U2 vs. Pearl Jam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

One Tree Still

Acrobat
Interesting question, I think.

My take:

Vocals: the nod goes to Eddie I am afraid. I think he has a more pure singing voice. He has range and sings in tune (something Bono struggles with at times). If you want proof, listen to "Release" from the "10" album. One of the best vocal performances I've ever heard. Bono comes close on WOWY, but I still take Eddie.

Guitar: I think the Gossard/McCready combo is probably more musically proficient than Edge, but Edge gets the nod for originality and creativity. He defined himself with the delay pedal and inspires goosebumps with the axe.

Bass: In the same way the Edge gets the nod on guitar, Ament gets the nod on the bass. He is one of the most creative and influential bassists out there. Adam is cooler, but Ament is better.

Drums: A tie. Both Cameron and Mullen are solid, anal, bad-ass drummers. Cameron also drummed for Soundgarden, which gives him huge points (listen to "Rusty Cage" sometime), but Larry is his equal in many respects.

Live Act: Don't kill me, but PJ puts on a better rock show, IMO.

Your thoughts...

Not a big fan of comparisons, but after U2 Pearl Jam is the band that commands my genuine respect.I can't say more

Pearl Jam is the most overrated band ever! They did what, two good songs? They've been a real disappointment in the long run IMO. I don't think anybody really cares about them anymore except a few diehards, and I know their diehards are very outspoken and devoted, which is a good trait in fans. I respect how their fans feel about them, I just don't think PJ deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as U2. You asked!

On the suject of musicianship, I prefer U2, but even if PJ techically played their instruments better than Larry, Edge and Adam I'd still choose U2 because I prefer their music. I prefer Bono's voice to Eddie's by far. Bono's voice is better because he doesn't have to scream or growl to sound like he's singing.

Last edited:
It's clear you prefer U2 to Pearl Jam - and, all things considered, I do too. A big reason I prefer U2 to Pearl Jam is because U2's message is generally positive and uplifting. PJ tends to dwell on the downside of things.

However, I still think PJ is probably a better band overall - musicianship, performance, vocals.

I'd be interested to hear which 2 songs you think are PJ's only good songs?

Why do you think they are overrated? They don't release tons of singles, make videos or win Grammys. How can they be overrated?

They're overrated on the internet and on TV, it seems like people are always bringing them up as one of the greatest bands ever and I don't think they deserve it. I like all U2's songs better than PJ's. As I said before even if in some way they are superior musicians, it doesn't matter to me because I like all U2's music better. How about starting a PJ vs. POP poll LOL!

What is with all the comparisons lately? Has it escaped anyone's attention that this is a U2 message board? U2 is my favorite band, so obviously I prefer them...although Pearl Jam is pretty cool too. I wouldn't mind seeing them live.

Pearl Jam - great rock band with guitars , on stage in its best .

U2 great pop band with lyrics and on stage with no voice

This is a debate I've had for years with my best friend. U2 is of course my #1 fave band, but Pearl Jam would be in the top 5(I would have done anything to see the two of them together when PJ opened up for them back in Zoo TV days).

But as far as who's better? It is subjective, but I think U2 wins hands down. I don't agree with One Tree Still about Eddie's voice being better than Bono's. Bono has a much better range. If you listen to a lot of these no talent modern rock bands on radio today, they all have voices that mimic Eddie's, it's cause it's easy. Don't get me wrong I love his voice and he has a much better range than most (except for on Binaural), but Bono's voice is much better. I've been singing for years and have taken some training here and there and everyone I've worked with would tell you Bono's voice is much more evolved than Eddie's.

Musically they are 2 completely different bands, their approach and there make up make it hard to compare, but I think U2 captures an emotion better than PJ and have a much better sense of diversity.

As far as the message, both bands have stood for something and have become relevant on their own terms, but U2 surpasses PJ by far.

Plus Eddie may look like Jesus, but Bono is the Messiah.:)

:scream: :scream:

Why are you doing this to me?

I :heart: U2

I :heart: Pearl Jam

I can't decide. :sad:

I love Bono's voice... I love Eddie's voice... I love Bono's lyrics.... I love Eddie' 's lyrics... I like McGrady/Ament guitar playing.. I love Edges Guitar playing... et et..

I have seen them both live.... it's tought to say who puts on a better show live.. because the BOTH DO! U2 Live is like an outter body expierence.... Pearl Jam.... WOW, they can just blow the roof out the place with no state of the art stage and stuff... they can just get up there and play and it's amazing! And the atmosphere at PJ concerts are the best!

Gawd damn it I love them both! :cute: :heart: U2 does get the edge though!

Hello,

I bought 3 Pearl Jam concert CD's today (those 'official bootleg' ones), so I guess it says enough. As I'm spending too much already on CD's I made me promise myself not to buy anything until U2 releases anything (Electrical Storm singles and Best Of...), unless I buy some other PJ live CD's for a good price. They really do sound amazing live. A great band (although I prefer U2). This thread should be titles U2 vs Pearl Jam but U2 & Pearl Jam.

C ya!

Marty

ishkash said:
Not a big fan of comparisons, but after U2 Pearl Jam is the band that commands my genuine respect.

Same here, in fact, Pearl Jam was my favorite band up until about six months back. I can't really compare the two much though. I mean how does one compare Vitalogy to Pop? Or Binaural to October?

I like Pearl Jam a lot, and don't think they are overrated. But I would definitely rank U2 higher. C'mon, they are my favorite band or I wouldn't be here! As much as I like Eddie's voice, lyrics and his intensity as a frontman, I think Bono is ahead of him in all three areas. As for the rest of the band, I guess the PJ guys are good technically, but I don't think their guitarist's playing style is nearly as unique and distinctive as Edge's. And although PJ does pack a lot of emotion into their music, it still doesn't come close to U2 in that respect. They also haven't been as experimental as far as trying different musical styles.

Savannah said:
I don't think anybody really cares about them anymore except a few diehards

A FEW diehards? Their last tour was seen by nearly a million people around the world, their Touring Band 2000 DVD has actually sold more copies than Elevation and their last album Binaural was purchased by 225,000+ people in its first week of release. There's definitely a lot of people that still care about Pearl Jam.

BTW, need I mention the fact that the band was able to release 70-plus successful live albums in the same year? In fact, the third and final wave of albums had seven of them charting in the Top 200 on the SAME WEEK!

Finally, about the fact that you said they've had only one or two good songs, they've actually had more songs played on the radio from their 90's releases than all but a handful of bands. Alive, Yellow Ledbetter, Better Man, Nothing Man, Corduroy, Not For You, Spin the Black Circle, Jeremy, Even Flow, I Got Id, Black, Given to Fly, Wishlist, Hail Hail, Do the Evolution, In Hiding, Daughter, Elderly Woman..., Dissident, Go, Last Kiss, Nothing as it seems.....these were all big hits on rock stations.

Savanah needs to rent a tractor to pull his/her head out of his/her ass.

Only 2 songs huh? I guess if it's not on MTV's top 10 it must suck huh? whatever jethro.

U2DMfan said:
Savanah needs to rent a tractor to pull his/her head out of his/her ass.

Only 2 songs huh? I guess if it's not on MTV's top 10 it must suck huh? whatever jethro.

Well excuse me but I was under the impression this was a U2 message board and they would be the ones being defended! :huh:

No I'm not just an MTV person and I have listened to PJ's later stuff but it all sounds alike and isn't very good IMO. U2's catalog has been much more diverse and interesting, not to mention more entertaining. Bono's voice is much easier to listen to.

Savannah said:

Well excuse me but I was under the impression this was a U2 message board and they would be the ones being defended! :huh:

No I'm not just an MTV person and I have listened to PJ's later stuff but it all sounds alike and isn't very good IMO. U2's catalog has been much more diverse and interesting, not to mention more entertaining. Bono's voice is much easier to listen to.

Whoa...This is a U2 message board? What a concept...(I'm not mocking YOU, btw...In fact, I'm agreeing!). Ten was a great album for Pearl Jam, but I haven't really heard anything from them that's struck me since...

U2 all the way!

Savannah said:
They're overrated on the internet and on TV, it seems like people are always bringing them up as one of the greatest bands ever and I don't think they deserve it. I like all U2's songs better than PJ's. As I said before even if in some way they are superior musicians, it doesn't matter to me because I like all U2's music better. How about starting a PJ vs. POP poll LOL!

Thats not a fair thing to say.
CREED are overated.
Pearl Jam are probably the best hard rock band of the 90's.
Pearl Jam are much much more talented musically and technically than U2. Pearl Jam have essentially 3 guitarists (when Eddie plays). Mike McCready is an extremely awesome lead guitarist.

But U2 have more soul, passion and feeling in their music. Personally I prefer the sound of Bono's voice to Eddies, and Bono writes more interesting lyrics for me. And as much as I love Edge's style, it's very very inferior compared to Mike McCready from a technical viewpoint.

But to say Pearl Jam have 2 good songs isn't fair either.
Pearl Jam's Ten and Vs. are legendary rock albums.
I would class Pearl Jams Vs. as one of the best 90's rock albums.
Vs. in my opinion is the next best "hard rock" album since Guns N' Roses released Appetite For Destruction in 1987.

If you don't like Pearl Jam because you think every band might sound like them today, well Pearl Jam were the first you can be sure of it, just as Nirvana started Alternative Rock/Grunge.

But personally I still prefer U2.

Pearl Jam are a great band. If I could ever narrow my favorite bands and artists down to a top ten down they'd be there. But better than U2? No way.
Eddie is...well, he's a hell of an EMOTIONAL singer without actually being much of a technical singer at all. Ever listen to the version of Elderly Woman on Live on two Legs? Woefully out of tune. On a pure emotional level I'd call it a draw. I'd go with Bono and I'm sure anyone who likes Pearl Jam better would go with Vedder. On a technical level it's no contest. Vedder's range can't begin to compare to Bono's. His voice isn't the tool that Bono's is. Bono can moan, growl, croon, howl, roar, bellow AND he can also hit the falsetto. Pretty impressive. I remember Jann Wenner the founder of Rolling Stone said recently that he considered Bono one of the top three voices of the rock and roll era. I would concur.

Edge verses Gossard? Nah, Stone has been on autopilot for about 5 years now. McCready verses Edge? Well McCready can play circles around Edge technically. If that's what matters to you than Mike wins hands down. Listening to McCready live when he channels Hendrix on Yellow Ledbetter can be an extraordinary thing. But...that's what he's doing. Following in the footsteps of some great guitarists like Hendrix. Edge has his influences but he created a whole new language for guitarists. He can create colors and feelings and emotions like no other guitarist alive. He's my pick all the way.

I'd take Jeff Ament over Adam. Adam is perfect for U2 but Ament could play anything AND he plays with emotion and drama which isn't easy for a bass player in a rock band. Adam is probably the most underrated performer in rock and roll but he's met his match here.

Larry verses the four headed drummer for Pearl Jam. Hmmm, how to do this? The first drummer for Pearl Jam quit (or was fired) immediately after Ten was released. His performance on Ten was great but that's studio work. Who knows? Dave Abru#*@#! (spelling?) was a great live drummer but not as impressive on recordings. I'll take Larry. The chili peppers drummer. Crap, what's his name? The guy who joined the band for No Code?? He's a stiff live. Larry all the way. Matt Cameron is a hell of a drummer. I'm not sure he's the right guy for Pearl Jam but I'll take him over Larry by a smidgen.

U2 verses PJ live. Are you serious?? Unless you're talking the early Pearl Jam gigs it's no contest. PJ have gotten progressively worse live and their overforgiving fans applaud whatever they do. These folks will buy 71 live albums and declare each a masterpiece. I've seen PJ live about 7 times. One show was brilliant. Two shows were excellent. Two were pretty damn good and two were substandard for a band that takes pride in it's live act. I caught them in Seattle on their last tour both nights and it was like a different band each night. During the first gig I'm pretty sure Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament dozed off. Eddie appeared to be bolted to the stage in front of his mike. The next night they tore the frickin' roof off. You just never know. I also saw them open for REM at groundworks a year or two ago and they were flat but as usual their fans insisted the show was brilliant and left en masse before REM's (excellent) performance.

U2 is almost always on. They're like pizza and sex. Even a bad gig is good.

Just one man's opinion,
MAP

Does anybody else cringe when they see the term "over-rated." It's become such a cliche that it has totally lost its meaning, you know?

of course I prefer U2, but Pearl Jam is an amazing band with great songs and great integrity, and they've gotten better and better over the years, I think Ten and Yield are masterpieces

One Tree Still said:
However, I still think PJ is probably a better band overall - musicianship, performance, vocals.
you forgot to mention "the songs"
by your definition of a band (= without taking notice of the songs) perhaps Pearl Jam would be the better band
but I don't think U2 and Pearl Jam have their songs written for them (like Britney Spears), but write their own material
in which case I feel the better band is the one writing better songs

