U2 vs all other bands... where will they rank in the end?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hallucination

Refugee
O.k. so I've been trying, trying is the key word, to have a conversation with Gn'R fans at heretodaygonetohell.com about who in the grand scheme of things will be remembered as the better band; U2 or Guns N' Roses? It wasn't my idea to start such a debate at a Gn'R site, I was "challenged to ask the question" Obviously the answer is U2 but pretty much everyone(but not all) who has responded is unable to look at it objectively. They all conclude that Guns N' Roses will rank higher than U2 when all is said and done. Ridiculous. I try to explain that it's not about who you like better but who will be widely regarded as better. It's like the Beatles. Widely regarded as the best band ever. Are they the best ever to me? No. Is it a valid arguement that they are? Yes. Anyways that's kinda where the idea for this topic came from. Bands aren't typically given the proper due untill they've been long gone. It's hard to really asses a band when they're still in the midst of their careers. An exception might be The Rolling Stones but to be honest their relevance has pretty much been non existant since the 80's so it's easier to place them in their spot in then the annals of rock music. Shit I'm rambling here.... What I'm getting at is do you think U2 could possibly be regarded as the best band of all time once their careers are done. After years have passed and people look back at what they accomplished do you think they could be up there with the Beatles? Would they be higher up than Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin or Queen or The Rolling Stones or even Guns N' Roses:laugh: In my personal opinion and not just because U2 is my favorite, I think they deserve to be looked upon as the greatest band of all time. If not at the very least the second best. Really they've managed to do what no other band has ever done. Continue to put out relevant quality material for almost 26 years. They are still the top touring draw 26 years into their career. Sure the Stones are also a top draw but their ability to move records and make quality albums is suspect nowadays even with a great A Bigger Bang album. Anyways if I could articulate better this post would have only been a few sentences long but you all get the drift. What are your opinions? Where will U2 rank?

Last edited:
They will remain in the top 5 for decades to come. GnR will just be a blip, top 25 for awhile but future bands will soon push it out of that ranking.

Re: Re: U2 vs all other bands... where will they rank in the end?

inmyplace13 said:

It is my sincerely objective opinion that this belongs in EYKIW.

yeah I wasn't sure about that. I thought since alot of other bands might come into the conversation it might belong in here.:| I mean even though this is a U2 board this room isn't neccesarrily a U2 room so I thought the objectiveness of people might be a bit better in here.

I don't really feel like typing out a well thought out response, but I pretty much agree with the both of yous.

That is, of course, unless U2 continues their trend of making Grammy-bait albums like ATYCLB and Hut Dab. I don't think they'll ever make an interesting, unique album again, but I hope they prove me wrong.

MrBrau1 said:
They're top 5 right now regardless of any further output.

Who else would you consider in the top 5? And where do you think U2 will end up, when it's all said and done? Or is it, as Hallucination pointed out, too difficult to tell while their career is still ongoing?

I have an ever rotating top 5.

U2 are always there.

The Rolling Stones, REM, The Beatles, Bowie, Zeppelin, Queen, Bruce, etc. always cycle in and out, but U2 is always there.

They've released 2 of the greatest records in music history, and stuck around for 25+ years and always been quality.

Last edited:
Good list. :up: Not that I agree with all of them, but I can certainly see how others would. I really like that you included Queen though. They're definitely one of the greats, but often overlooked, unfortunately.

I suck at making lists of things that are so subjective. And, I also suck at ranking things while they're still current (eg: I can't rank HTDAAB yet - and I probably won't be able to know where it fits in for me until the next record is released).

By using criteria like sales, tours, musical relevancy over time, and longevity, U2 probably should end up being number one. Quite possibly the only category they're lacking in is the whole breadth of their influence on music as a whole, and that's gotta go to the Beatles.

Interesting to consider, though.

VintagePunk said:

Who else would you consider in the top 5? And where do you think U2 will end up, when it's all said and done? Or is it, as Hallucination pointed out, too difficult to tell while their career is still ongoing?

The top 5 of all time at the moment are:

1. Beatles
2. Rolling Stones
3. Led Zeppelin
4. U2
5. Pink Floyd

The Beatles are one of those strange anonymities for me, I know a lot of their stuff and respect and love what they did for music, but don't own a lot of it.

The fact that people find the Beatles untouchable bothers me. I wouldn't go as far as saying they are overated but very close. I think being the first true universally loved rock band puts them in an unfair advantage when it comes to this type of thing.

I think in some aspects U2 has done more than the Beatles, and in others may not have the influence of the Beatles. They aren't untouchable!

Rolling Stones ARE overated. Rolling Stones are an amazing band don't get me wrong. But they have always been far too straight forward, and they may have influenced thousands, they never really pushed the medium.

Just my opinion...

Top five are:

1. The beatles (just because)
2. U2
3. The Stones
4. Led Zeppelin
5. The Who, The Clash, Queen, REM, Pink Floyd, My Morning Jacket (give them time, as they are unheralded).

