them live.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:30 PM   #8
Banned

Pearl Jam - great rock band with guitars , on stage in its best .

U2 great pop band with lyrics and on stage with no voice
Old 09-10-2002, 03:57 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:15 AM
This is a debate I've had for years with my best friend. U2 is of course my #1 fave band, but Pearl Jam would be in the top 5(I would have done anything to see the two of them together when PJ opened up for them back in Zoo TV days).

But as far as who's better? It is subjective, but I think U2 wins hands down. I don't agree with One Tree Still about Eddie's voice being better than Bono's. Bono has a much better range. If you listen to a lot of these no talent modern rock bands on radio today, they all have voices that mimic Eddie's, it's cause it's easy. Don't get me wrong I love his voice and he has a much better range than most (except for on Binaural), but Bono's voice is much better. I've been singing for years and have taken some training here and there and everyone I've worked with would tell you Bono's voice is much more evolved than Eddie's.

Musically they are 2 completely different bands, their approach and there make up make it hard to compare, but I think U2 captures an emotion better than PJ and have a much better sense of diversity.

As far as the message, both bands have stood for something and have become relevant on their own terms, but U2 surpasses PJ by far.

Plus Eddie may look like Jesus, but Bono is the Messiah.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:58 PM   #10
the invisible woman

Local Time: 04:15 AM
crys

Why are you doing this to me?

I U2

I Pearl Jam

I can't decide.

I love Bono's voice... I love Eddie's voice... I love Bono's lyrics.... I love Eddie' 's lyrics... I like McGrady/Ament guitar playing.. I love Edges Guitar playing... et et..

I have seen them both live.... it's tought to say who puts on a better show live.. because the BOTH DO! U2 Live is like an outter body expierence.... Pearl Jam.... WOW, they can just blow the roof out the place with no state of the art stage and stuff... they can just get up there and play and it's amazing! And the atmosphere at PJ concerts are the best!

Gawd damn it I love them both! U2 does get the edge though!
Old 09-10-2002, 04:47 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:15 PM
Hello,

I bought 3 Pearl Jam concert CD's today (those 'official bootleg' ones), so I guess it says enough. As I'm spending too much already on CD's I made me promise myself not to buy anything until U2 releases anything (Electrical Storm singles and Best Of...), unless I buy some other PJ live CD's for a good price. They really do sound amazing live. A great band (although I prefer U2). This thread should be titles U2 vs Pearl Jam but U2 & Pearl Jam.

C ya!

Marty
Old 09-10-2002, 06:41 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by ishkash
Not a big fan of comparisons, but after U2 Pearl Jam is the band that commands my genuine respect.
Same here, in fact, Pearl Jam was my favorite band up until about six months back. I can't really compare the two much though. I mean how does one compare Vitalogy to Pop? Or Binaural to October?
Old 09-10-2002, 06:42 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I like Pearl Jam a lot, and don't think they are overrated. But I would definitely rank U2 higher. C'mon, they are my favorite band or I wouldn't be here! As much as I like Eddie's voice, lyrics and his intensity as a frontman, I think Bono is ahead of him in all three areas. As for the rest of the band, I guess the PJ guys are good technically, but I don't think their guitarist's playing style is nearly as unique and distinctive as Edge's. And although PJ does pack a lot of emotion into their music, it still doesn't come close to U2 in that respect. They also haven't been as experimental as far as trying different musical styles.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:53 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Savannah
I don't think anybody really cares about them anymore except a few diehards
A FEW diehards? Their last tour was seen by nearly a million people around the world, their Touring Band 2000 DVD has actually sold more copies than Elevation and their last album Binaural was purchased by 225,000+ people in its first week of release. There's definitely a lot of people that still care about Pearl Jam.

BTW, need I mention the fact that the band was able to release 70-plus successful live albums in the same year? In fact, the third and final wave of albums had seven of them charting in the Top 200 on the SAME WEEK!

Finally, about the fact that you said they've had only one or two good songs, they've actually had more songs played on the radio from their 90's releases than all but a handful of bands. Alive, Yellow Ledbetter, Better Man, Nothing Man, Corduroy, Not For You, Spin the Black Circle, Jeremy, Even Flow, I Got Id, Black, Given to Fly, Wishlist, Hail Hail, Do the Evolution, In Hiding, Daughter, Elderly Woman..., Dissident, Go, Last Kiss, Nothing as it seems.....these were all big hits on rock stations.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:59 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:15 AM
Savanah needs to rent a tractor to pull his/her head out of his/her ass.

Only 2 songs huh? I guess if it's not on MTV's top 10 it must suck huh? whatever jethro.