U2

Pearl Jam Live

"U2 verses PJ live. Are you serious?? Unless you're talking the early Pearl Jam gigs it's no contest. PJ have gotten progressively worse live and their overforgiving fans applaud whatever they do. These folks will buy 71 live albums and declare each a masterpiece. I've seen PJ live about 7 times. One show was brilliant. Two shows were excellent. Two were pretty damn good and two were substandard for a band that takes pride in it's live act. I caught them in Seattle on their last tour both nights and it was like a different band each night. During the first gig I'm pretty sure Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament dozed off. Eddie appeared to be bolted to the stage in front of his mike. The next night they tore the frickin' roof off. You just never know. I also saw them open for REM at groundworks a year or two ago and they were flat but as usual their fans insisted the show was brilliant and left en masse before REM's (excellent) performance"

Ok this is the biggest load of BULLSHIT I've ever read!!!!! You don't sound like a very big PJ fan, and that's fine...they aren't for everyone. Pearl Jam is THE BEST band live!!!
As far as Groundwork...How many beers had you had before PJ came on cause they are RARELY flat!!!
I have many bootlegs of PJ and have seen them live and they are THE BEST!!! I love U2 live too. Nobody can work a crowd like Bono BUT....PJ at least changes their setlist every show. U2 changes it slightly, but for the most part it's the same every show. Same costumes...everything.
I think you need to see a PJ show with a more open mind next time. Sounds like you went into the show with your mind made up that it was gonna be bad. (look at how you talked about the fans).

PearlJam_U2:mad:

Matthew_Page2000 said:

I also saw them open for REM at groundworks a year or two ago and they were flat but as usual their fans insisted the show was brilliant and left en masse before REM's (excellent) performance.

Um, but don't U2 fans do that too? I mean most U2 fans think that every show they saw is the best and most brilliant show ever!! And to outsiders (or not HUGE U2 fans) the show may be horrible and weak. You can't judge the fans for what they think because all fans that are die hard fans of any artist are going to think like that!

It's not fair to talk about PJ fans like that. U2 fans would buy 71 Live albums if U2 did that too and would declare each of them a masterpiece as well. Of course U2 fans are going to biased, I mean we are in a U2 forum. I just don't like the what you said that about PJ fans.

I don't know why we are comparing these two bands. Ask the same question to PJ fans and you will get the opposite of answers! :|

It's just a matter of choice, you can't really say X is better than Y. (Oh dear lord, Math has infecting my brain) Yah know? What ever tickles your pickle! :D

Last edited:
A very angry PearlJam_U2 said:

*Ok this is the biggest load of BULLSHIT I've ever read!!!!! You *don't sound like a very big PJ fan, and that's fine...they aren't for *everyone. Pearl Jam is THE BEST band live!!!

Easy there. Don't have a cow or anything. Re-read my post. I am a big Pearl Jam fan. I acknowledged areas where Pearl Jam are "better" (to my mind at least) than U2. I explained that Pearl Jam are one of my ten favorite rock acts ever. Let me also add that I own all of their albums, many of their singles, several of their official live albums and about 20 bootleg performances of their gigs. I've seen them live SEVEN times. I listen to most of their albums frequently. (The coma inducing Binaural being the one exception.) I have been a fan since 1992. My favorite album is Vitalogy. I don't think that they suck now-- I really love most of No Code and Yield. What more do I have to say?

PearlJam_U2 goes on to exclaim:

*As far as Groundwork...How many beers had you had before PJ *came on cause they are RARELY flat!!!
*I have many bootlegs of PJ and have seen them live and they *are THE BEST!!!

No beers. I try not to get hammered at gigs by bands I really love--SUCH AS PEARL JAM. I save the drinking for the Matchbox 20 concerts and the like that I am occasionally talked into attending. The beer helps to dull the excruciating pain of listening to Rob Thomas and his ilk "emote." Pearl Jam just weren't on that night. In MY OPINION. I was at the show with several friends, two of whom are obsessive Pearl Jam fanatics to a frightening extreme (God bless 'em) and they agreed that it was an average gig at best by Pearl Jam's exacting standards. Eddie was drunk. Stone Gossard acted like a confused fan accidentally stuck on stage. It was an off show--these things happen to great bands too. I've heard a few U2 bootlegs, (PopMart in Vegas in particular) where they basically sucked too. I just think that U2 are more consistently brilliant live than Pearl Jam are.

PearlJam_U2 adds:

*love U2 live too. Nobody can work a crowd like Bono BUT....PJ at *east changes their setlist every show. U2 changes it slightly, but *or the most part it's the same every show. Same *ostumes...everything.

UH-HUH!!! Now we are on to something. The slavish fawning bestowed on Pearl Jam's live performances by their fans is similar to that which the DeadHeads bestowed upon the Gratefull Dead. All the Dead had to do was mix the setlist up a bit and their fans would rave about how "brilliant" the show was. I remember a Dead show I saw in Vermont a couple of months prior to Jerry Garcia's death. Bob Dylan opened for them. Now, this was just about the time when ole Bob had started to get his shit back together again and he put on a hell of a performance--WHICH THE DEAD-HEADS IGNORED!! I was at the very front of the stage and Dylan was so on I got up and started cheering. The so called music "fans" around me booed and told me to sit down. Then the Dead took the stage and put on a terrible show. (Suffice it to say that I wasn't surprised when Jerry died a bit later--he appeared to be near death during the show) But all the Dead fans I asked after the show said they though the show was "great" and "brilliant" etc, etc. My point being that Pearl Jam's fans acted just like the Dead fans during Groundworks. They gave PJ a free pass for an average gig and then had the audacity to walk out before REM finished the show. Very tacky.

U2 fans on the other hands expect a lot out of U2 live. If the boys are off by just a little bit people bitch and moan about it to such an extent that one would think they had murdered kittens on-stage. To this day I still hear people bitching about some of the early PopMart gigs. I dunno. Maybe it's just me.

MAP

My 2 favourite bands.
Period.
End of fookin story.
U2 fan since 1982.
PJ fan since 1992.
I really dislike the 'vs' part of the title of this thread.
Dammit.
It's not a fookin competition.
Both bands share equal space in my heart.
To get my drooling over with....
Did someone mention Eddie as Jesus? Here's Jesus with a fookin camera!!LOLOLOL!
:drool:
spotk19.jpg

Hey Mel and Monica!! I just had to.....and so Pleba invades Everything you know is wrong :lmao:
This is a great thread.
I've read each and every response twice over.
This debate...if you ask me...is a bunch o' blarney blarney blarney.
Please please...let's not fookin compare them! :scream:
They both rock.
They both are immensely talented.
They both are sexy as fookin hell.
Their music-as a collective- truly are the soundtrack of my life.
I don't know what I would do without my In Hiding or my The Fly or my Betterman or my Wild Honey...or my U...or my Bad....or my Wishlist....or my Beautiful Day...
Get my fookin point?
They belong together at the fookin top. The both of them.
All we need is love.
No competition.
Both rock live beyond words.
Both make music that will be doing that Mozart thang that will be remembered for many many years to come.
Both have their on and off shows.
That's a part of being fucking human for fook's sake.
To me...there's no comparison.
They both are absofuckinglutely my world.
Need help?
Look at my "location". LMFAO!!!!:laugh:
Eddie. Bono.
Both sing their fookin arses off. Very different voices. Yes.
But both equally give me freakin goosebumps when they have their moments.
When Eddie sings Black :shocked: :drool:
When Bono sings Bad :shocked: :drool:
They're all talented. Period. End of Story.
Mike and Edge and Larry and Matt and Jeff and Adam and Stone.
Eddie and Bono.
Mmmmm.
Eddie and Bono. Let that one light up yer fookin Christmas tree.
Peace love and muchas smoochas.
:heart: Autumn

Last edited:
I absolutely disagree that Eddie is better vocally than Bono. Bono has a far greater range in terms of the notes he is able to hit (I don't for one minute believe Eddie would be able to do the falsetto in Lemon, for example). Lyrically, I prefer U2.

Jeff Ament is likely a better bassist than Adam, but I prefer the Edge to McCready/Gossard.

I prefer U2, but have seen both live. U2 puts on a better show, IMO, because Bono is a better performer than Eddie. Not necessarily a better singer, but he is more outgoing, and able to communicate more effectively with the audience, eliciting a greater response. Pearl Jam puts on a great show, solid 2+ hours of varied tunes each night, and I'd pay to see them again. I just didn't get as uplifted by Eddie as I did by Bono, but that is possibly due to the fact I prefer U2 to PJ, so there is some bias involved.

Both great bands, far better than a load of other dreck we have on the radio nowadays.

pr0digy said:

Thats not a fair thing to say.
CREED are overated.
Pearl Jam are probably the best hard rock band of the 90's.

I really don't get the Creed bashing and the Pearl Jam praise on this board. They sound a lot a like to me. How can you adore one and trash the other? :shrug: I'd rather hear U2 than either.

My vote for best rock band of the 90's- Oasis

Best hard rock band of the 90's- STP

Back
Top Bottom