BonoVoxSupastar said:
The Beatles are one of those strange anonymities for me, I know a lot of their stuff and respect and love what they did for music, but don't own a lot of it.

The fact that people find the Beatles untouchable bothers me. I wouldn't go as far as saying they are overated but very close. I think being the first true universally loved rock band puts them in an unfair advantage when it comes to this type of thing.

I think in some aspects U2 has done more than the Beatles, and in others may not have the influence of the Beatles. They aren't untouchable!

Rolling Stones ARE overated. Rolling Stones are an amazing band don't get me wrong. But they have always been far too straight forward, and they may have influenced thousands, they never really pushed the medium.

Just my opinion...

I completely agree with this. I think people tend to have this nostalgia fetish, and that's part of the reason they're so highly regarded.

I know on the classic rock spectrum they rank a bit low. I mean they do rank on thier, but overshadowed by floyd,stones,billy joel, elton john, led zep, the who ,eagles, etc. I have called u2 a miniture classic rock or classic rock jr. lol. casue they have lengh enough ( i mean the others have longer,but 26 years is 26 years, u stop counting after a while,once ur old ur old. stones have been "officaly" old since 1989 )and a number of hits, and this and that but do not dominate like the bands above. Their not nothing either. They do have a place on classic rock, just not as big as others. And they won;t penatrate it anytime soon either.

I think when all is said and done U2 will rank very highly in the end. To be so consistent all these years whilst also making 2 of the greatest albums of all time is pretty impressive. An even more impressive fact i believe is that after a quarter of a century they are yet to make a bad album. Most great bands throughout their careers make at least one poor album but imo U2 haven't done that yet and it's one of the reasons why they are still here today. I think their consistancy is remarkable..

1stepcloser said:
Queen were good. Bit cheesy though

Yeah, they had their cheesy moments. But that was mainly towards the end of their career. Some of the early stuff they did in the 70s was amazing.

I don't think U2 will be widely thought of as #1 down the road.

The main reason for this is because The Beattles had so many #1 hits on the charts. Many of U2 singles barely crack the top 25 with few ever getting down to single digits.

50 years from now, when society looks back, it will be The Beattles as #1 w/ The Stones, The Who, and probably Zeppelin (in any order).

What prevents many modern day bands from cracking the top 5 or 10 will be longevity. Bands tend to break up after a handful of records. There are a few modern bands who have remained in tact and still put out music, but haven't necessarily remained in the spot light such as REM and Pearl Jam. Yes, many of us are big fans of REM & PJ but universally speaking, aren't in the public's eye (or ear for that matter).

1stepcloser said:
Queen were good. Bit cheesy though

'Bit cheesy' is probably understatement of the year. A well known motto of Queen was "What's worth doing is worth over-doing". Getting off-topic now...

U2 is my number one favourite band. Some others come close, but not that close.

Zoomerang96 said:
lame thread.

You're just pissed Matchbox Twenty hasn't been named on anyone's list, yet. Put your hurt feelings aside and give us some solid input. It's ok, you can put Matchbox number 1. Nobody will make fun of you. Remember, I've always got your back, buddy!!!

Hallucination said:
who in the grand scheme of things will be remembered as the better band; U2 or Guns N' Roses?

How can this be a legitimate question? Why don't you ask those folks at that site why Axl followed U2 around like a sick puppy dog on the Zoo TV tour?

I'll tell you why. It's because he knew he was beat. AB changed his world and he bacame an obsessive follower of U2 because he so badly wanted to compete with them and eventually beat them.

AB turned Axl into a nut because he set out to make Chinese Democracy as his AB oneupsmanship. Now, here we are 15 yrs later and he still hasn't delivered due to the phychosis AB helped bring out of him.

Axl Rose is to U2 what Brian Wilson is to the Beatles. Nutballs who were partially driven over the edge by trying to compete with the best of their generation.

Re: Re: U2 vs all other bands... where will they rank in the end?

Layton said:

How can this be a legitimate question? Why don't you ask those folks at that site why Axl followed U2 around like a sick puppy dog on the Zoo TV tour?

I'll tell you why. It's because he knew he was beat. AB changed his world and he bacame an obsessive follower of U2 because he so badly wanted to compete with them and eventually beat them.

AB turned Axl into a nut because he set out to make Chinese Democracy as his AB oneupsmanship. Now, here we are 15 yrs later and he still hasn't delivered due to the phychosis AB helped bring out of him.

Axl Rose is to U2 what Brian Wilson is to the Beatles. Nutballs who were partially driven over the edge by trying to compete with the best of their generation.

nice theory
pow.gif

Layton said:

You're just pissed Matchbox Twenty hasn't been named on anyone's list, yet. Put your hurt feelings aside and give us some solid input. It's ok, you can put Matchbox number 1. Nobody will make fun of you. Remember, I've always got your back, buddy!!!

i'm way better than you at everything, both good and bad.

which makes me far more important, interesting and relevant.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom